1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone ever changed Water pump in prius? How much does it normally cost?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by OrangeCountyPrius21, Jun 21, 2013.

1. OrangeCountyPrius21

OrangeCountyPrius21 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My gf lives in Colorado for school and recently took her 2009 Prius in for oil change. They mentioned something about her water pump leaking and needing to be replaced very soon and it was a more common issue due to the colder weather in CO. They quoted her nearly $600 to fix this. Does this sound right to any of you who may have had this done already? Thanks for any help.

Attached Files:

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The 09 hybrid water pump may have a free recall available. It was replaced on my 08 a couple of weeks ago at the dealer. When it comes to Prius I would start with the dealer and then consider a 3rd party that specializes in Prius if desired.

3. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    did they show you the leak?
    I was told the same thing (bout 1 year ago)......I've kept my eye on it ever since and I not losing coolant or seeing any leak. I did purchase a new pump and coolant but no need to replace it yet until the old one REALLY leaks or warrants the work.

I've looked at changing it out myself.
    You'll need to remove the belt and it's a pretty tight squeeze getting at all the bolts....so you'll need a pretty good socket set with extensions and some fancy maneuvering to get at the pump.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    a zero-deg offset wrench makes it easier:

5. FloridaDad

FloridaDad New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, just had mine changed out on a '07 with 80K miles. It was $229 at dealer in panhandle of FL. Did truly need it as the car has been losing coolant slow and steady every week.

6. thordehr

thordehr Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, according to the bill it looks like they used the wrong viscosity oil and just used what they had on hand. Might want to give second thoughts to having them do any further work.

7. Drdiesel

Drdiesel Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

No only that, but they're using: "R5W-30 - Re-refined 5W-30 engine oil"

The labor time is correct with the included coolant system D&R. I would have them replace
    the T-Stat while it's drained. That T-Stat is 5 years old and should be replaced with the pump, IMO.

Looks like the WP will only cost $480.00 from the estimate. You're adding the LOF too.