1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Got the cops called on me. Thanks JBL

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Rocknroad, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Rocknroad

Rocknroad New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    So. My recently purchased P3 has a 500w JBL stereo system.

I know this isn't news to you who know, but this car is all new to me.
    My 16 y/o son jumped in and wanted to see what it "had" as did I. I'm a retiring audiophile.

Pretty impressive as a stock system. Got the "nod" from my son. But we didnt get the 'nod' from the cops.

Clearly our neighbors didn't appreciate loud music and extended their disapproval to me.

So now I can honestly say the stereo system in my Prius got me in trouble with the law.

Burna J likes this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The windows must have been down. :p

SCH-I535

3. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good for your neighbors! Must not have been the first time.

4. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Why have 500 watts if you can't use it? Its like owning a Porsche, but can only drive 65 MPH. Live life people! YOLO! ;)

5. Rocknroad

Rocknroad New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @gliderman - not the first time at all. One of my sons is a musician - drummer. Having the cops out to the house is routine. He's so good however they've walked up to watch him play.

I'm not usually the reason;)

6. GrGramps

GrGramps Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    My audiologist would say, "90mm canons and loud music contribute to my livelihood".:)

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got competing emotions here. :)

I hate jackasses who roll around playing music loud enough to shake rust off of a screen door, but I'm a motorcyclist and one of my bikes ('06 VRSCD) has a non-OEM exhaust that's borderline with sound legality. It's legal here, but probably not in all municipalities. This means that I've probably been the jackass that I loathe, but at the same time I try very hard not to be.
    Throttle discipline, and time and location can allow me to enjoy WOT starts without all of the local police knowing my first name! :)
    I take my bike out of town to work on it, and I've literally walked the bike out into the street away from houses to start and ride away. When I'm in town I keep my RPM as low as practical.

While it's true that YOLO, you don't have to interfere with everybody else while doing so.
    After all....they only live once too, and not everybody likes loud pipes or the crap that people play in their cars. ;)

One time a few years ago, I was idling at the stop light and some punk in a $500 car with a $1500 sound system came rolling up with his windows down and his volume up.
    He literally drowned out my bike.....until.....
    I cracked open the throttle and sat there with my engine turning at 8,000 rpm.

The punk idled away glaring at my bike and I got round of applause from the cars around me. :D

Sometimes?
    It's not the volume.
    I've had the bike for 8 years and have never been stopped for loud pipes, or complained to or about by my neighbors AFAIK.
    YMMV.

robertk328 and Zythryn like this.
  8. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Your rights end where your neighbors' ears begin.
    If you want to play loud music, fine, just don't do it with the windows down.

The stereo didn't get the cops called on you, your behavior did.

GrumpyCabbie and edthefox5 like this.
  9. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The stereo did not get you in trouble. You got yourself in trouble by turning it up so loud.

edthefox5 and Zythryn like this.
  10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My opinion on this could be somewhat tempered by the knowledge of how long the offending noise was allowed to go on...and what time of day or night it was.

I think very late at night....it's not appropriate. I think very early in the morning it's not appropriate.

I think during the day, evening a certain amount of "noise pollution" in an urban area should be expected. Stereo's will be turned on, Leaf Blowers, Lawn Mowers etc...etc....

But this should all be finite. In other words, once your lawn is mowed...turn off the mower.

Pushing or testing the volume capabilities of your stereo system, as a one time operation, shouldn't take more than a few seconds. Then IMO you should adjust it to a normal or reasonable level.

If you let it go on for so long a period that people were upset, and cops were called, I have to suspect the fault lies with the operator and not law enforcement.

I find it interesting that we live in an age with great popularity for headphones and earbuds and "personal" audio and visual entertainment.

But for some reason, when it comes to car stereos, some people think it is NOT a personal audio system (which IMO it is) but instead should be used as a public loud speaker system.

Yeah, not everyone appreciates loud music, or YOUR personal choice in loud music. Just because you can make everyone in a 2 block radius hear your music? Doesn't mean you should.

