1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch Hydraulic Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by susan norrie, Oct 21, 2012.

1. susan norrie

susan norrie New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The hatch just slammed down on my head! Turns out the rubber plug at end of hydraulics have both disintegrated on my 2010 Prius. This should be on recall but isnt. Anyone else experience this?

2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Can't say I've heard of this before but I could be wrong. Didn't have any problem on my 06

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    First I have heard of this problem. Mine are still in good shape and working fine. May have something to do with the colder climate.

4. bliano

bliano New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know how to start a new conversation. Has anyone had problems with a frozen caliper? I have a 2010 Prius II with 46K. Just got it inspected before a 800 mile trip. The mpg was 40-45! When I got back the back wheel was making a noise like it was scraping and repair shop found the back right caliper frozen solid. He said it was probably due to salt use in NY. I am upset to have such an issue with a 3 year old car that was just checked. Is there any warrantee coverage on something like this?

5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Go to Forums at the top of the page, scroll down to Gen III, then scroll down and select Maint and Troubleshooting. At the top of the page there is a selection for New Thread. Select this, enter the thread title and then type your post.

Do this instead of jumping in the middle of someone else's thread !

prominence and sfv41901 like this.
  6. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mine will stay up, even with a 30lb Thule bike carrier attached to the hatch. There is extra margine designed into the struts. I thinks yours are defective. Take it to the dealer and hopefully it is still under warranty.

7. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Colder weather makes the gas struts on the rear hatch less effective. Age does the same thing and can make the cold weather hatch support even less effective. Austin doesn't get as cold as most parts of Canada. I've run into this problem with my Chrysler minivan here in the Seattle area in the winter.

Susan, you could try the dealership for a replacement assuming you're still under warranty, otherwise you may need to replace the struts.

8. DLR

DLR New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes I am having the same problem with my 2010 Prius OUCH. I live in PA last year was a mild winter and the car spend the night in a garage. I have an extended warranty for the car. I hope this is covered.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  10. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Welcome to the forum.

Ur ext warranty will cover the replacement.

11. Roland1555

Roland1555 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Haven't encountered this, but, I do know that some people like to spray stuff like wd-40 around hinges and moving parts. It is not recommended to spray the struts as these "lubricants" can lead to disintegration of the seals. High ozone levels in large cities will also tend to cause faster breakdown of rubber stuff.

Not saying you live in a city with bad air, or that you lubed your struts, but i'd bet that oter people have.

Glad that you are mostly unhurt as you could tell us about the problem. I hope warranty covers it, as I think 2-3 years is too short a service life for these things.

As another poster to the thread has noted, colder weather is now closing in upon us, and these things do get weaker as temps drop, so be careful before getting youself under the hatch until you determine it is really being held up in the fully open position properly.

Roland

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my 04 was still good last spring when i sold it.

13. alsteckprius

alsteckprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Had the same problem last winter when my 2010 was only 1 1/2 years old. Dealer said it was "normal." Smacked my head on the half-opened hatch a few days ago. Will go back to dealer and make some noise. I'll let everyone know how I made out.

14. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My 2010 OEM liftgate struts had also weakened and would no longer raise the liftgate to its fully open position. Since I was out of warranty, I installed "STRONGARM GAS CHARGED LIFT SUPPORTS", part no. 4686 that were on sale at Advance Auto in March 2012 for $21.59 each. These are a good solution if you can't get yours replaced under warranty.

Check out the below thread for more information,

Aftermarket Hatch Struts | PriusChat

15. subdood

subdood Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My 2010 rear hatch struts failed. I was out of warranty but the dealer replaced them free as a goodwill gesture.

16. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not on this vehicle but on my saab. If they won't replace them for free, don't have the dealer replace, you can get far better replacements for far less than what a dealer will charge. simple to install. When the seal goes on one, the other is forced to handle all the weight...and it fails shortly after.

17. josemedina

josemedina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just checked of Advances web page and they say it wont fit the 2010. Did you have to modify it to fit?

18. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    They fit perfectly, without any modification. If you want to be sure, take one of your old OEM struts to the store and compare it to the new one before you purchase it.

FYI - After nine months of use the Strong Arm struts still raise the hatch completely and the hatch now closes with normal effort.