1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grabbing Brakes and Rocking after stop.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by LINKSTER, Aug 15, 2009.

1. LINKSTER

LINKSTER LINKSTER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Re: Grabbing Brakes after parking.

"When you say "parked on an incline for some time" how long do you mean? Hours, days, weeks?"

The longest parking period is about four hours. The shortest was ten minutes. It's been happening every week since I bought the car in the last week of June. It happens now, either level or on an incline and when it happens, it's not gentle, it's an immediate seizing that would bring the car to a stop if I didn't take my foot off of the pedal. After it happens, if I drive three or four feet forward it solves the problem. I understand brakes from 17,000 hours of flying fighters to DC-10's and I don't believe we are dealing with a "break-in" period. It's a system malfunction (or poor design?) and I don't believe it's acceptable after 2,000 miles. Thank you, everyone, for all of your comments.

Linkster

2. LINKSTER

LINKSTER LINKSTER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you apply the Parking brake as well when parked at all???[/QUOTE]

Hi

Since my last post, I took the suggestions of many of you and started using the parking brake. Gently if you will..... but it continues to happen on level ground or inclines. Once it starts, if I move the car forward a couple of feet everything returns to normal. So something is hanging up in the system. Remember, I am describing "seizing brakes" and not "dragging brakes". Clearly, the system isn't right. I am certain when I take it to the dealer, they will reply the same manner I experienced in my flying career, "Can't duplicate problem".

What we need is for owners who are experiencing this phenomena to start reporting it to the dealers in an effort to get it into Toyota's system.

Linkster