1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Green Energy Blues?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by wjtracy, Aug 21, 2012.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Discussion of possible decline in political support for green energy. Wind losing 30% subsidy unless somebody does something fast. Cheap nat gas prices hurting a lot, unless you are one who considers nat gas green. Let's face it, green energy facing uphill battle due to resurgence in fossil fuel availability from non-Mideast sources, nuke fallout from the Japan tsunami disaster and other major factors that have transpired against Congress's decree 5-yrs ago that cellulosic biofuels and EV's were the best things since sliced bread.

Green energy appears to be on life support, depending upon Democrat victory in November. If anyone follows Nate Silver in the NYTimes (I just started) he shows mathematically that if the Obama/Romney election is close then possibility both house and senate goes to repubs. That would be a whole new ballgame if it happens.

I am not stating my personal politics, but suffice it to say if the repubs lose, it will not be because of their energy policies. Fortunately for green energy, repub party has other serious issues they are struggling with.

Why green energy startups are now 'toxic' - Yahoo! Finance

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The sky is falling again?

3. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    CNN Money did an article in the Economy section titled "Why Green Energy startups are now Toxic" this article mentions the boon in natural gas and a decrease in natural gas prices. Proposed buget cuts by the gov't threatens support for green energy, EV cars, etc. Investors are aware of this and also are reluctant to invest in green energy. There hasn't been any startups able to prove they can be profitable on their own.

A valid point is made: why invest in alternative energy, when natural gas is so cheap?
    The ethanol industry is feeling pressure from the drought diminished size of the corn crop as well as sky high corn prices. The wind industry, also mentioned , is on life support with the 30% tax credit dur to expire at years' end.

It will be interesting to watch how this all pans out.

DBCassidy

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not all investment has to be financial or an immediate return. America doesn't "get it" yet. Sometimes investments are for later and you can't see financial benefit now or ever. With fuel, the benefit isn't now but it is there. A limited resource always needs a backup plan. The longer we wait to implement a backup plan, the more expensive the replacement implementation is.

You can buy a burger for $1USD at a fast food place stuff it in your pocket and ski to the top of Beaver Creek and eat it. Or if you wait until you are on the slope with no other option for food, you pay $20+USD for the same exact thing.

Build alternatives now for $, or wait until needed and then spend $$$$$$$.

Why teach music and art in schools since those cost money and you get nothing financially back...

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey that $1 burger at McD's is my fav snack on road trips.
    OK I get your point and I am a big fan of R&D myself I would not have had a day job without it.
    But there is a difference between free R&D that comes up with long term benefits, and Congress picking winners and losers and dumping $$$ subsidy sums on their favs. I just hope something good comes out of it. We need to do adequate R&D to fill pipeline and we also need to control the budget deficit. The problem with energy policy we have none and it's sort of good thing since the world situation changes so fast it now looks like we don't need some of the green projects everyone agreed to in 2007 Energy Security Act.

I recall now I opposed that 2007 bill - wrote an email to my senator - he said I was mistaken because switchgrass was going to save Virginia's economy. Gimme a break! ...but that letter from my Senator was the first I ever heard about switchgrass - had to Google "switchgrass" to see what he was talking about. At least I learned something from it.