1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Halogen -VS- LED Headlights with pictures

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Paradox, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed! Although I think a dual bulb setup up (as opposed to the single bulb, dual filament of the Gen 2) helps too, esp. with high beams since you don't lose lighting in the near region.

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've always thought single bulb dual filaments must tend to make crazy heat when both filaments are fired up...... usually taking out the low beam element since its used the most and therefore most fragile to burning into when high beam is activated.

3. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good point. I guess they figure that it isn't used very often. It's rated at 55/60W so I imagine if both are on, it's 115W of power drawn into that area. That's a lotta heat.

4. farmermac

farmermac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    is there any way to get the OP's original shots hosted somewhere else?

5. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am a 69 year old retired truck driver with three and a half million safe miles. I also have a 2010 Prius and a 2012 Camry both of the headlights in these cars are excellent you can see very well at night if you need to see better than that slow down! Have you ever had an LED Prius or Corolla come at you at night you are blinded those lights are so bright that you cannot see for a couple instances until they pass! Of course the LED car can see down the road quite a bit but they never think about blinding the oncoming traffic on a two-lane road I think that is more dangerous then the old sealed beam headlights.

Beeach likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A dang sight more expensive than the old sealed beams too.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And those are DRLs in Canada so all Corollas have their headlights on all the time.

A Gen 2 Prius halogen will give the old sealed beams a run for their money. (and that's saying something. The Gen 2's headlights were adequate at best. At the time, we had a Gen 5 Camry with separate low/high beams vs. the Gen 2's dual filament setup. The Camry's headlights were much better).

Mendel Leisk likes this.