1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Green Drive Expo SF Bay Area - 9/17/11

Discussion in 'Local Clubs, Events, and Road Trips' started by cwerdna, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Zanrok

Zanrok Casual Prius Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There has to be a bar/restaurant nearby.....

:)

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The people that signed up as VIP are going to dinner after. Maybe the place is big enough for everyone to go? It's right next door to the event.

3. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I should be there :)

4. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Toyota's Prius Plug-in Hybrid gets official unveiling, available March 2012 -- Engadget

5. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can we get a roll call going?
    1. scottism (exhibitor)
    2. kiettyyyy (exhibitor)
    3. efusco
    4. cwerdna
    5. cproaudio
    6. TonyPSchaefer (What Drives Us panelist and PC moderator)
    7. Linda (event host and YahooPriusGroup)
    8. F8L
    9. EricBecky (event host)
    10.Russell Frost (What Drives Us host and Prius Owners Group)
    11.Tideland Prius
    12.Paradox
    13.Talonts
    14.HTMLSpinnr
    15.Zanrok
    16.Danny (Priuschat founder)
    17.aforkosh
    18. The Critic

6. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i hope to be there, not that i'm a big forum participant though. might not make it - busy soccer day and stuff tomorrow.

i will drive my LEAF there, though :)

does anyone know what counts as proof that you are signed up to order a plug-in prius? they claim priority test drives if you have proof.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Updated list now:
    Can we get a roll call going?
    1. scottism (exhibitor)
    2. kiettyyyy (exhibitor)
    3. efusco
    4. cwerdna
    5. cproaudio
    6. TonyPSchaefer (What Drives Us panelist and PC moderator)
    7. Linda (event host and YahooPriusGroup)
    8. F8L
    9. EricBecky (event host)
    10.Russell Frost (What Drives Us host and Prius Owners Group)
    11.Tideland Prius
    12.Paradox
    13.Talonts
    14.HTMLSpinnr
    15.Zanrok
    16.Danny (Priuschat founder)
    17.aforkosh
    18.The Critic
    19.pfile
    20.lensovet
    21.RobH

No word from the maybes that got dropped off in one of the copies.

Linda: sorry I've been unsuccesful so far in changing my mom's mind about bringing her NAH. :rolleyes: We'll see if I can succeed in the morning.

She's come up with an even more ridiculous excuse. Her car could use a nice long highway drive (it is from where they live to Richmond) as the NAH has a known issue (there's a TSB on it) where the under certain conditions, the ICE could get carboned up due to it shutting (and cooling) down as part of normal hybrid operation. She drives mostly in the city and short drives. Some folks on greenhybrid.com have hit this problem.

For those who can't physically recognize the Prius Experts who will be present, I hope they don't mind that I point to this video.

BTW, I will be bringing the tire I mentioned at http://priuschat.com/forums/private-sales/97028-one-goodyear-integrity-tire-in-sf-bay-area.html. I will give it away free to any taker.

8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'll be there.

9. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    email confirming that you've interested in pre-order? maybe?

Instead of saying "I'll be there" and let cwerdna update the list, why don't you copy the list and add your own name to the list. We're not list keepers. Anyone can add themselves on the list if they want to attend. It's not that hard.

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    If anyone needs to reach/find me, one can PM me. I can check my PMs and reply to them (although not very well) on my iPhone 4, when I'm there. I'm an Asian guy w/glasses and will be hearing a cap, jeans and a "prius goes plural" t-shirt.

Ok, RobH has been added, but yes, others can and should copy the list and add your name.

11. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    so where are we suppose to meet?

12. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    man, shortest test drive EVER. lol.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've had shorter ones at Toyota roadshows up in WA state. The longest this time (of the Toyota test drives) was if you took the HyCam. The Leaf drive in WA state wasn't real long either.

