1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hate Exxon Mobil because of Valdez so...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Doug, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Doug

Doug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know Mobil 1 synthetic is a good oil but what is the best oil that Exxon Mobil does not make?

2. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're going to get a lot of opinions! I've been very impressed with the used oil analysis results I get using Amsoil. But it's only worth it if you go for extended use, I find that I can safely double the recommended mileage in both my cars. Many people say that Mobil 1 Synthetic gives the same results for less $$, but since you want to avoid them...

- D

3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  4. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Shell's Full Synthetic is much cheaper than Mobile. Not sure if there is difference in quality.

5. PriusLewis

PriusLewis Management Scientist

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Castrol Syntec is popular with the racers. I have used it in turbocharged cars (where the turbo cooks the oil and a synthetic should be a must). It is often cheaper than Mobil 1.

6. nthach

nthach New Member

For mass-market oils I like Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline SynPower for synthetics. For dino you can't go wrong with Valvoline white bottle/MaxLife, Pennzoil yellow bottle/High Mileage, Castrol GTX or Chevron Supreme/Havoline.
    If you desire something a little more exotic, Red Line. Bottled locally in the Bay Area :)

I prefer synthetics in Toyotas if you use the maintenance light for OCIs. If it was a Honda or GM, I have no problem with dino as they tend to be gentle on their oil.