1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight low beams

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jasonbpriusc, May 22, 2012.

1. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    As are mine. Couldn't figure out how to lower them until seeing this post. I asked the dealer to raise them and they refused, saying "they're within factory spec." When I get the chance I'm going to raise them. As low as our car is to the ground, raising the lights a little surely can't hurt other drivers.

2. MustangConvert

MustangConvert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Here is a video on the way to adjust the headlights on any car. It is simple really as long as you have a level surface.

minkus likes this.
  3. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I need to adjust my right side light upwards for the same reason as OP but the only adjustment I see is the typical phillips screwdriver adjustment unless you are talking about the hex out the back. Because the mechanical ratio is so great between the real adjustment using the phillips and hex I don't recommend adjusting with the hex; its easier anyway usiung the phillips and you can be very precise in measuring the 'notches' you change. Tonite I'll try that and see if it adjusts up/down or sideways. We do have test panels to verify the change.
    Checked and adjusted height of right side lights; 24 'clicks' with phillips turning clockwise raised the beams where driving at night with oncoming traffic didn't indicate my low beams were too high but improved visibility down the right side of the road and in my lane significantly. Unfortunately the lights are not very bright and need improvement. The HID may have the right answer.

4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    If I remember right, the Torx slot is up/down and the philips is left/right. They did it this way to make it harder to blind oncoming traffic. Most people don't have a Torx 10 laying around.

5. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't see the Torx fitting; exactly where is it ? And yes I've got at least 2 sets of Torx here if I find where the fitting is. And my adjusting the phillips may have moved the light to the left and thus improved the side ligthing due to the slant cutoff. Tomorrow I'll recheck on the stand.

6. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It may not have been torx... I'm trying to go off memory from the first day of looking at the car, but the up/down was at the back of the HL assembly.

7. XRinger

XRinger Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If anyone uses this method on a stock Prius C, please post the measurements (in inches please) you used and your results..

8. Rob.au

Rob.au Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    i-Tech
    Hi kevtan... welcome to PriusChat. :)

It's really useful to consider adding your country to the "Location" field of your profile (you can get there by clicking on your username in the black bar at the top of the page and choosing "Personal Details"). This both helps others help you by giving more appropriate answers, but it also helps other people out when they're reading your posts... especially us fellow non-USians trying to find info about features we have that they don't. ;)

9. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The notched wheel that uses a phillips to adjust on both sides has the clockwise to raise the aim on the passenger side; haven't re-aimed the driver side but out of the first 4 sets of headlight bulbs 100 watts is spectatularly better; realy sorry to take them out. The 80 watters will be next.

10. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Wrong. Adjustment is up and down but not sideways. The dealewrship should have performed a headlight alignment. If you want you can use a phillips screwdiver in the serrated gears on each side to adjust height. Clockwise screwdriver action raises the beam height both sides. It can be well done on a dark road at night; just be sure you don't raise the low beam horizontal cuoffs so high they blind oncoming drivers.
    BTW record the number of 'notches' you raise or lower the adjustment screws so you can adjust again based on the visual test.

11. ShaAnn

ShaAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I totally agree....I drove my Prius c at night and thought my eyes were crazy....there is a dark line and then nothing....scary...I have to have my headlights adjusted or I will be using the high beams which are great.

12. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'm so glad this PriusChat exists...seriously. Everyone is so helpful and the info is crucial for our cars. I just popped in some powerful bright white LED's in my 2014 C and i have to adjust them up a little. I came right to PriusChat and found out how to do it from everyones posts. I'll be attempting the adjustment late tonight. Here's the dial under the hood behind the headlight assembly, in case others dont know what it looks like.
    Thanks all!

Attached Files:

ztanos likes this.