1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

got some young 2012 modules

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by scotman27, Apr 10, 2014.

1. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    ok, they have been on resistors now for 2 hrs. voltages are between 7.89 and 7.88v. i dont like the looks of this. i still have 7 1/2 hours to go. what do you guys think. am i panicking or does everything seem normal?

the resistors are 1w 70 ohm resistors. from here
    50 Pcs 68 Ohm 1W Flame Proof Power Resistors | eBay

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The first part will be quick because the cells at 8.1V are actually a little over charged. Once they reach 7.8V, the rate of discharge will rapidly flatten out. But you are seeing exactly what the load resistors should do. We want the current rate through the load resistors to be >>10x the self-discharge rate. This is the only way we can get a reasonable metric.

Wait an hour, and survey the modules, and do it again an hour or so later. Those two points will be on the 'straight line' part of the discharge curve. We can use that rate and the lower limit to estimate the Ahr capacity.

The rule of thumb is 6.5V should be your 'floor' for a normal discharge. Anything under 6.5V and you're getting close to the DO NOT DROP BELOW 6.0V range. Once you get below 5.8V, you are in 'uncharted territory.'

So are the resistors pretty HOT?

Bob Wilson

3. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    i made up a heatsink out of copper and was frying eggs on the resistors heat, made me a nice omelet for the morning hours lol just kidding:p . darn right they are hot, i dont even have to touch them, 1/4 inch away i can feel the heat., i got my tower fan blowing across them.

so so far from what your seeing, everything looks good?

how many hours should i leave these on for, 9 or 10 or go 9 1/2 hrs?
    and when checking the voltages at the end of the testing, do i pull the resistors then check voltage and record(any rest time between)? or check voltage with the resistors connected and record?

4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You are good to go!

Do you go to work at 3:00 PM, about 2.5 hrs from now?

Bob Wilson

5. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    no im off today woo hoo. i got all day, im figuring around 9:15 to 9:45 to end the test since i started the test at 12:15, would that be correct?

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Excellent!

You are in great shape. Check them every 1-2 hours and life is good. Heck, put the numbers and time in the spreadsheet and we can look at the discharge graph.

Bob Wilson

7. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I saw that chart, how the heck do i use that?

8. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I know on the discharge metric sheet i plugged in70 ohms the 8.13 as start voltage, 7.81 as voltage at 2hrs 45 min and it came up with 1.96 ahr, so i think i messed that up.

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That is absolutely working as expected. Think about it, you've only dropped .03 or .04 volts or 3/100ths. Not significant at all. A bad module would likely drop to 7.5 or less in as little as ten minutes (depending on capacity).

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After you are done with the battery module testing, measure the resistance of the resistors and see how close to 70 ohms they are, after cooking for so many hours.

11. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    not yet, i think the testing is done at 9:15pm tonight thats 9 hrs of time. Bob is this correct or do i need to be at the 9 1/2 hr mark which is 9:45pm.

12. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    i just checked them again voltages are between 7.66 and 7.58v. what do you think so far?

13. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok,

Let's 'back of the envelope':
    • 7.89V @1:12 PM (posting time), highest voltage
    • 7.58V @3:38 PM (posting time), lowest voltage
    • 0.31V / 1:26 hr ~= 0.22V/hr.
    • 5 hr * 0.22V/hr ~= 1.1V drop, expected
    • 7.58V - 1.1V ~= 6.48V around 3:38 + 5Hr ~= 8:38 PM, earliest expected stop
    Now these are 'back of the envelope', which is engineer for an estimate and using the worst case metrics for the posting time stamps. You may have more accurate times. The real proof is to monitor the voltages and if any of them get down to 6.5V, take the resistors off and call the experiment done. But I suspect you won't be in that range until closer to 8:38 PM this evening.

At that point, take a short break, 5-10 minutes, and measure the module voltages. You will then have a list of strongest to weakest. Then use the spreadsheet to calculate the expected Ahr capacity of each module.

