1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hazy Headlight Lens Fix

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by priusgto, Feb 6, 2016.

1. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thought I'd share how I made my 05s headlight lenses like new. Wet sanded them with 1000 and 2000 sandpaper then sprayed them with a urethane clearcoat. Auto clearcoat has UV protection and they should last for years without getting hazy again unlike polish kits. Not something the average DIYer can do but if you know someone who paints, this is the way to go.

DSC009188.jpg DSC009189.jpg DSC009194.jpg DSC009197.jpg DSC010112.jpg

2. Dion Kraft

Dion Kraft Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    THATS AMAZING! I'm going to have drop by!!!

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Impressive!!! I've used toothpaste, and there's a product advertised on TV called "Wipe New" and they have "how-to" vids on their web-site, and there is lots of stuff on youtube also, but yours looks pretty good, and the clearcoat is a nice touch! Thanks for posting!

4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've "heard" Wipe New works great +IF+ you can take a damp cloth and wipe it across the lens and it looks pretty clear, just with the thin application of water.....then....just wiping with the Wipe New kit is supposed to work quite well.

Thing is, my Prius lights are still great -- no issue. My older Camry could use some help -- and it does look great for a bit after wiping with just plain water....so I supposedly should be good with just a quick wipe with "Wipe New," which I see for around $10 almost everywhere.

But, the Camry is my car and I am a bit cheap, I can see alright -- sorta :eek:

5. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think all the polish and lens restorers will work good to make them clear but I haven't had any last more than a few months, especially in the summer. I learned the auto clear trick from a friend who works at a bodyshop. He said when they replace a broken lens they do this to the other side if faded so they both look new.

sfv41901 likes this.
  6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Love the results. My father-in-law has told me the clear coat trick too

iPhone ?

priusgto likes this.
  7. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did this last August and got the same results. The lenses stayed on the car. You do not have to be a painter to get this done. I do have auto body repair / painting knowledge but the average DIYer can get this done with the many You Tube videos available. I took my "repair" a step further applying 4 coats of clearcoat, wet sanding and finishing off with a good wax. The results, as stated, are amazing!

sfv41901 likes this.
  8. priusgto

priusgto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    True, if you use canned clears from an autoparts or hardware store which are either enamel or lacquer. Yes, those will give much better results than the polishes and restoration kits. I guess I should have added that I use a catalyzed urethane shot from an HVLP automotive spray gun, something the average person doesn't do.