1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GPS Question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Michael Herr, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Michael Herr

Michael Herr New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there a way that I can change settings in my GPS to display the direction when asking for a POI? If you ask the GPS to find the next Target, for example, it will pull up all of the multiple entries, now its great that it shows me the closest one, but suppose I am not going that way. If I am heading south, and the closest one is 1.5 miles north and the next one is 5 miles south, I would rather go to the one that is south being as I am traveling that way. But I cannot find a way to determine the direction of any of the POI's without selecting them and actually allowing the GPS to load the directions.

Any ideas?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nope. Stock nav won't do it, and I have no idea why. My Microsoft Streets and Trips from 2003 I used in my CarPC had that option. There was closest, quickest, and closest to planned route. I have never since seen such an option in another nav program which is a real shame.

3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I use a Garmin nuvi 2455 in my PiP. I find it much more useful than the built-in nav. When that fails, I always have Google Nav on my smartphone which usually beats the other two.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On the Denso units (7"), it should as that was the improvement for the Gen 6 nav for the 2010 Prius. It'll show an arrow and distance at the end of each entry/line. (e.g. you search for Target, it'll show Target as the top results with x number of Target stores in the database within y miles. Choose Target and it'll then list all Target stores with direction and distance).

I can't remember how the Harmon Kardon systems work (Display Audio 6.1"). Those are the ones with the Garmin-like navigation interface.

See attached Prius MultiMedia Overview for those who are looking for the 2010-2011 7" DVD-based nav versions (may also apply to 2012+ models with the 7" hard drive nav)

Attached Files:

5. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Right but that's not quite the same as what M$ had in the early 2000's and what I got from the OP's question.

It is great to know that the Target is 5miles NW and 10.6 SW but that is not as helpful as if you are going from A to B, I want the one that is closest to the route. So even if it is 50miles away, but directly off of the route 0.1mi, it should be first. Not the one that is along the route 5miles away that is 4miles off the route. I have seen no modern GPS tackle this problem.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's the "along route" option as well as "near destination". Both my TomTom and Toyota nav offer those options (with the TomTom a bit more flexible by offering "near city centre" but that's downtown of course)

7. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to use these features while the vehicle is moving, one of the main reasons I keep my Garmin Nuvi handy. And to add insult to injury, the Prius locks out these features as well as a lot of local POIs. As I noted in my trip report in another thread, I tried searching for a local restaurant in Cody WY and it would only find it after I stopped the car. If you know how to make the Prius look "along route" while moving using "find next.....", please let me know.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree, it's a bit annoying. The manual isn't very detailed in how to use the navigation system. I thought it was stupid that you couldn't find nearby italian restaurants for example (But only "restaurants" and it only lists 3. Yippee). I think you had to navigate the menus to find the "Find Local POI" feature that I believe is available while moving.

Sure thing. I haven't figured that out yet, either and I've had the car for 5 years. :(