This was a great event for me as it was almost a Prius Connection Detroit reunion. I also got to meet the Luscious Garage folks, Jack Chen of Enginer, pEEF and some other Priuschatters. I and a few others tried out pEEf's car w/his crazy mods. I'd also never seen an Insight I or 1st gen HCH battery pack before. It looked surprisingly small to me.

Unfortunately, due to me not being able to arrive until past 1 pm, I didn't get a chance to talk to some vendors as long as I wanted to and didn't have a chance to poke and look around inside the new Toyotas much. I didn't even have a chance to try out Entune or look at the displays.

The bulk of my time was taken up by lining up 4x in the Toyota line to test drive the PHV Prius 2x, the Prius v and the '12 HyCam. I'm so glad Toyota had the '12 HyCam and wasn't using the PHV demonstrators. It was also the first time I've driven a car equipped w/a HUD.

BTW, the Toyota test drive staff are the same folks working for a 3rd party company and are the same folks that I've seen several times before up in WA (Seattle auto show, Redmond Whole Foods and a Prius v showing in Lynnwood, WA). They go touring around the western region of the US. They mentioned going to Portland soon (next?).

The amount of hybrid and Prius knowledge of each person amongst those staffers varies... For example, one of them incorrectly quoted the PHV Prius as having an 11.9 gallon tank (I recall it's smaller and just re-confirmed that). Another asked me about the best ways to drive for efficiency. I briefly told him about w/pulse and glide and SHM on my 2nd gen.

I'd never seen the trunk of a Civic GX before until today. Wow, the CNG tank REALLY cuts down in the trunk space. The Civic GX owner claimed that all the CNG pumps are now 4000 psi and it only takes a minute to fill.

The trunk of the '12 HyCam is impressively large. Good job Toyota!

In talking to some random attendees in the line, as usual, the knowledge level varied. One guy IIRC had a EV1 for a week on loan, ages ago. Another guy had a regular Camry but seemed interested in the Prius and seemed like he might be EE by what he talked about. One guy (surprisingly) had the misconception that you could plug in unmodified non-PHV hybrids to charge their HV batteries. I had to explain to him no and that it wouldn't help much either due its limited range in EV only.

14. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, I agree the drives were a bit short, but I can understand why. Recharging them becomes a logistical nightmare at a point. At least Toyota had ALOT of cars out there making the line move fast. Did you see the line for Volt and Leaf (which were quite short in comparison to the Toyota line) and how many cars they had for 'their' potential customers? Having 2 Volts for all those people and one Leaf available for ride and drives and Toyota has nearly 10 or more shows something about a company in my opinion.

15. lensovet

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey I remember you telling me this in person. I was the guy complaining about the lack of sunroof with a camera mount stickin out of my pocket. Lol.

16. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Lol yeah I remember you as well. It was so great to finally get to meet so many people from the website while out there!

17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just wanted to re-iterate that this was a GREAT event. I'm glad I went and I only could arrive late due to airport shuttle duties. It was made even better by the fact that Toyota let us touch and test drive these upcoming vehicles, some of which had just recently been announced.

It was very cool to be able to drive pEEf's project car (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-plug-in-hybrid-electric-vehicle-project.html). Too bad I hadn't done my homework and studied up ahead of time. pEEf was offering a us bunch geeks standing around his car the opportunity to drive it. Efusco was very impressed. I grabbed Danny to go out for a spin. It was kinda cool that Jack Chen of Enginer took it for a whirl too. :)

I think this year's GDE will be a tough act to follow next year unless other new and exciting or improved models are unveiled around that time...

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A link to my photos of the Expo--not as numerous as I usually take, but still some nice stuff.
    [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/efusco/sets/72157627694110808/"]Green Drive Expo-Bay Area 2011 - a set on Flickr[/ame]

3 people like this.
  19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know what was more exciting, the new cars or seeing all my PC friends again and meeting new ones. :)

Cproaudio's interior lights are BRIGHT!!!

20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A