1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

headrest fit and finish

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by James Mercer, Aug 10, 2014.

1. James Mercer

James Mercer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After taking delivery on my 2014 Prius, I discovered that there is a gap where the headrest struts meets the seat itself. The dealer couldn't repair it, the regional rep. said "they are all like that" and dismissed me. I wrote to the corporate office in California, and their reply was that the regional rep's judgement is Toyota's. Anyone have any ideas how to improve the fit of the headrest?

DSCN0410.JPG

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you check other new cars on the lot?

3. James Mercer

James Mercer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did look at other Priuses/Pri; even the C had better fit and finish in this area. The passenger seat doesn't look like this either. It's wasn't so much Toyota's unwillingness to address my concern as it was the GM esque answer "they are all like that" with which I took umbrage.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I had a "problem" with my Toyota, and ran into the exact same "The Opinion Of The Regional Rep" is unchangeable truth.

And quite frankly I think that is BS.

I'd demand to be shown on other Prius whether this is uniform to all Prius.

To be honest, it does seem like a pretty slight problem.

But I don't remember seeing an open space or gap on my 2013.

I'll check next time.

I just don't like that level of lack of customer support.

The fact that something is badly done, or wrong, and that perhaps the factory has churned out numerous ones all with the same flaw, doesn't make it right.

I also had a similar problem with my old 2010 Honda Fit. Due to my involvement at a Honda Fit website, I knew that a lot of the 2010 had a slight rocking problem with the drivers side seat.

When I told my service adviser about it...he sat in the seat and violently threw himself back and forth against it. After having this violent fit....he looks at me and says "Yeah, they all have this".

Arrrgghhh....

Fortunately in this case it was something I could fix myself relatively easily.

But I don't like the "They are all wrong like this...so that makes it OK." response.

I can almost guarantee you, had you noticed it BEFORE signing the purchase contract, the dealership would of promised you almost anything to remedy the problem.

Now that you "Own It"...nobody wants to claim any responsibility.

If you can get no remedy, I'd recommend talking to local upholstery shops. They might have some ideas about what to do, or what can be done.

5. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :eek:What every happened to the saying "the squeaky wheel gets the oil?" I just checked my 2012 Advance with the SofTex seats. My drivers seat has about the same size gap, but the SofTex covering doesn't look like cut cloth like yours. The passenger seat looks good with no gap. I thought the plastic cover could be pushed down further but doesn't move.

6. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With Toyota?
    Once the regional rep dismisses a problem?
    Doesn't matter how squeaky you get....you ain't getting no oil from Toyota.

7. Donna Swimmer

Donna Swimmer New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    III
    How did you fix this problem with the gap where the struts meets the seat? I have the same problem and got the same answer from toyota "they are all like that"...I want my headrest level with the seat.

8. Bingee

Bingee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh General Motors is dreaming all their troubles were a gap in the head rest bracket

James Mercer likes this.
  9. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry,

"I had a "problem" with my Toyota, and ran into the exact same "The Opinion Of The Regional Rep" is unchangeable truth."

My problem with my Prius was entirely different. The similarity was only in the lack of support and the use of the "Regional Rep's Opinion" as a dead end to resolution.

My experience with the rocking in my 2010 Honda Fit was a "They All Have This Flaw...thus it isn't a flaw" moment.

But my headrest appears level with my seat. So from that perspective I can only serve as an example that not ALL Prius have this flaw.