1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone had their windows tinted

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by cpautler, Aug 12, 2004.

1. cpautler

cpautler New Member

I'm interested in getting my windows tinted as I thought it would help keep it cooler, but I want to make sure it's done right. I've seen a lot of cars with horrible looking tinting with bubbles and all, and I've heard that there's a couple of methods, one is computer cut tinting and the other uses razor blades to cut it on the glass.
    Anyway, I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences with this and if anyone knows of a good place to get this done.

Chris (Silver '04)

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Chris,
    Several of us have, and I think it looks great on the Prius.

You don't mention where you live...that would certainly increase your chances of getting a good specific recommendation. Also, ask around. Look for a car that has a nice tint job and ask the owner where they got it done.

I doubt there's any true advantage to computer cut vs human cut, assuming the operator of each is experienced and good. Likewise, the bubble issues are strictly due to how the tint was applied.

Also, before you ask, despite the warnings about interference with GPS operation, no one has reported any significant problems or interference...including me.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm guessing the OC since this is their Local Club forum.... :)

I rarely pay attention to the forum categories when I use the "Posts Since Last Visit" feature, too :)

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Duh, thanks Danny... I hope you can get things where we can 'opt out' of these local forums and such soon, some, particularly the NW one is getting a bit too active and I have almost no interest.

5. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Chris, I had mine done right off of 28th and Cherry in Signal Hill at:

Picture Perfect Detailing
    2060 E 28th St
    Signall Hill, CA 90755
    562-988-1777

Rene Cisneros was the guy that helped me with it. I payed $169 and it's covered for as long as I own it against peeling, bubbling, etc I absolutely love the job they did and would go back to them again and again, even after I move to WA :) It took a couple hours, but just have a cell phone on you and wander up a couple blocks to Willow and Cherry. There's a Home Depot, Costco, Petsmart, Office Max and some fast food places. Plenty of places to occupy your time and they called me right when they finished. JUST DON'T FORGET YOU CAN'T REALLY ROLL THE WINDOWS DOWN FOR 2-3 DAYS!!
    There were four tint options and I picked the third (just under limo)
    It keeps the car SO cool even after it's been sitting in the parking lot at work for hours... The combo of my canvas works heat shield and the tint is amazing! Driving at night isn't difficult with it either.
    Only thing they did "wrong" was at first they didn't get those two tiny windows in the front by the side views.. I brought it back the next day (when I noticed) and they did it no charge, no problem.

Happy shopping. If you go through these guys you won't be disappointed!

6. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many windows did you do?

7. cpautler

cpautler New Member

Thanks

Thanks, everyone, for the great info. By the way, I'm in Lake Forest, about as far south as you can get in the O.C. But I may try out your place in Long Beach(bradca21) The price seems great, I'm just wondering why there's such a difference between that price and other prices I'm seeing that seem to be around $450.

Hopefully I'll get this taken care of soon!

Did you get anything done on the front windshield? Is there some kind of line that it can't go past or something?

Well, Thanks again!

Chris

8. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

If this Q was meant for me, everything was done except for the already tinted strip below the spoiler and the windshield. That includes the tiny ones behind the back windows and the tinier ones in front of the front windows.
    I didn't put a strip in the windshield because I have VERY dark polarized prescription lenses with a mirroring on the outside so I can pretty much stare at the sun and be fine (I don't though, lol) (The glasses were like $279 at Lenscrafters for the Rx, mirror and polarization and took just a little longer than the 1 hour they always say because of the extra treatment to them)

9. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Re: Thanks

No idea why it's SOO different but like I said, I was told it's covered for as long as I own it guaranteed not to peel or bubble. I've also used regualr glass cleaners a few times. I noticed others afterward that say "safe for tint" (does that matter, btw?)

One thing I KNOW I forgot to mention is that this is the place that was referred to me when I asked the Toyota Dealership (Toyota of Long Beach). That's how I found out about them. You can pay more if you want also, and they do some amazing detailing work (may need to make an appointment for something like that though... actually I'd make one anyway come to think of it). I've never taken advantage of it, but they have pics of all these exotics they've done ALL OVER THE PLACE (They told me I was the first Prius [at least the 2nd gen Prius], and after I explained the SS/SE they told me they fell in love)

Like I said, I would definitely go to them especially if you have an excuse to either go to Long Beach OR one of those stores in the area there. Didn't mention last time, but there's also a new Starbucks so if you just wanted to get a magazine or a book from the Home Depot or Costco and come to Starbucks and read the whole time, it's only about a 3 block walk.

10. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

For a photo reference on the work I had done, here's a pic of my car and I also changed it so it's now my avatar.

11. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Should have realized you did the front ones when you pointed out they missed part in the front. :mrgreen:

As I've asked before, but now must ask you, won't front windows tinted so darkly give you problems with police?

12. pdamski

pdamski New Member

The difference in price comes from the film being used. I had a "ceramic" film applied to my car. This is manufactured by a german company called Huper Optik. It is much lighter than other films and offers at least equal if not better sun protection. It also will not interfere with RF for the phone and GPS. It may not be worth it for you but you should be aware of the option.

Pete Damski
    Simi Valley, CA

13. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did you get lucky with the polarizing? I have found that polarizing lenses can make screens 'invisible' unless the lenses are tilted just right. I had that problem with my rental. I figured when my Prius comes in, I'd have to ditch the polarized shades.

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It might depend on the state. In VT, you may not put ANY aftermarket tinting on the front windows or the windshield. I did have a 3" strip put on the top of my Odyssey's windshield anyway, as it is no different than what most cars have from the factory and does not interfere with an officer seeing inside. I wish I could have the same thing on the top of the driver's window.

With regard to cleaning, mine specifically said to avoid glass cleaners containing ammonia.

15. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    California has the same laws with regards to the front window tinting as well.

16. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Though we have the same laws, installers will still tint the windows. It's simply a fix-it ticket if you get pulled over - and generally that only happens when Mr Cop is having a bad day :-/

-Rick (also in Lake Forest)

17. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Bradca21: Your car looks great! How's visibility to the sides and rear affected when driving at night?

18. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

I suppose it may help with some stuff but I have never had any issues with my cell phone signal, radio OR gps signals...

19. InTheWASide

InTheWASide New Member

Repeat after me SHOULD you get pulled over (because at least on a BLACK prius, it isn;t that noticable

"Oh my God officer!!! Are you SERIOUS?! I told them to only do the darkest that California would allow! No need to write me a fix it ticket. I'm headed over there tomorrow MYSELF!!"

:D