1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone added aftermarket sunroof?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Northernguy, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Northernguy

Northernguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    After buying my Prius v almost one year ago, I'm still missing the sunroof I had on my Rav 4. Many times this past year my wife or I will find ourselves looking up to see what is above us; only to be looking up at the tan roof. Just wondering if anyone had a sunroof installed in their Prius v? I'm not sure with the way the roof is designed on the v that it is even possible.

2. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Do they make a double-bubble sunroof? If so, does it seal properly? For long?

3. Northernguy

Northernguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What's a double -bubble sunroof?.....never heard the term before.

4. nklb

nklb Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recall reading somewhere around this site that someone did this. There's some special concern, though, because of some wires that run through that section of the roof on the non-sunroof models of the prius.

That being said, I have never considered aftermarket sunroofs a good idea. Way too much potential for leaks, rust, or even roof collapse. (Just hope you are never in a rollover accident with that modification!)

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Might be easier, possibly even cheaper, to just trade it in for a V with the ATP and dual moon roof. I've never even opened mine, its too hot around here.

6. nklb

nklb Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does the V moonroof even open? I thought it was just for looking, and had no ventilation capability.

7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct, it is sealed. It has tandem power sliding shades that close automatically when you shut off the car. In fact the entire roof is one piece of acrylic.

8. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Speaking of the double bubbles in the roof sheet metal, which would have to be mirrored in the sunroof frame.

9. trsandrew

trsandrew New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will forever be skeptical of aftermarket sunroofs.

10. jae

jae Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The v I test drove before buying mine had a aftermarket sunroof installed by the dealer. It was waiting for the purchaser to come pick it up and take it home. I didn't think it looked all that great, outside or inside. I would also be concerned about it for the long term if the car wasn't designed to have one. It is certainly an option though for someone who really wants one.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I love a sunroof.
    Infact, I'll admit, I think I made a mistake in my purchase of my Prius 2, I should of perhaps upgraded and got the factory sunroof and ventilation option. But I really can't absorb the loss I would take at this point, so I guess I just put "sunroof" on the list for the NEXT vehicle I purchase. -But it hopefully will be a while.

I thought about having an aftermarket sunroof put in my Honda Fit, and the thought of having an aftermarket sunroof put in The Prius has occurred to me.

I once had an aftermarket sunroof put in a truck I owned. I loved it. But it was a single piece non-mechanical, basically just a piece of removable glass. It worked well, but it was pretty simple. There wasn't much that could go wrong with it.

It's not that I don't trust the product with an aftermarket sunroof, I think they can be as good as a factory sunroof, and in some cases maybe even better.

It's the installing of the unit I don't trust. Aftermarket they basically have to glue it in place. You are putting a lot of trust in the installer to do it right. And maybe I'm just too paranoid to have that much faith in the installer. You're hoping somebody does a lot of things right...from cutting a hole in your roof, to "bonding" or gluing the sunroof in place, to often replacing the headliner, and hooking it up electrically as well as the mechanics of properly installed drain tubes.

I'm sure there are installers that do all these thing fine. But I'm too paranoid to pull the lever on that slot machine. If any one of those things are done wrong? You have a continued world of trouble.

12. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'll probably miss a sunroof too, but u wasn't paying all that money for one, especially since I'd hardly ever use the solar roof.

I wouldn't roll the dice with aftermarket. Cutting a hole in the roof is a pretty serious "mod"