1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone ever installed an aftermarket sunroof on the Gen 3 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by heyphillip, Jun 18, 2014.

1. heyphillip

heyphillip Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have seen a few pictures online from Shops around the country but haven't actually seen one in person .I contacted a installer in my area who installs for the dealerships in the area who said they could install one in my 2014 Prius 4 for 1195.00 with life time warranty on parts. The sunroof is by a company called Signature Sunroof

Dylan Doxey likes this.
  2. neez

neez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The problem with an aftermarket sunroof are a few things.
    1. No rain channels incase it does leak.
    2. More noise and wind when open since there is no front deflector.
    3. Curved roof makes it more difficult to get a perfect seal, which plays out over time.

I had an aftermarket sunroof on my old car, it worked fine for about 5-6 years. Then the seals started to fall out and it leaked.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I regret to an extent not getting a factory sunroof. But the cost for what I wanted in every other respect would of been huge to make the jump.

My personal opinion is that an aftermarket sunroof can work, but you are at the mercy of the skill of the installer, and the quality of the materials and work being done. I don't think they are ever as good as a factory installed sunroof.

I really like Sunroofs but I haven't got the courage to have one installed aftermarket. The idea of someone cutting a hole in my roof, as well as wiring one up, just makes me too nervous.

If you really want one, I guess my only advice is to do diligent research not only on the physical product being installed-The Sunroof Itself, but also try to get reviews or information on the installer doing the work. You really want someone who knows what they are doing.

If I had confidence in the product, and the installer, I would consider it.

Also investigate how long this installer has been in business. A few years ago I researched the idea of getting a sunroof installed in my Honda Fit and found that almost every installer I contacted professed to doing installations for numerous dealerships. I figured some of them were telling the truth, but also some had to be lying.

You want an installer that has been in business a long time and is also likely to be in business a long time more. Some smaller independent shops can offer a lifetime warranty, but if they are out of business in a year or two, you could be stuck. Who is actually backing up the warranty? The installation shop or the sunroof manufacturer?

I've watched enough Automotive restoration and modification programs on television to know that just about anything can be done to almost any vehicle, if the people doing it are skilled enough.

4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three