1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grinding Noise from Dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by smarano, Jan 20, 2013.

1. smarano

smarano Junior Member

Starting this past winter, whenever the overnight temperature drops below 45 degrees, a loud grinding/whirring noise emanates from inside the middle of the dashboard of my 2006 Prius. The noise occurs in regular one second or so intervals, and appears to originate inside or behind the touchscreen and radio/CD player. The noise continues for about 15-20 seconds, and then goes away. The problem won't reoccur until the car cools overnight - i.e. the grinding noise won't reappear if I start the car up again when it's warm.

I recorded the sound this morning and have attached a sample WAV file here.
    I had to upload it as a zip file because the upload facility on PriusChat apparently doesn't allow one to directly upload a wav file.

The noise sounded suspiciously like a faulty CD transport mechanism: that's what I concluded and that's what my Toyota dealer's service department concluded as well, though it didn't appear to affect the functionality of the unit. Last week the service department replaced the CD unit under my extended (7 year) warranty. Surprisingly, the sound is still there, if anything somewhat louder and more persistent. And the problem increases in intensity with a drop in temperature. Now, if the temperature drops below freezing, the grinding noise is near constant for up to 15 seconds or so, then reverts to the periodic grinding intervals for another 15-20 seconds before stopping entirely. What's particularly insidious about this problem is that it's so short-lived, making it very difficult and inconvenient for the service department (and myself) to diagnose. So I thought I'd submit this issue to the forum, to see if anyone else has encountered it.

Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Steve in Jersey

Attached Files:

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think I am hearing the clicking of the brake actuator pressure pump in the background, at the same time as that your sound. It should not be clicking for such an extended time, if that is indeed what it is. Maybe you can clarify that.

It sounds to me like a motor that has bad bearings. Heater system fan? Perhaps one of the damper motors? Does it do it if the climate control is completely turned off?

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can't say I have ever heard that one before. Please, let us know if you determine what is the cause of the sound. Question to OP, are you certain that the pump that transfers coolant from the thermos to the ICE is operating properly? I did not hear that pump run when you made the Prius "Ready".

Ron

4. smarano

smarano Junior Member

Good suggestions, Ron. I'll check out the heating system and suggest that (and brake actuator) to my service department.

5. BlazingStar

BlazingStar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I cannot hear the noise due to computer sound problems.

The location and description sounds like a problem I was having, i.e. an intermittent whirring noise coming from the middle of the dash (sounded like a fan motor spinning). Place your hand on the MFD display and put your ear against it. If you feel vibration, and you also hear the noise coming from the display, this may be your problem. Toyota may tell you there are no moving parts that would cause such a noise, like they told me at the time, but in fact this was the cause of my problem. Once the display was replaced 2-3 years ago, the noise abated.

6. smarano

smarano Junior Member

Thanks. I'll try the approach you suggest, but frankly it doesn't sound like a fan. It sounds more like a gear or solenoid. If you ever get the chance to listen to my WAV file, or if there's another way I can provide you with an audio sample, let me know. I'd value your opinion if the noise is the same. But I'll try what you suggest. Thanks.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Steve,

Is it possible that this sound is related to the HVAC system? Is the cabin heater running when these noises occur?

If yes, what happens if you leave the heater and the cabin fan off - do the noises still appear?

8. smarano

smarano Junior Member

To BlazingStar -

After further investigation, I'm beginning to think that your suggestion is correct. We've been going through a frigidly cold spell here in New Jersey and that intermittent sound has become more of a continuous whirring noise which continues for about one minute before reverting to the intermittent noise. And it seems as if the noise is coming from directly behind the touch screen.
    If I were to send you another sound sample, but in the form of an MP3, would this help with your computer sound problem? I would really love to get your direct feedback on whether this sound is the same as what you experienced.

9. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know; hassle isn't it? It took them months to diagnose my problem due to the very intermittent nature of the problem.

Send what you have and I'll see if I can give it a listen.

10. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    smarano,

My iMac is having sound issues. The red light is on from the headphone jack when nothing it plugged in so no noise will emit from my internal speakers. Seems it's not an uncommon problem, based on internet research, but none of the fix suggestions have worked.

The good news is that I read that I should be able to hear sound from headphones. I located a set and was able to give your audio file a listen. That is the same exact noise I was hearing from my display, i.e. whirring in short intervals. It would do it at start up of the car and then go away after about 1-2 minutes.

I think you have your culprit. I can't remember for sure, as it was a warranty item at the time, but I think it was a couple hundred to replace the display.

