1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

headlight housing removal help?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by deltron3030, Feb 23, 2010.

1. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    (I know this is a double post, so mods, please delete whichever one you feel innapropriate)

Hey guys, Does anyone here know how to remove the entire headlight housing?

I was replacing my bulb when I noticed the bulb spinning freely and not coming out, so I pulled on the back, and the "plug" end came out...while the "bulb" end fell into the projector lens area. If I can remove the housing, I should be able to fish out the rest.

-david.

2. sc24vr6

sc24vr6 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    you have to remove your front bumper and only 3 10mm bolts to lose your headlight

3. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Before going through the work of removing the housing, have you considered trying to fish it out with, say, some tape on the end of a piece of clothes hanger?

4. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I will do the same thing too. Maybe you try it already, but please try something different perhaps some magnetic at the end of the softer rod this time.

5. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My first thought was a "magnet on a flexible stick" like mechanics use to fish out bolts, etc. that fall in an engine bay, for example, but it seems his bulb broke apart, and while the metal plug part came out, the glass part fell in the housing.

6. hlkc

hlkc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If the glass part fell in the housing then I guess this will be a good Saturday morning exercise/project.

7. deltron3030

deltron3030 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    UPDATE: so my impatience led me to pay $15 for a 2 day subscription to the tech info site....only for me to realize that it was way more work than i cared to undertake, i have a busy schedule, and its just a headlight.....

I took all of your advice though, and did the following:

1. couldn't use a magnet since the bulb's metal base (with the tabs) was now slightly bent so the tabs no longer lined up with the exit slots.

2. Using my finger I could feel the loose bulb floating around, and I jostled it around until the bulb end was facing the exit, and the base was facing the lens. I reverse wrapped a piece of duct tape to my pointer finger and stuck it to the bulb then carefully got the bulb out of the housing. pulling on this successfully freed the bulb....and left the metal base jammed in the exit.

3. there was little grace left to be had, so i grabbed some plyers and pulled out the soft metal base.

HID's now installed.