1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headlights-Low Beam

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jamieoz, Sep 24, 2014.

1. jamieoz

jamieoz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I purchased a 2010 about a year ago and have replaced the low beams twice. Anyone know of any issues with them or guide me in the right direction for a possible cause? Thank you!!

2. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Possible causes:
    Vibration.
    High voltage.
    Inferior quality.

3. bob34114

bob34114 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have that blub burned out now how hard it is to replace your self ?

4. jamieoz

jamieoz Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hope not, philips at $18 a piece. Just strange that they both go at about the same time. Bob 34114 , the driver side is easy the passenger side is kinda tricky.

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is that like a "bulb?"
    Sorry, couldn't resist.
    After all it is National Punctuation Day.

madmike23 likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's something, second gen though:

7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's Repair Manual info. Pretty dense. Bear in mind, they seem to insist on tearing the car half apart for pretty much everything. Sometimes warranted, a lot of times not.

Attached Files:

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Halogens burn out not from too high voltage but from too low voltage. There has been some discussion that the power wire to the headlamps was too thin on early 3rd gens. This would result in too low voltage, causing the bulbs to fail frequently. I think there is a TSB on this if my mind is working correctly in recalling what I read a month ago.

9. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The wires on the Prius headlights are more than adequate to transmit 12v without significant energy loss. This is BS.

10. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'd never heard that, so I did a bit of research. I think an insufficient wire would be more likely to cause overheating in the socket, rather than impacting the bulb longevity directly. That's probably the cause of premature failure.

11. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I believe that headlights run in series when they operate as daytime driving lights. This could lead to higher current in the wires I think.

12. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nope, that would be for highbeams. And the lift back doesn't use highbeam DRLs.

It's my opinion that bulbs burn out primarily from power instability at start up, when people leave their light switch in the on position all the time.

SCH-I535

Robert Holt likes this.
  13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Depends on your location. In Canada, the highbeams on half-brightness are day time running lights. They come on automatically at start up (or at release of parking brake?), and shut off if the light switch is turned to parking or head lights.

14. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A small wire definitely could reduce the voltage; by my math, with a 12V/60W light bulb, and a 10-foot run of copper cable, anything smaller than 22 AWG would cause a 1V drop, which is a fair amount. I don't know what it takes to throw off a halogen bulb, though. Of course, 22 AWG is pretty small, although there would be other resistances (like for connectors) that would cause more voltage drop, so a safe gauge would probably be quite a bit larger than that. I'm not sure how a small wire would cause the socket to overheat as you suggest. (It would cause more power to be dissipated along the wire, but in the case above, that would be a 5 watt power dissipation over a 10-foot cable, which would be unnoticeable unless you bunched it up.)

No, the headlights in series would produce a lower current. This is Ohm's Law; V = I * R. Voltage is Current times Resistance. Light bulbs are basically just resistors (about 2.4 ohms in this case) that dissipate a lot of power, which causes them to heat up and glow. When you place resistors in series, their resistance adds; so to keep the voltage the same (since it's still the same 12V source), the current must be half as much when the resistance doubles.

15. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A lot of modern cars use PWM or pulse width modulation from the ECU that controls the light circuit to reduce power/intensity of the bulbs rather than rerouting to an alternate circuit.

SCH-I535

16. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    just buy and put in HID conversion kit.

OEM bubs lasted ~1.5years, and went out almost at the same time (1 mo later?). IMHO it is more cost effective to replace them with HIDs as they last longer. HID H11 kits down to ~30-60$ per set, as much as the pair of incandescents .

Got them in low beam and another set in fog lights. 3 years - no failures so far.

17. hermit375

hermit375 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    the wife has a 2010 genIII that has HID lamps. And over the last year I've changed out low beams 4x's and now last night she limped home with both sides out. I've asked at dealer about a SB that I had read they said no the vin # wasn't in that group. All was good until about 1 1/2 years ago then 1 side or the other would go out which for that vintage and the amount of driving with headlights on seemed ok. But seems it's getting to be a every 1-2 months changing out bulbs. And let's rule out the fingers on the bulbs(heavy truck mechanic for 35+ years)-- tried dealer bulbs-- brands- styles within brands (silverstars.. plain Janes...ect) car has been relatively cost free for 5 years now many odd things acting up and only has 140,000 mls. on it 95% hiway miles. Bought more bulbs for this car than in 45 years of driving all the others combined/.. Something had to have changed but as of yet haven't zero'd in on it.

18. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hermit, the 2010 doesn't come with HID lowbeams. Either they were were replaced with aftermarket hids, or you have halogen bulbs.

You say you tried silverstar bulbs, so that leads me to believe you have halogens.

One question, do you, or your wife leave the headlight switch in the on position? Doing so can cause the bulbs to fail prematurely in some cases due to voltage fluctuations present at startup.

19. szgabor

szgabor Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    driver side is kind of easy... passanger side is more difficult (the windshield fluid reservoir is in the way) it also depends how "small" your hand is.

it is doable ... my advise is to practice with the old bulb to try to put it back... also when puting in the new put the bulb in firs and attach the cable afterwards.. NOT LIKE what the manual says.. it is a lot easier that way (in my opinion).

make sure not to touch the bulb by bare hand or with anything dirty...

20. subjective

subjective Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There is a reason. Please see T-SB-0204-12. We have a 2011 Prius in which one dark night My wife could have been killed when both low beam lights blew out. Before this we had LB light problems and the service dept. never told us about this T-SB. I had to find this T-SB myself and it was completed this last July at my request. These problems are caused by a wiring engineering problem.