1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gurgling sound under back seat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tauneutrino, Mar 15, 2009.

1. tauneutrino

tauneutrino New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Starting about two months ago, a gurgling sound has been coming from under the back passenger seat. It sounds like liquid sloshing around and/or air bubbles bubbling up. At first I thought there might be rain water that had collected in the rear bumper but on inspection the bumper cannot hold water. The next thought is that it is coming from the gas tank but then why would it have started only a couple of months ago. I have had the Prius since April 2006. The sound can be elicited by starting from a stopped position or when stopping. Sometimes it comes when turning and accelerating. Although it happens often, it is something that I cannot duplicate every time I try. I have not seen any correlation to a full, half full, or near empty gas tank. There is correlation to acceleration (either speeding up or slowing down). I've looked under the car in that area but can't see anything obvious. Has anyone experienced this as well? Thanks.

topquark likes this.
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You live in an area with lots of rain - is it possible that rainwater is trapped in one of the doors? Each door has a couple of vent holes at the bottom; open each door and check to see if the holes are clear of debris.

Another area that can trap water is the metal cowl tray mounted at the rear of the engine compartment. It has two drains, which if plugged due to an accumulation of leaves and dirt, can allow water to pool and cause sloshing noise at the front of the car.

3. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    If there is a leak in the rear area, the donut spare tire well can also hold water

4. Crooked River

Crooked River New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Same problem here. Sounds like a Pop-Up Video on VH1:confused:. Definitely coming from rear seat battery vent. The first time I heard it was @ 106,000.

5. csohns

csohns New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have an 05 @ <40k miles, I hard it "gurgle" for the first time yesterday when I left work. It didn't do it the next time I started the car. This morning I heard rattling metal (totally different sound) from under the car, but didn't see anything. I wonder if it's related.

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Has anybody verified that the rear doors haven't filled with water due to the drain plugs being ... plugged? Or that the rear hatch seal isn't leaking and filling the spare donut well?

Up here it's common for cars parked outside to have the drain holes freeze up in sudden temp drops. Once the bottoms of the doors rust away, the water naturally drains out again

7. tauneutrino

tauneutrino New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Here is the solution. Behind the rear passenger wheel there is a chamber with a small plug on the bottom. This chamber had filled with ~1 gallon of water. Removing the plug of course allowed the water to drain. As was mentioned earlier in this thread the underside of the wheel well for the spare also has two parter plugs. I removed these first and found there was also a small amount of water there too. I would assume that the presence of plugs indicates that the designers knew that water could seep into these areas. The questions now are 1) what is/are sources or entry points of the water and 2) are there weep holes that are supposed to keep these areas dry? The plugs must be there as a 'last resort' to purge the trapped water. I'll continue to investigate.

2 people like this.
  8. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Please take and post pictures. I can't quite visualize what and where you're talking about.

9. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had the same problem, turned out it was my mother in law.:rofl:

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just sold my Prius so can't double check. However, I used to check my spare tire monthly and the well always remained dry.

I'm going to guess that having a heated attached garage went a long way to keeping my car bone dry. Parked outside, it wouldn't take much of a leak in the hatch seal to add up.

11. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Uh oh, you might pay dearly for that remark. I hope your wifey never frequents this forum

12. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You did what? That's terrible. You've been a great member here; I'll be sad to see you go. ;)

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh, calm down. It had 192,000 km on it, and I was looking for something fresh and new again. I think there will be some real bargains on 09's once the 10's hit the showrooms

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Hmm just had a look at a 2008 Prius base model with only 12,000 km on it. Owner traded up to a HiHy. I'm surprised at how steeply the used Prius values are declining up here

SKS I can take or leave. Don't need or want nav. Even the base Prius now has side curtain airbags and VSC. A backup camera is nice, Rostra makes specific models

Rostra Precision Controls, Inc. - Automotive/Consumer Products - RearSight Back Up Camera Systems

for both the FJ and Prius. Actually, Rostra offers either an integrated monitor into a rearview mirror, or a small LCD up against the headliner.

15. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You barely got it broken in! :eek:
    It's a Toyota, man! It must have another couple of 100ks worth of life left!

Oh, and the gurgling noise? I'd check for stray Prius chatters. In Detroit, several people were crawling under the back seat....

[​IMG]

This could be a party game. Name that Butt.

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Can't be Tony's butt, it's too big. Um .... Evan's?

17. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think that's Fire Engineer.

18. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You beat me to it but I thought he wore darker pants.

No, I was wrong, it's FireEngineer.

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dang. I was close, but *way* off

Um, Evan, didn't mean to insinuate you have a big butt

20. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are correct! :mod:

Thanks for playing, folks. :p

Hyo, you can look forward to your prize in May ;)