1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GREEN DIAMOND TIRES - Recycled Tires for our Planet and for your Prius

Discussion in 'Sponsored Commercial Sales' started by GDT-NA, Apr 13, 2009.

1. GDT-NA

GDT-NA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    For every Green Diamond Tire (GDT) that we build, there is one less tire clogging a landfill, and 3 to 5 gallons of petroleum saved per tire. All GDTs are manufactured in the USA.

The GDT is an Icelandic invention that offers extensively examined and QA'd premium quality tire casings a 2nd life as a GDT. All qualified 'donor' casings are carefully remolded using the same technology and process that the major tire manufacturers use to build a new tire... that is heat-cured segmented mold.

An added uniqueness is the introduction of silicium carborundum (silicon carbide... think: industrial diamond) granules that give the GDT the snow/ice/wet pavement traction of a studded snow tire with out the detrimental noise of roadway damage.

GDTs have a 45,000 mile tread life expectancy, 100% manufacterers warranty, and are scientifically proven to actually out-perform the very tire from which they are build.

Oh... and they cost a lot less. Learn more about the GDT at the Green Diamond Tire website.

Yes, as owner of Green Diamond Tire - North America, I do have a financial interest... however, my company car is also a Prius and we build the GDT for folks the 'get it' regarding sustainable resources, energy conservation, and stewardship of our planet. I do believe that describes just about everyone that subscribes to this fine PriusChat forum.

Kind regards.

Rich Gostenik

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Why? I don't any indication that these are the same thing.

1 person likes this.
  3. GDT-NA

GDT-NA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Well then, for you... do not think that :).

Might you be thinking of silica rather than silicon? The granules that are used to make the GDT a GDT are man-made in Germany of silicon carbide... and then coated with a proprietary substance that fuses and chemically bonds to the tread compound during the tread cure process. On the Mohs hardness scale where the diamond is the theoretical perfect "10" we specify carbide that ranges from 9.4 to 9.6. ~rich

4. GDT-NA

GDT-NA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I stand corrected... over the past few years when I have used 'industrial diamond' and 'silicon carbide' enterchangibly, some folks have challenged that assertion and I never took the time to understand the 'why'.

With this latest question, I decided to end my confusion and went to a pre-eminent source... The Industrial Diamond Association of America and received the following response from that association's executive director, Terry Kane. The response:

Richard,

Industrial diamond and silicon carbide are not same materials. Silicon Carbide is actually referred to as a Diamond simulant, which means it is used as a material that appears to look like diamond.

Industrial diamond is real diamond and has all the properties of diamond that permit it to be used in industry as an abrasive, windows for lasers, heat sinks and medical materials like knives and joints. Silicon carbide is not nearly as hard nor does it possess all the properties of diamond.
    Diamond is the hardest natural material
    The least compressible and stiffest substance It is an exceptional thermal conductor - 4 times better than copper Diamond has an extremely low thermal expansion Is chemically inert with respect to most acids and alkalis Is transparent from the far infrared through the deep ultraviolet Diamond is one of only a few materials with a negative electron affinity Diamonds do not conduct electricity well, although some are semiconductors.
    Diamond has a high specific gravity and is amazingly dense The brilliance and fire of a diamond are due to its high dispersion and high refractive index Diamond has the highest reflectance and index of refraction of any transparent substance Diamond gemstones are commonly clear or pale blue, but colored diamonds, called 'fancies', have been found in all the colors of the rainbow

Regards,

Terry

Terry M. Kane, Executive Director
    Industrial Diamond Association of America Editor/Publisher Finer Points Magazine P.O. Box 29460 Columbus, Ohio 43229 USA
    Tel: 614-797-2265
    Fax: 614-797-2264
    Email: [email protected]
    In my mind, this matter is settled and i do apologize for the confusion i may have created.

That stated, our Green Diamond Tires are still a stellar product and the silicon carbide additive to the tread compound makes it an exceptional traction tire for your Prius in all climate conditions.

Kind regards.

~rich gostenik

5. DetroitFlyer

DetroitFlyer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Good for you. I have worked in the new tire industry for many years. I have always been intrigued by the retread process and never understood why it has not caught on for passenger tires. I would be interested in your story. How did you get into the industry and how did you ever got into passenger tire retreading? Is the business viable? Who mixes your tread stock, etc.?

I will certainly check out your website and keep an eye out for your company in the future.

Good luck!

6. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    photos would be helpful to see?

for the aesthetically curious!

7. malibucarl

malibucarl Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Many Moons ago in the 1950s retreaded tires were sold. As I remember they worked quite well on the cars of the day.
    Carl