1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Great time to buy ... when oil prices are low

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bhunter, Mar 4, 2015.

1. bhunter

bhunter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I did not already have a Prius, I would be looking to buy now. When oil prices are low. SUVs are back in style now, but you know it is only a matter of time before gas prices go back up. I wonder if used Prius prices have declined in the last 6 months as gas prices have declined. Any anecdotal evidence?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think they've made the suburbans and tahoes even bigger.

3. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's why I started checking CL again. I had been looking for a Prius for over a year. When fuel prices tanked, I checked and found a PiP available. I made an offer, the seller countered higher, and I stuck with my original offer and he accepted.

BTW, gas prices have shot up about $0.75/gallon in the last month here. They are already getting close to $3 again, and the average I've paid over the last 5 years is $3.47.

I'm now looking for an EV to replace my Acura TSX, but I'll hold off until the gen II Leaf comes out. That should absolutely tank the gen I prices.

4. qdllc

qdllc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I buy what I need/want. Gas prices are just a side issue.

Yeah, the high MPG of the Prius was a factor, but other cars do almost as well...for a lower OTD price. Had I found something else I liked as much as/more than the Prius, I might have chosen it instead.

I do know that not being able to get a new pickup with equal or better MPG than the 1998 model I have is a big reason why I opted to keep the pickup and NOT trade it for a new vehicle. Otherwise I would have traded/sold it to put towards a new pickup.