Zythryn likes this.
  11. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would be scared to push my JBL too hard fearing the distortion would kill the speakers forever. Now seeing this thread makes me feel a little better about the system.

12. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I'm glad he is not my neighbor. I already have one like him across the street.

edthefox5 likes this.
  13. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My mother-in-law also had one across the street that would literally rattle her windows so much I thought they were going to break. We simply asked them to turn it down and cops never had to be called, though they'd do it again on other days, usually weekends or holidays showing off for guests. I believe Phoenix still has a noise pollution law that restricts car audio levels.

14. Gallatin

Gallatin New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's funny. The people who dislike loud music are often the same ones using snow-blowers, weed-whackers, hiring chem lawn diesel trucks, and mowing their lawn three times a week (or hiring a service to come into the neighborhood and make far more noise than any stereo). They also tend to be the ones that have shouting matches across the yard, and have their TV's blaring 24/7.

The aggregated decibels and overall impact of obsessive and unnecessary lawn work in the suburbs far, far exceeds that of a few people and their stereos.

Instead of chastising the loud music, maybe they should listen a bit. They might actually like the artist, and the result may bring some culture into their lives other than televised sports and yard work.

The suburbs, especially, are in need of a jolt of culture and life.

I'm a wilderness photographer who spends three months a year in the wildest, most remote country in the lower 48. I know what quiet is.

Anything within a 300 mile radius of Chicago isn't quiet. I love the peace, but I also love culture. And people who knowingly move to places with high population densities like the city and suburbs cannot expect the level of quiet you get in the Bob Marshall Wilderness complex.

#14 Gallatin, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  15. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    There is a difference in culture than idiots who turn their stereos on in their cars so loud that they shake the earth and cars around them. Same goes for the ones who do it in their homes as well.

16. Gallatin

Gallatin New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Anyone who uses a lawnmower or snowblower is much louder.

As someone who spends time working from home, lawn crews, mowers, leaf blowers, etc are far more noisy and intrusive--especially people who constantly play home improvement (re-slabbing driveway, etc).

It's amazing how loud and bad for the environment the lawn industry is.

orenji likes this.
  17. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :ROFLMAO:...Try working graveyard shift for a while.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you join just to complain about the lawn industry?:rolleyes:

what did the cops say?

#18 bisco, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2014
    edthefox5 likes this.
  19. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've never had a lawn crew or even a street maintenance crew running a jackhammer right out front ever rattle the windows. Unless you're willing to stop by when they're on, you have no idea how loud they are. I have never heard a system that loud before or since. I wish I had gone over to take a look to see just what he had. Oh, and I'm not talking about turning them up just to show off, a few minutes for that would have been no problem. I'm talking about leaving them turned up over 10 minutes with no intention of turning them down because it was party time. Yes, it was during the day and it was someone visiting, but there's something wrong when you are 3 houses away and can't hear yourselves talk in your own home with the doors and windows closed. They were nice about it, but shouldn't have needed to be asked.

20. Beachnut

Beachnut Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would like to see him, or hear him play those drums too! Has he tried Remo Rings? (They deaden the sound of drums). I have been a life long drummer. I gave my kit to our church, as I am "storing" (and using), my Son's Ludwig kit at my house while he is in a condo. I was banging away on that fantastic Ludwig Kit this morning at 8:30 a.m. with no problem,-- as they are in our basement, and can not be heard past any of our property lines. My son bought a high end electronic drum kit, and uses head phones so as not to drive his condo neighbors crazy. Yet, those electronic pads make you sound perfect, every time, no matter how or where you hit them, so when he plays on his old REAL drum set here, he is embarrassed at how "bad" he sounds! (As it REALLY matters where and how you hit them!)

I do not so much mind loud music, passing by from a car. But dont get me started on the "boom, Boom,, BA-BOOM" of those stinking sub woofers that are driving our youth to early hearing aids as they go by. We have a neighbor that is out late all the time, comes home, and our house is shaking from his "BOOM, Ba-BOOMing sub woofer. :mad: Now that,, might be worth making a complaint over! At least when you hear the Music,, the actual tune, --- it just might be a good song!!!o_O