1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Halogen Headlights Keep Failing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by wdewey, Jan 17, 2013.

1. wdewey

wdewey New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Halogen Headlights keep failing on my 2007 Prius Hybrid. I'm starting a file on this because my headlights fail waaaaay too often. I first bought replacements from O'Rileys (don't know the brand) and one failed after only 3 months. . . they would not replace the bulb for free so I did buy one more bulb there. The next time I purchased two Philips bulbs at another parts store. The last ones I bought were from Napa Auto parts and I have to replace one of those. I am wishing I had kept better records because there have been more burned out low beam headlamps. . .never use the brights.

Also, the headlights dim and brighten occasionally while I'm driving for some reason. Is that normal? I owned Saturns before the Prius and my wife is still driving her. . . a 2002 Saturn. We've replaced her headlights once. I had similar experience with my 13-year-old Saturn. What gives here? I'm 63 and I have never owned a car that cost me this much money in headlights.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    **Mod note - moving this to the Gen II forum. This isn't Prius v related. **

If the lights are flickering, your DC-DC converter may be failing and sending too much voltage across the line. That, or there may be faulty wiring between the power source and the bulb.

Have a qualified mechanic measure the voltage over time (scope or just a good multimeter) to ensure it's not spiking or dipping.

3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    These are normal low-end halogen bulbs right? Not the super extra bright ones?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. I hope you are aware that you cannot touch the halogen bulb glass surface with bare fingers, as salt and oil contamination (from fingerprints) will weaken the quartz glass. Use a clean cotton handkerchief or paper towel when handling the bulb.

2. It is not normal for the headlight intensity to dim and brighten. The wiring may have an intermittent connection or a loose lamp socket. Perhaps that is the reason that you are experiencing short bulb life, and this should be investigated.

3. If you think that replacing halogen bulbs is expensive, then it is good that you did not buy a Prius with HID headlights.

4. As another data point, I have a 2007 that has logged ~50K+ miles, equipped with halogen headlights, and the original bulbs are still working fine.

5. VernG

VernG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I am seeing the same issue with my 2007 Prius. I have been using just the standard halogen replacement bulbs and have tried different makes. Just had one burn out again yesterday. My S10 pickup is 12 years old and only have replaced one bulb on it just a few months back.
    I think I have replaced my Prius bulbs about 4-5 times now on both sides.
    I know that they are being installed clean as I use surgical gloves to do it and am very careful with them.
    I don't see any dimming or brightening of the headlamps while driving.

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I suggest you use a good digital voltmeter to measure voltage on the 12V bus when the Prius is READY. It should be ~13.8VDC. If much higher, that might be a reason for a short service life on your headlight bulbs.

7. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    From my experience, the European replacement bulbs which are commonly sold here do not last as long as the Japanese made bulbs which come in Prii from the factory. Also, the (crap) Chinese and Korean made bulbs that are available are trash that doesn't last half as long as the others. I had a conversation with a customer about this last week. I a will soon be offering OEM, Japaneese bulbs to my customers. At the moment I do not know what is in the box when you order the part number Toyota gives as the replacement, 90981-13058, but you might consider stopping by your local dealer and seeing if they are the original Kotto brand bulbs. If so you might try them out and see how they compare.

On a different note, the brightening and dimming of the lights is not normal. This could easily be causing your headlight problem. I would say the most likely cause is a bad connection somewhere. I would make sure the battery connections are good and that the inverter ground wire is in good shape. Sometimes the headlight bulb sockets get damaged. You might look for signs of burning on the bulb and socket.

Don't forget to report back

Avi

8. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I purchased replacement HID lights from Amazon and had the Toyota dealer install them ($175). They work every time and no glitches.

9. HLF-DZN

HLF-DZN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just experienced the same problem this weekend. I replaced the right side bulb with a
    Sylvania XtraVision® Headlight bulb and the next day it was out. I was careful to use a paper towel while handling the bulb.

Is this a common problem that many others are having? Does anyone recommend a better bulb? I've only lost one bulb so far, but I'd like to stop it there.

Thanks for any advice.

10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just replaced my halogens on my 07 the other day with Phillips Super bright. There super bright but I don't expect them to last very long. Only the bulbs from the dealer last long.

Like Avi said: I drive with my headlights on all day and noticed the connector on each side that plug into the bulbs were burnt up.
    Yours may be burnt too. Are they brown and slightly malformed? if so they will be intermittent and dim now and then and eventually go out. Dimming on the bulb will shorten its life also.
    Its hard to tell as there's alot of grease on the connector so flush the connector with electronics cleaner to clean it and examine closely. Any malformation of the connector will result in a bad bulb to connector connection.