1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Grinding Noise from Dash

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by smarano, Jan 20, 2013.

1. smarano

smarano Junior Member

It's not so much that they are reluctant to swap it out as they don't want to take any action until they hear it for themselves. Also, I recall reading something here that the touchscreen could be replaced for around $200. Is it possible that only that has to be replaced? Or just the fan?

A thought: you mentioned how you'd be willing to make an inquiry of your service department. If that's not too much trouble, would it be possible for you to get me the name of someone in your service dept who's familiar with the problem whom I could refer them to, or to whom I might be able to speak myself? I get the feeling that this is going to drag on for days and days if I don't take preemptive action. And there's a chance someone in your service dept might know if it's possible to replace just the defective part and not the entire display. That might be a great motivator for my dealer.

2. BlazingStar

BlazingStar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll call them tomorrow and get a contact name for you. I'll get as much info as I can about what was replaced and how much it was. I don't recall it being more than a few hundred. I'll be back.

3. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Steve,

I called my dealership and my service records are old enough that he said that the detailed service log doesn't go back that far for them. Luckily, he said I can log on and create an account on Toyota's site and pull up my records with detail. I was surprised that my experience lasted almost a year before they could adequately diagnose it. They replaced by CD player under warranty, and then the expensive brake job replacing the actuator, etc.

Here's the service note when they finally discovered the problem.:

EXTERIOR TRIM ~|~CUSTOMER STATES OF A NOISE IN DASH LIKE A WHINE NOISE BUT SHORT BURSTS LIKE A MOTOR WHEN COLD ~|~BLED THE BRAKES SEVERAL TIMES PER TECH LINE. LET CAR SIT OVERNIGHT, VEHICLE STILL MADE NOISE. HAD CHRIS (FTS) OUT AND WAS NOT ABLE TO DUPLICATE NOISE. BLED THE ENTIRE BRAKE SYSTEM AGAIN REINITIALIZE STROKE SYMULATOR.REBLED AGAIN AFTER THAT AND LET SIT TIL ~|~STARTED PULLING DASH APART PIECE BY PIECE AND DISCONNECTING COMPONENTS ABS ACT,CLUSTER,RADIO,HEATER/A/C SERVOS,HEADS UP DISPLAY,COOLANT PUMP ETC. NOISE WENT AWAY AFTER HEADS UP DISPLAY WAS DISCONNECTED. WE CALLED FUJITSU AND ORDERED ANOTHER DISPLAY ASSY.

I have no idea of cost as it simply states it was a warranty item. I hope this helps since the work was done so long ago they don't even have record of it. It's the best I can do. Good luck.

4. smarano

smarano Junior Member

Thanks very much for this information. I actually read it over the phone to my service dealer today. And good news, at least to some degree. They DID hear the noise for themselves, and unlike your experience they suspected the dash. They say they have disassembled it without disconnecting any electrical connections. Their plan is to wait for the sound again, then disconnect the screen assembly, and see if the sound stops.

5. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good to hear. You're almost there. If it turns out to be something besides the display, please let me know.

6. emanboulay

emanboulay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hope your rental is a nice one! If someone has a schematic for this particular section of the car we could have a better idea of the type of hamster working in there.

Take care

7. smarano

smarano Junior Member

First off, BlazingStar, I don't know what your real name is, but my heartfelt thanks go out to you for all your advice and help. My service rep called today to say that they confirmed the source of the noise was indeed a defective touch screen assembly. Just as in your case, when they disconnected the unit, the noise stopped. So they're going to replace it for free under my extended warranty, and also allow me to keep the loaner car until they repair it.
    The rep seemed genuinely surprised that Toyota 'HQ' didn't give his dealership a hard time in reimbursing them for the replacement and loaner/rental car costs. Interestingly, when I asked why they didn't have access to any troubleshooting tools (database) on this, he stated that in all the years they've sold the Prius, this is the first time they've encountered this problem. I suspect, however, that the speed with which his HQ rep approved reimbursement for this suggests this that Toyota was well aware of this issue. But I'm certainly not complaining. And based on this and other service experiences, I can certainly recommend East Coast Toyota to anyone who might be looking to purchase a Toyota in northern Jersey.

Last, just wanted to say that it's the support of members like BlazingStar that illustrate just how powerful Web communities in general - and PriusChat in particular - can be.

Steve in Jersey

8. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    What a story! Thank you both smarano and BlazingStar. I would rate this thread 5 stars but the new version of PriusChat web site seems to have removed the rating feature.

9. BlazingStar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Nice to meet you, Steve - I'm Stephanie. I'm very grateful I was able to help you and that your dealership acted above board and supported you through this issue. I'm also grateful your issue was resolved. Be well.

10. emanboulay

emanboulay Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for the report. I imagine there's a fan to cool the screen. I'm not under warranty so I guess I will wait until this thing becomes a real issue before removing the screen to open it and see if there's something I can do.

Take care

11. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No fan. To see what the innards look like, see this:
    Prius MFD

12. smarano

smarano Junior Member

Quick anecdote: stopped by service shop today to take a few things out of my still-in-the-shop Prius, and spoke with
    head service manager who thanked me for essentially diagnosing the problem for them. Told him not to thank me, rather thank a member of PriusChat. He remarked that it was interesting a chat forum had more helpful resources than their own Toyota troubleshooting database.'

13. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Very interesting string. Even more interesting what the Toyota head service manager said. Glad to hear you got it figured out Steve. Also a "high five" to Stephanie AKA BlazingStar! I will try to remember this one.

Interesting side note: The salesman who sold us our used Prius told me the following when I asked him to teach me about the Prius. He said "I really don't know a whole lot about these cars, our customer's know more about them then we do". He was a used car guy.

Ron

14. smarano

smarano Junior Member

Just wanted you to know that I picked up my Prius today. The cost of the repair - if this had not been under extended warranty - would have been slightly under $1500! The part was $1312, so in comparison the labor component was cheap. The service manager said they replaced 'the entire touch screen and computer assembly' (for those who might be interested, the part number was labelled as NPN/1-50257 on the invoice, and the description was 'Control'). The manager seemed particularly pleased that Toyota gave them no real flack in authorizing the replacement. Again makes me wonder if Toyota HQ was aware of this problem despite the fact - as the manager stated - that their troubleshooting guides had no information on this problem.

So while it was a relief to know I didn't have to pay for the repair, it was sobering to learn just how expensive it is to repair cars today with sophisticated computer-based components.

dorunron likes this.