1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

gps with old map

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dirtnapper, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone know how to check the map version on the gps that comes with the Prius v?
    I got a 2014 in April. Noticed that there some thing not showing on the map, but, it came to a wakeup when I had to go for my 5K maintenance while out of state in VA this summer. I was trying to get to Casey Toyota in Williamsburg, but it took me to the old address on Richmond Rd. and not Rochambeau Dr. When I got there they said they hadn't been there for over a year. They couldn't do anything but said to call Toyota Care about a map update.
    Went today for the 10K, same thing, call TC. I called, what a useless call. After speaking with two people, the second person said that if there is problem with the gps I need to bring it in, they would run some tests. I tried patiently to explain, I was looking for a free map update, explained again what happened; the gps had an outdated data base.. the unit was working for the addresses it had, the places were gone. It came across to me that unless they found something wrong with the physical unit I was out of luck.
    Also irked by the fact that we bought the extra protection inside and out - 2300$ for Toyota Care. Can you imagine buying a laptop, gps, phone etc. today and getting home and not able to update unless you paid. I feel that the software should come with the latest update, and thereafter it is up to me to keep it up. Anyone else??? Thanks.

2. schmuly

schmuly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    We don't use our nav in the Prius v, but we have a Garmin mounted on top that has lifetime updates. The Garmin does so much more and it was under a hundred used. Iirc the update is $250 to 300 from Toyota and I personally think it not worth it. We went through this with our '04 Sienna limited, but we were able to get "test copy of updated disc" the prius uses update from USB stick and code to unlock it, from I read. So we use the Garmin instead... no problem.

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Maps are always a year out of date and are said to be available in November of each year. The price of the Toyota map updates is absurd. The functionality is marginal and inferior to a $140 stand alone TomTom from probably 5 years ago. The stand alone's updates are about $100 and come out 4 times a year. If I bought a stand alone today the map updates would be free for life.

My car goes in for service tomorrow with an issue where the GPS knows the route but gives no voice guidance prior to the turn, just recalculates after I pass the turn. These aren't new roads, BTW, been there for at least ten years...maybe lots more.

Why the cost and functionality isn't mentioned in reviews/road-tests is beyond me.

4. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a Garmin 2797LMT, I just didn't have it that am when I went out. I figured I would use the gps in the car....I paid for it and had no reason to think it would be out of date. I agree the Toyota gps sucks. I have an appt to go in and have it "checked" tomorrow, although this is not a mechanical issue, it is an out of date software which I expect should be the most current when I buy the vehicle. If they don't update it, well, not the way to keep the customer happy and returning; 2nd Prius and could be the last.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have to say that my 2012 v3 GPS does get used several times a week, it has voice destination entry that works most of the time, is great getting to preset locations with an easy hands free command (FAVORITE HOME or FAVORITE YOUNAMEIT) and was essentially no extra cost because I wanted the other features of a v3.

So while it's not as good as the v5 GPS from Denso or even a standalone system, it is always there and ready to go. Just finding my way out of some unfamiliar places by using FAVORITE HOME is worth it as it does work and gets me back to the freeway in the right direction. Could it be better, yes, but I think Toyota wanted something they could include in the lower trims for lower dollars.

6. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Back from the dealer, Toyota Care, is more like Toyota DOESN'T CARE. The dealer called them and they refused an update. However, the dealer was going to do as loyal customer. Two hours into it it was still not done, they need more time. I couldn't hang out there indefinitely so we left it for the next tire rotation. Stay tuned.....