Let me know how this works out for you. If they tell you, as my service department told me, that there are no moving parts that would cause such a noise, let me know and I can serve as witness. :)

11. smarano

smarano Junior Member

Thank you very much. I believe/hope you have diagnosed my problem for me. I am under extended warranty and the service department claims they want to help me (asked me to call them on Saturday to arrange to leave car with them until they find problem). I will definitely alert them to this (actually copy your message and bring it with me). Thanks very much and I will let you know what happens.

12. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're welcome. If you need me to inquire with my service dept. about anything, just let me know. Good luck.

13. smarano

smarano Junior Member

Thanks. Just scheduled it for Tuesday (getting loaner car). I mentioned your experience and your offer for them to get in touch with your service department if they find it would be helpful. Hopefully not necessary.

14. emanboulay

emanboulay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi smarano,

Don't forget to share the results of your experience with us! I have the exact same problem that started this winter. Just came back from the Toyota dealer. They thought that it could be a damper motor. This can be activated by the computer even if the heater system is off.

Thanks

15. smarano

smarano Junior Member

I will certainly share the results. Funny, looks like we have two possible problem sources here. BlazingStar's problem apparently was due to a cooling fan behind the touchscreen. I will suggest both of these to Toyota service, but I'm sure they'll want to do their own investigation. Hey, I've got loaner car so they can take their time to find the source.

16. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What was the outcome of this?

17. smarano

smarano Junior Member

Funny you should ask. I was going to post a message here today
    to let you know that there is still no meaningful outcome to speak of. It's been frustrating.
    My north Jersey Toyota dealer, though cooperative, has been
    wanting in execution. Basically the car is in their shop for an indefinite
    period until they can confirm the sound for themselves.
    Despite painstaking efforts on my part to document
    the problem for them, how they would have to leave the car overnight
    and then start it when ambient temperature is less than 40 degrees,
    they claim they have yet to duplicate the sound. That's because the service techs didn't
    follow my instructions to sit in the car and wait about 5 minutes when the
    temperature goes REALLY low (below 30 degrees).
    At this temperature, it takes 5 minutes for the sound to materialize.
    Thankfully I made an MP3 recording of the sound, burned it
    onto a CD, and stuck it in the Prius's CD Player. So they've at least been
    forced to recognize that the sound actually does occur and is not normal. The service manager
    says he'll personally try my recommended 'diagnostic procedure' tomorrow.
    I extended your offer to have him get in touch with your Toyota service department,
    but - no surprise - he insists on confirming the problem for himself rather than talk to anyone.
    Also, I followed your advice and put my ear up against the touch screen when the grinding noise
    was being emitted. It seemed like the noise was coming from DIRECTLY behind the screen - within
    inches. So I'm near 100% certain that your diagnosis is accurate.
    What is so frustrating is that -for a company so committed to advance technology - why
    on Earth don't they have or consult with a database that has already documented this problem?

So right now I have a loaner car from them, and I don't intend to relinquish it until they have resolved
    this to my satisfaction.

18. smarano

smarano Junior Member

Funny you should ask. I was going to post a message here today
    to let you know that there is still no meaningful outcome to speak of. It's been frustrating.
    My north Jersey Toyota dealer, though cooperative, has been
    wanting in execution. Basically the car is in their shop for an indefinite
    period until they can confirm the sound for themselves.
    Despite painstaking efforts on my part to document
    the problem for them, how they would have to leave the car overnight
    and then start it when ambient temperature is less than 40 degrees,
    they claim they have yet to duplicate the sound. That's because the service techs didn't
    follow my instructions to sit in the car and wait about 5 minutes when the
    temperature goes REALLY low (below 30 degrees).
    At this temperature, it takes 5 minutes for the sound to materialize.
    Thankfully I made an MP3 recording of the sound, burned it
    onto a CD, and stuck it in the Prius's CD Player. So they've at least been
    forced to recognize that this sound is not normal. The service manager
    says he'll personally try my recommended 'diagnostic procedure' tomorrow.
    I extended your offer to have him get in touch with your Toyota service department,
    but - no surprise - he insists on confirming the problem for himself rather than talk to anyone.
    Also, I followed your advice and put my ear up against the touch screen when the grinding noise
    was being emitted. It seemed like the noise was coming from DIRECTLY behind the screen - within
    inches. So I'm near 100% certain that your diagnosis is accurate.
    What is so frustrating is that -for a company so committed to advance technology - why
    on Earth don't they have or consult with a database that has already documented this problem?

So right now I have a loaner car from them, and I don't intend to relinquish it until they have resolved
    this to my satisfaction.

19. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had the same frustrating experience.

I thought I was going to save you the same trouble. They'll probably be paying as much on your rental as they would by simply replacing the display.

20. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just found info stating the MFD display is $4,500. If true, this may be the reason for their reluctance to swap it out. I wish I had other info to help. I don't. :(. I hope it works out for you.