1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlight Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jared, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi everyone and thanks to all Prius chatters who have helped over the years.
    Yesterday my 2010 Prius 4 (98k miles) was normal until I switched the lights from normal to hi beam and then back again. The hi bean works but the regular headlights do not. All other lights work and there are no warning lights lit. Turn signals are normal. Could this be a circuit breaker? Thanks.

2. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi everyone and thanks to all Prius chatters who have helped over the years.
    Yesterday my 2010 Prius 4 (98k miles) was normal until I switched the lights from normal to hi beam and then back again. The hi bean works but the regular headlights do not. All other lights work and there are no warning lights lit. Turn signals are normal. Could this be a circuit breaker? Thanks.

3. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    There is not a circuit breaker in the car, could be a fuse though, that would certainly be the first thing I would check.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Both left and right headlight had the same problem? I normally would suggest you changing the bulb out, could have just burned out. But to have 2 bulbs do that at once, it's a bit unusual. Could 1 of them have failed previously and you just noticed now?

5. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Both lights were working fine. I don't think it is the bulbs. Probably a fuse. Does anyone know how I would check the fuses?

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It shouldn't be a fuse, if it was a blown fuse, you wouldn't get high beams either.

7. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I read some earlier posts that said the low bean fuse is connected to the horn. I will try the horn at lunch and see if it works. Also I will try to tighten the bulbs.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I could be wrong, if there is other information that says otherwise, it might be true. I thought a fuse would control the headlight controls, regardless if it's low or high beam.

TsKarma likes this.
  9. ptn

ptn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    According to the toyota manual, Jared is correct. Look up do it yourself maintenance and click on that one.

Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

Page 466 shows the low beams connected to the horn, as well as other stuff. Start on page 462 of the PDF to locate the fuse box. Pretty simple to check if the fuse is blown or not.

10. ptn

ptn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Could always try to press on the horn and see if it works. If it does, then it's not a blown fuse.

11. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did try the horn and it works. Everything is normal - running lights, back up lights, radio, interior lights. The headlight icon lights up and the blue hi beam lights up when in hi beam. The low beams just don't work. They both quit at the same second.

12. ptn

ptn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Looks like time to replace the bulbs. Pretty simple. The manual/PDF shows you how to do it step by step too. If that doesn't work, you'll have to get it checked out but I'm going with the bulbs just went out. Good luck!

13. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks. I will try replacing the bulbs.

14. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By the way, should I buy the bulbs at the dealer or is there a cheaper way?

15. ptn

ptn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Probably cheaper at an auto store depending on what brand you want. They are H11 bulbs.

16. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks.

17. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm just wondering if it could be the headlight relay switch since both low beams went out at the same time. I also notice that I no longer hear any "click" when I turn on the headlights and I'm pretty sure I used to hear one.

18. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Several possibilities:

1) Bad relay.

2) Blown fuse.

3) Bad combination switch contact. This is the switch in your turn signal stalk that controls the headlights.

4) Both headlight bulbs bad.

The bulbs are easily tested with a multimeter for continuity or resistance. Or get some jumper wires and hook them up to power.

The fuse is also easily pulled to see/test.

The relay and switch is a bit harder to troubleshoot, but it can be done. You can try working the headlight switch back and forth between the lowbeam and parking light positions to see if they might make contact, but if they work, it is only a temporary fix as your switch contacts are failing.

SCH-I535

19. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks for the information.

I just pulled out the driver side bulb and it looks ok. Not broken or black. It actually flashed a few times briefly. Getting some power but only for a second. I think the relay is most likely.

20. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks to everyone for their advice.

It turned out to be both bulbs burned out at the same time. I bought new H11 bulbs. The old ones were black at the ends. I could replace the driver's side bulb but the passenger side was too hard. I took it to a local garage and the mechanic was able to do it. Did not even charge, but I gave a tip.

I'm glad it was nothing serious and did not require a visit to the dealer for mega bucks.