1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Headrest too far forward

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Rhino, Dec 3, 2009.

1. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did a search and did not find any posts on this subject.

So am I the only one who thinks the headrest on the 2010 Prius as too far forward? I would prefer it further back. Maybe I am just different since I don't see anyone else discussing this issue.

So far, I don't think the headrest position can be adjusted front to back. The height is adjustable - but not front to back. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks.

2. jim256

jim256 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    FYI, it does not brush against my head, so I don't consider it too far forward for me. In order for the head restraints to work properly, they do need to be pretty close to the head and at the height shown in the manual for the driver and passengers. You want to avoid whiplash, and the closer it is the better in that situation. Proper height supports the neck better in the event of a collision. Page 78 in the manual has an illustration of the "active head restraint"--it moves forward and upward when pressure has been applied to the seat back during a rear-end collision (or even slight pressure per the manual). Any chance that happened or the back was jolted unusually and it moved forward? It does not say how to move it back, but I guess just apply pressure if that has happened.

3. nc_driver

nc_driver Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, I agree with you. I think all new headrests are too far forward. My guess is that auto manufacturers want to minimize the chance of whiplash, by setting the headrest very close to the back of your head.

My Toyota dealer said he gets quite a few complaints about it, usually from people with a lot of hair. Having a pony-tail would make the headrest especially annoying.

He also said he gets fewer headrest complaints from Prius drivers than from some other Toyota models, such as their SUVs and the Camry. I rented a Camry for a long drive last year, and I found the headrest so annoying (I kept hitting it with the back of my head) that I couldn't wait to turn the car back in.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As pointed out above, the headrest needs to be forward or it won't do its job.

Tom

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I have my Gen II seat in the full upright position, then the headrest is too far forward.

But I always recline my seat one notch back because that's the most comfortable position for my aching back. In this position the headrest is OK.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1. I have my seat reclined way back to find my comfort level. Yes the headrest is way too far forward. I like my Kia van as the headrest is adjustable front to rear.

7. lindak

lindak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes, it's too far forward. If I leave my seat at the angle that is comfortable for me, it pushes my neck out of alignment. I tried reclining my seat an extra notch, but that is too hard on my lower back pain.

In 2001 I had to rule out the RAV4 because the headrests cannot be adjusted. And now the same issue is keeping me from buying the Prius I want so badly. That's just sad.

8. eglmainz

eglmainz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The more you recline your seat, the more severe the angle of the headrest, as mine seems to be hinged so that it remains perpendicular to the ground (meaning alwats pointing upwards). Thus, while I do not mind the headrest when driving, when I recline the seat, say when parked and waiting for my teenage daughter to come to the car, I will recline, and the headrest now is too far 'forward' relative to the seat back.

9. chrisj428

chrisj428 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Oddly enough, it was the headrests cutting across my shoulderblades on the XC60 which pushed me away from that car. I could have had x-plan on it, but for the discomfort.

10. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can blame the NHTSA and DOT for the headrest. All new designs after 2008 requires the auto maker to have active headrests on the vehicle. Active headrests are not required for models that were in production before MY2008. However all new designs MY2008 and after require active headrests and the forward leaning design.

11. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Active headrests have been proven to significantly reduce whiplash injuries from rear-end crashes.

Toyota's slow adoption of active headrests was the main reason its cars (including the Gen II Prius) had long performed poorly in this type of crash test.

My Gen II Prius' NON-active headrests protrude further forward than my Volvo's active headrests. [EDIT CORRECTION: My Volvo did not have active headrests -- it had essentially an active seatback system that Volvo called WHIPS for WHiplash Injury Prevention System. But my Gen II Prius' headrests still protrude further forward than my Volvo headrests did.]

12. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, they seem too far forward. We looked at a Corolla a couple years ago. As I remember, the same situation came up and the salesman removed the headrest and placed it back in facing the other way. Not sure how badly that would affect the safeness of the headrest, and I haven't tried it in my Prius yet (its cold out there and I don't want to go out at midnight to find out!)

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm... It doesn't bother me on the 2010. I did remember that when the 2005 was new, the headrest was too far forward. Now it doesn't bother me.

14. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Or maybe your head and/or neck is kinked a couple inches farther forward now and you're used to it? :D

Urp, while checking the secret maintenance setup menu a few minutes ago, it should have occurred to me to check also for the backwards facing headrest possibility. Crap. I'm not going out there again tonight. Bah.

15. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought I had read in a previous thread on the same topic that on the Gen III 2010 Prius, you couldn't reverse the headrest like you could sort of do with the Gen II.

16. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Position 1:
    I can be comfortable sitting upright with a straight back - but the headrest digs into my head so I don't get any back support. When viewed from the outside, the headrest leans forward like an overhanging cliff.

Position 2:
    To fix this, I lean the chair more than my usual position - so the headrest appears vertical (no overhanging cliff, the headrest looks like a solid peak) when viewed from the outside of the car. This is OK with me too but the seat is not elevated up front. I feel like I am sliding off. Or my pants stays fix while my body is sliding off - giving me a wedgie effect.

If I had an electrically adjustable seat (I don't), I'll elevate the front of the seat to make myself comfortable.

17. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's too far forward for comfort, in my opinion, too. We won't have whiplash, if rear-ended, but you wouldn't be able to tell, because your neck would already be stiff from its "normal" driving position...:crutch:

18. epi117

epi117 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    my wife has complained about it being to far forward since day one.

19. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Someone on here posted a fix for raising the front of the seat a wee bit to eliminate that sliding off feeling. I never got around to doing it myself though.

20. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How odd. My brother and I were complaining yesterday how all headrest are too far back. When I drove a 2010 it was slightly better yet still a problem. (odd eh?)