My experience with the MRC 989 is:
    • 4.5Ah or higher - great!
    • 3.5Ah or higher - servicable
    • 2.5Ahr or higher - hummm
    • lower - uh oh, marginal, avoid using
    Now this is not a 'glass half empty or half full' but you have already verified there are no shorted cells in the modules. Having the weighted values, you'll have enough to identify the pairs for the new stack.

The "new" specifications for these modules is:
    • 7.2V @1.2V per cell for 6 cells
    • 6.5Ahr discharge, typically at 1C
    So using 70 ohms and 7.89V (worst case), 0.113 A, which is 0.018C, a gentle discharge. We are getting quality data to measure the Ahr capacity of these modules. This is one of the reasons why I suggested taking a sample of low capacity and high capacity modules and using your RC charger to see what number it reports. <grins>

This is good, in fact, a very good, well controlled test. Patience, monitor the voltages and as I mentioned earlier, don't let the weakest drop below 6.5V and you're in high cotton.

Bob Wilson

14. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    just did voltages again. .lowest is 7.34 highest is 7.41v. am i to stop the test at 8.38? that would be 8hrs 23 mins of time with the resistors. or do i need to record the 6.5 volt module and keep going until the 9:15 mark?

sorry for the questions. i just want to do this right so i dont have to do it again.

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Stop at 8:38, OR stop if any module voltages get down to 6.5V, whichever comes first.

bwilson4web likes this.
  16. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    ok will do. stop at 8:38 and take the resistors off correct?
    let rest for 5 to ten mins correct?
    then record voltages correct?

OR
    stop at 8:38 record voltages with resistors on or take resistors off and immediately record voltages.

i think he want me to do the top steps. but i want to be sure.

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Correct, disconnect the resistors, let the modules rest for 5-10 minutes, then measure their voltages.

After the resistors cool down, pls measure their resistances and see if they have drifted from the original 70 ohm values that you measured. Thanks.

18. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    ok i will do that. thank you very much

19. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Close enough since the original target was 9:15 . . . we're looking pretty good already and 33 minutes is not going to be a 'show stopper.' The 6.5V should be considered the floor only to provide 'head room' or pad away from 5.8-6.0V that should be treated as a hard limit. More technical details later.
    Questions are always OK and they have been good ones. Often technical folks forget not everyone 'plays' with our toys. <grins>

To put things into perspective, these modules are considered 100% charged at 7.2V and your latest metrics are above that number. You haven't even reached that level. <grins>

Now looking at the worst case voltage difference, 7.41 - 7.34 ~= 0.07V. This is early but excellent numbers for matched modules. Remember the Prius threshold for a throwing a code is 0.30V between module pairs. Stacked badly, two strong and two weak, the worst case would be ~0.14V, less than half the 0.30V that would throw a code. But you'll pair the weakest and strongest pair, which make the difference well under the 0.30V. This preliminary data is very good!

Ok, we went with basic, simple load resistors and an alert technologist with a clock and interest. But there are two other load approaches that would work for less committed or skilled technologists:
    1. 6.0-6.5V Zener and current limiting resistor - the Zener would stop current flow once the voltage reached the limit. However, most of the power would be absorbed by the Zener. A 6.0V Zener sinking 100 ma would be about 0.6W . . . owch! The current limiting resistor would barely heat up.
    2. 6.0-6.5V Zener wired a pair of bias resistors to the base of an NPN transistor and 50-70 ohm load resistors - the Zener controls turning ON the NPN transistor until the voltage drops enough. Then the transistor turns off and the module is safely discharged. Best of all, the transistor drops ~1.2V and the rest is dropped across the resistor . . . a good thing!
    One variation is to put a LED and current limiting resistor across the load resistor. When the Zener stops conducting, the LED goes out. The Zener provides an automatic, shutoff that protects the module from over discharge. Setup a video recorder taking one shot every 1-5 seconds and the play back will easily identify the modules in order. BUT these are the idle musings of an engineer thinking 'if we ever have to do this again . . . in French.' <grins>

Bob Wilson

20. scotman27

scotman27 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    One
    i went put and bought a new charger. the hitec x4 charger so i can cycle the prius modules. i can do 4 at a time. its a pretty cool charger.
    bob or anyone else, your help may be needed when i go to set this up for the prius modules.