1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Happy to join the Prius Plug-in family

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by danmm7, Apr 14, 2014.

1. danmm7

danmm7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello All,

Happy to report that i am posting this as a new owner of 2014 Prius Plug-in (clearwater blue metallic) with HOV stickers.

Few months ago i posted on these forums about potentially buying a used 2006-07 Prius with 100k+ miles on it for my wife as her commuter car. Well, after i received multiple great responses and excellent feedback from members of this forum, we decided to wait and not invest money in an older Prius, due to her relatively short commute.

Things have changed. My wife now has a new job that requires her to commute 30+ miles a day in heavy traffic. Since we live in California, the use of the Carpool/HOV lane is a real lifesaver, so... we decided to pull the trigger on a brand new plug-in. The HOV lane access and the great 50+ mpg mileage, made the decision very logical. Her current commuter car (Lexus GX470) will most likely go for sale soon. We have one too many cars, but that's a different story.

She loves the car. I like it too. We looked at the Volt, the Ford C-Max Energi and Fusion Energi ...we test drove them all, and at the end of the day, looking at current incentives, financing options, resale values and overall reputation for reliability, we decided to go with the Prius Plug-in. I do wish that the EV range was better than 11 miles. Honestly, this is the only thing that i do not like about our car. :( What were they thinking...??

The Volt had a much better EV range, we liked it on paper, but it was much more $$ (even after fed credit), the rear seats were almost useless, the wife hated the super low seating during the test drive, and we were not sure about resale values on a used Volt, 5 years from now. And reliability with GM... who knows. To top it off, the Chevy dealer was super arrogant and not willing to negotiate, even though they had 9 Chevy Volts sitting on the lot.

The Fords were not bad cars, well loaded, ~20 miles EV range, roomy (Fusion), but their cost and lack of current promotions made them a few thousand $$ more than the Prius, and the lower non-EV mpg was a concern. Resale value questions too. At the end, It was between a C-max and a Prius, but we just felt better about the Toyota.

Anyway ... we'll try to learn not to pay too much attention to the 11 miles EV range on the Prius. :) Everything else about the car is great, ... and it gets fully charged in 3 hr or less.
    :p

So, any immediate suggestions & tips for a new owner?
    Any mods/accessories we should invest in to make life easier?

Thanks!

usbseawolf2000 likes this.
  2. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd really recommend a L2 Charger. It makes the 11 mile range a bit more bearable

3. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This only makes sense if you think you'll frequently charge after returning home and departing again in 90 min and can wait another hour. In almost 2 years this has happened to me only about 10 or 20 times. So I've lost 50-100 potential EV miles out of 10,000 EV miles. Not worth it for me. I do charge with L2 at work everyday.

Mike

4. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Congratulations. I agree with 3PriusMike on the Level 2 charger. Best to just drive your Prius and enjoy excellent fuel mileage and reliability.

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Ditto on the L2 charger. Standard outlets have to be in good shape to provide 15 amps for 3 hours; many are not, and can cause damage to plugs and wiring from overheating.

6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I suppose a lot of us in here would have chosen a Tesla if we had the financial wherewithal, but the Prius is about the best choice I could have made, after spending months researching and test-driving nearly everything on the market.

7. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)A $80,000 - $100,000 depreciating asset doesn't make sense to me. No disrespect to Telsa or anyone that chooses. Within five years, 200 mile range EV and Hybrid/EV "should" be available and reasonable. Early technology is always expensive and short lived. The Prius PIP was a good choice for me and I experience EV driving everyday.

Bozoukitar likes this.
  8. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Congrats on the car!

I don't think a L2 will ever pay back financially with this car. Even on 120 I can get 80% charge in about 90 minutes.

Why the limited range? Well, you'll find plenty of discussion of that topic here...Basically Toyota needed to add batteries to the existing platform - which greatly limited the available space for battery storage (they used up all the extra room from the regular Prius to do it - displacing the spare tire and hidden storage cubby.) Their goal was also not a pure-EV but rather a boosted hybrid so to speak, using the two energy sources together choosing at each moment which is most efficient. The PiP does this better than any other car out there.

Bozoukitar likes this.
  9. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A regular hybrid really isn't much of a big deal for some automakers. The Hyundai Sonata version looks like a minimal effort; with a belt-driven alternator/starter, a drive motor coupled to a regular transmission and a hybrid battery. This setup accomplishes little more than regenerating some of the energy lost due to braking.

What sets the Prius apart is the suite of technologies that combine to provide the best fuel economy, while preserving nearly all the other convenience features that we expect in a regular car.

10. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thank you for the comparison discussion. I do covet the longer EV range of the Volt but agree with your reasons for going with the Prius. I often go several days without running the ICE but a few extra EV miles would be nice.

11. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, I wish Toyota had just stuffed another kWh or 2 of battery capacity into the two small and 1 large cubby spaces in the trunk. The one on the right is perfectly useless. The goo and pump on the left could've been moved underneath the passenger seat like the tire jack underneath the drivers seat. The big slot is useful but I'd rather have 5 more EV miles.

iPhone ?

12. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PIP only draws around 9.5 amps when charging (at 120v and at 240v).
    Charging Session.jpg

13. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cargo space. Notice how small the C-Max Energi cargo space was or the missing rear middle seat in Volt? That's why.

Enjoy your full flat cargo space and the 50 MPG gas engine. Use both the battery and the gas engine to their full extend. 50% EV ratio would be ideal because you get to use both propulsion systems you paid for, equally. The key is to use them and exploit their advantages.

I use gas engine for high speed or long trips because I can refuel very quickly and saves the wear on the battery. In the city driving or short trips, I use the plugin battery. That avoids the gas engine cold start penalty.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats on your new baby, great color! all the best.(y)

15. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As was already stated, they didn't want to sacrifice the appeal of the large cargo area and comfortable rear seating. But more importantly, they wanted to deliver a cost-effective choice. Greater capacity would have put it out of reach for everyday consumers.

Enjoy the MPG boost from the plug. But don't overlook how efficient the system is even without that extra electricity.

16. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The Prius only draws 12 amps, not 15.

My home wiring is setup with 15 amps outlets (NEMA 5-15), but wired on 20 amp breakers. There fore the wiring is good for 20 amps...only the socket is rated at only 15 amps. Most homes built in the last 30 years are probably wired this way, but some may be wired on 15 amp circuits...still well above the 12 amps draw.

Mike

17. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unfortunately sockets get damaged from frequent use, and the connection isn't always optimal. Fine for plugging in a drill or a trouble lamp, but over several hours, things can get very hot, or even catch fire.

18. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If a tesla had more of a range around 300-400 miles on a single charge, or a backup engine with its current ev range, or a quicker charge time than 8-14 hours.I am aware of the Quick charge and battery swap but I can't make trips to the stations 3 times a week. My family would've purchased it already, I wouldn't be able to deal with the range anxiety.
    Update:
    Mileage 34,549 as of 4/15/2014--- Date of purchase 9/06/2014

19. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not sure what your date of purchase actually is, but it's clear you probably put on quite a bit more than the average mileage. Still, it's not hard to recharge a Tesla fully overnight at home, giving you a full tank of 250 miles every day which is pretty hard to use day after day!

20. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Unfortunately I drive almost 400 miles daily about 200miles on the prius and about 200 on a ES Hybrid