1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heavy Loads - Gen 2 or Gen 3?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by woodnowin, Apr 5, 2014.

1. woodnowin

woodnowin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I am looking for any information and opinions on durability between the Gen 2 and Gen 3 power plants when heavily loaded. I plan to re-power a 1984 Winnebago LeSharo RV with a Prius drive train including all systems wheel to wheel and battery pack. The gross weight on the RV is 5800 lbs.I have been watching salvage auctions for a suitable donor car. I originally was intent on a Prius v for easier fit of the dashboard without the center console and with the advantages of the Gen 3 power plant. Not a lot of v's come up and getting a good Gen 3 versus a Gen 2 will cost me about double the price for a good donor car. The Gen 3 has better performance numbers, but the Gen 2 still has better HP and torque ratings than what it will be replacing. So I am trying to judge if there is a compelling reason to pay up to get a Gen 3 donor, or go for a Gen 2.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Woodnowin
    __._,_.___

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Prius naming gets confusing. I suspect you mean the Prius v (station wagon) when you say Prius 5.

The real advantage of the v drive train is a higher numerical final drive which lowers top speed but gives additional acceleration. It would be the best of the Prius drive trains but a Camry Hybrid or Avalon Hybrid would be better yet.

xpcman likes this.
  3. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Maybe you could get one of each and have each rear wheel in the RV with it's own power source. You could then evaluate which is the better choice by which way you have to steer to stay on the road.

hybridbear likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would wait on he gen IV, it's rumored to be more power, torque, efficient and built to rode hard and put up wet. shouldn't take long for people to start totaling them.

5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Some googling discovers this was a front wheel drive diesel or gas RV. LeSharo Land - Winnebago LeSharo - Ours will bring you home

I confess I would have set my sights on a simpler engine swap, but I wish you well.

hybridbear likes this.
  6. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking Prius batteries/electric motors would burn out in no time under such a load.
    How about VW TDI instead?

7. woodnowin

woodnowin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    JimboPalmer - Thanks for the info on the final drive. That is a positive I didn't pickup on. I always thought it was the roman numeral for 5. The letter makes more sense, I changed the post. I want a challenge and as far as I can tell no one else has tried yet.

friendly-jacek - I already have a turbo diesel. I have found records on the web where someone has used a VW diesel. I don't like the inconvenience of finding diesel on the back roads or the smell of it. Once the higher price of fuel is considered I could fuel a V6 gas engine for the same cost. The drive train will have a more difficult life but consider: the "gross weight" of a gen 2 is 3800 lbs and many people have towed 800 lb. trailers with them. By using a hybrid power train I hope to lose the rooftop AC and the generator by using the Prius systems to do the job. I can easily strip another 500 lbs. out of the RV since I will only be using it for 2 people. That said, this is the reason I am looking for info on heavy loading. Power isn't really an issue. Whatever I put in there will be better than what I have. It's an RV and should never see the other side of 70mph even on a downgrade. I even found a person selling one with a 1.6 Honda engine in it.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you're looking for something heavy duty enough to work in an RV, and want it to be a hybrid - . I'm curious why you didn't consider pulling the nearly 3 ton vehicle with guts out of a hybrid Highlander. The all-wheel-drive version has electric motors to power both axles.
    It rated for towing - unlike the regular prius

hybridbear likes this.
  9. hybridbear

hybridbear Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I like the Highlander idea! The Prius powertrain has a higher EPA rating overall, but that's because it's moving less weight. You'd really strain the Prius system if you were to put it in a heavier vehicles. Straining the system would result in much worse fuel economy and premature wear & tear. The Camry Hybrid system would work better, or better still, the Highlander powertrain.

10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes - both the Lexus RX(suv) and the hihy use the Camry chassis. But with the bigger traction pack and its front & rear electric motors (awd option) - you'd get a lot bigger bang for your buck.

11. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Very interesting idea of using a Prius-style hybrid powertrain in an RV. You could possibly replace three RV systems at once - engine, A/C, and, with an inverter, generator. I'm surprised the RV industry hasn't already tried this.

12. neez

neez Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The only reason the prius gets such good fuel mileage is because it cycles the gasoline engine off while driving, or uses it in it's peak range much of the time with only short bursts of heavy use under acceleration. In your RV you would be looking at using the gas engine most of the time, under heavy load. Even if it was reliable, it wouldn't net you any better fuel economy.

Your best bet is to get a VW diesel engine, your acceleration would probably be about the same, but torque would be much more capable of handling the weight.

Looking at the specs, your rv came with a diesel, albeit much lower powered 66hp diesel. The early 2000's vw diesels were about 100hp, though chipping would net you around 115hp with over 200ft-lbs of torque. Plus the engines are in abundance and can usually be found in a salvage yard for about $500. The parts are also still in abundance and found everywhere, there are also mechanics nationwide that know how to work on them as well should you have a problem. The only thing you would have to do is figure out how to mount it, maybe get some custom axles as well, assuming you were keeping the fwd. If your MH was rwd, you can get an adapter from HPA motorsports to use a jeep 5 speed transmission. You just have to figure out how to mount that tranny as well.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    easy peasy.(y) pics when you're finished please!

retired4999 likes this.