1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

have two sets of wheels, need opinions..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by syc, Oct 23, 2014.

1. syc

syc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I purchased two sets of wheels, but can't decide which one to go with.. opnions please.

first one is 17x7" silver wheel.. for some reason i can't remember the brand off the top of my head.. it's a japanese brand.
    [​IMG]

2nd set i have is 18x8" Racing Hart in a Titan silver color..
    [​IMG]

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'd be surprised if those 18x8 wheels will fit, the tires will be expensive unless you buy some may-pop crap, and they gonna be really heavy. go with the 17's

3. syc

syc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    tire price is pretty similar from the dealer here.. for the 18's i would go with hankook optimo's.. if i go with the 17, i want to try the toyo versado eco's..

i'm kinda leaning slightly toward the 17's also..

4. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    racing hart are a good brand with a great reputation
    they might well compete, even be less weight that some lesser known brand

that said, you are unlikely to find any 18" 'lightweight'
    without knowing exactly what you are dealing with its hard to say what the weights are
    but for me, supposition never stands...

I think these are 18", but the car has a few aero mods
    [​IMG]

5. syc

syc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    yeah.. those are 18's.. i kinda had a whole plan setup, but my aero kit wasn't finished being manufacturered by the time i left and it's too expensive to ship it.. so i have all the parts i wanted except the aero kit.. i got the spoilers, but now i'm thinking of what route to personalize my car.. kinda have to budget between both my cars..
    yeah..

6. wa-chiss

wa-chiss Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    are people putting 8" wide wheels on these cars? it would look cool if they fit.

8. syc

syc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    it'll probably be pretty flush.. i'm planning to roll the lip anyway either way i go.. the 17's have a 50 offset so i'll be adding a spacer if i use it to bring it out flush to the fender..

i'll try to test fit this weekend.. have to buy a jack.. it sucks all my tools and equipment were given away when i left the states.

9. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    generally larger diameter rims comes with wider too
    it may be difficult if not impossible for instance to source a 6"
    on the inf I have, 18" start at 7.5" wide, and go all the way to 13" wide in the 30lb bracket per rim

10. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    but that doesn't answer my question. will an 8" wide wheel fit? and then you gotta wonder what is the MPG hit?

11. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    au contraire
    it answers your question entirely

..since there are already Prius cars with 8" wide wheels on them (see previous image),
    we can conclude they can indeed be made to fit

....the ''MPG hit'' .... is a new question
    and would need to be considered wholly with other available approaches

12. syc

syc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    the size of the wheel / width isn't really the mpg factor, it's the overall weight of the whee/tire and friction resistance of the tire itself that'll determine the mpg..

you can get a forged magnesium wheel that's 18x7.5 and lighter than the factory 15's.

13. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    jeez. a simple yes would have been good.

14. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I'd have to steal em cause I damn sure couldn't afford em. but the 18" tire to fit an 8" (we were talking bout 8") wheel, its gonna be alot heavier than the 15" tire and have more rolling resistance. gonna be a hit.
    anyway I don't think the op's wheels are magnesium.

15. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    lets be clear here
    at no point did I say 'yes'
    had you caught up with previous posts half the answer would have been obvious to you

the proviso would have to be that not all similar rims have the same offset, and it is possible that similar looking wheels have offsets that are unsuitable, ie. not fit, -sy. no ...

16. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just occasionally you see what are expensive wheels on ebay and the like offered quite cheaply
    Racing Hart are in one of those categories where frankly for racing there are better options and racers trade into and out of different tyre rim combos with a higher frequency. truly high-end 18" rims Like Volk CE28n 18x8 come in at 14.7lbs, or less than stock 15''s
    plenty of scope there for a heavier 18" diameter road tyre to be lighter than a 17" on a B grade rim, and be stronger to boot

also, you might benefit from a wider range of tyres than is available on the rather more limited 15"
    this would be more apparent on 15"-17" variations.
    Is it likely there is a lower RR design than 15" dia options? ....its possible...

So in considering these things the trouble is: if our prime considerations are to be based on performance objectives we need to know more of what is what, and in a situation like this where there seems to be little chance of that happening for the present.

or failing all else, as an alternative a quick use of a set of scales might be instructive too....

17. 69shovlhed

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I asked a simple yes or no question: are people putting 8" wide wheels on these cars? the "previous image" says nothing about width, only "I think these are 18". looks like your answer is maybe.

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately for the Prius that is not correct. The tire design and hysterisis characteristics change quite dramatically as you do up in diameter and thus radically affect fuel economy. I've tried a 17" combo that weighed only 5 more than my 15" combo and mpg still dropped between 4-6mpg depending on what tires I ran. I later switched from the 16lb 17" wheels to 24lb 17" wheels and fuel economy was too close to discern a difference. Once rolling, weight has very little affect on FE in this case. In much stop and go traffic the effect will be larger, however. I believe this is why Toyota didn't spend the extra money to make the OE 17" wheels lighter. Those things are tanks but with the special OE tires they still achieve good FE.

Besides, unless you spend a grip of cash on ultralight wheels you'll never overcome the increased weight because the larger diameter tires weigh significantly more than the OE 15" tires.

19. syc

syc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    you forgot the other factor i mentioned.. i said overall weight AND tire friction.. if tire manufacturers made 185 series 18" tire in an eco tire, you wouldn't see the mpg hit.. but if you're running 215 series , your tire resistance already increased dramatically over the 185 series.. you were just comparing weight.. i can't imagine a noticeable different between 17" and 18" if you run the same width tire on the same model tires..

20. sidecar

sidecar Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    so bigger diameter tyres will always weigh more than the standard fit
    and that costs you MPG...

or does it
    Tire Weight database

I think theres always been some resistance to changing anything on a prius in this place,
    and a number of myths stand that ought not

so what have we learned?
    you can get larger wheels that are lighter than stock
    tyre weights need not be inordinately different, might even be lighter but data is limited
    and I would add narrow tyres can be pushed onto wider rims, gone is the notion of more friction

this is what that looks like, .......BFG's on Enkei RPF1 rims

[​IMG]

syc likes this.