1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Heavy Traffic Draining Hybrid Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by ChipotleBlkBean, Apr 14, 2011.

1. ChipotleBlkBean

ChipotleBlkBean New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got my '09 Prius about two weeks ago, so I am pretty new at this. On the way into the city yesterday I hit very heavy stop and go traffic. For the first 10 minutes I got over 100 mpg, but then the Hybrid Battery was depleted and I got less than 20 mpg. Is this normal? If so, is there any way to avoid this?

Thanks

2. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I sacrifice mpg during heavy traffic and allow the ICE to kick on when going slightly uphill to keep the battery charged. Sometimes that can be a challenge. I usually pulse the battery when going slow and then coast when possible. The whole point is mpg while trying to save battery power. Impossible in some situations.

3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is normal. There are two things that happen. First, you can, and probably were, using battery-only to creep forward. Using the engine to provide a stronger pulse forward might be better. Second, the hybrid battery provides all power for the car's electronics, A/C, headlights, and keeping the 12V battery charged. Even when not moving, the hybrid battery is being drained, and the computers will only let it drain so far without taking action. There are only two ways to keep the hybrid battery charged up: regen braking, or running the engine. Regen braking is basically non-existent in creep-forward traffic, so that leaves running the engine. If the engine is running to charge the battery while forward speed is very low, MPG suffers.

4. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    No and I feel your pain. Regularly.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Those are exactly the type of traffic conditions where plug-in's and full electric's are going to be an awesome advantage. Sadly though as you've found the normal Prius just doesn't have the battery capacity to deal with an extended traffic jam situation. For the first 5 minutes it's just brilliant, but once you're down to 2 or 3 bars SOC the engine's going to come on pretty much every time you move.

I have a few situations where I can stay in full electric mode in small traffic jams. Like getting in and out of a congested shopping center car park and that type of thing. I also have one small traffic jam where I regularly have to queue on a minor road before getting onto a freeway on-ramp and I travel about 400 yards in about 5 minutes. That one's always full electric.

About the only strategy you can attempt in an extended jam is to try to "ration" the battery power as GWS suggests. A very small amount battery power can go a long way at low speed if you're on flat or slightly downhill terrain. But if you're trying to push up a hill on battery you can drain it all in half a minute, even at very low speed.

What we want to do is to make the best use of the limited battery power to keep the engine off as much as possible. So if you suspect the jam will be too long to completely negotiate in electric mode then try to ration it by only using it where you'll get the best bang per watt, and that's on the easiest flat and downhill sections. If you're trying to pull up hill then hit the go pedal hard enough to force the engine on and save the battery for the easier terrain.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    CBB, Tony meant that there's nothing to be done about it. It's completely normal. The same thing happens with conventional cars, it's just much less obvious, and of course they don't ever get 100+ MPGs.

7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, it is normal, and yes it can be avoided. Move somewhere lacking heavy traffic.

;)

Tom

1 person likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Slow moving, stop-and-go traffic is ideal conditions for electrical propulsion. If you use a light touch each time you start rolling, you can completely avoid using the gas engine.

The car is designed to do this on an intermittent basis. But with an ongoing stagnation in traffic, stay in "EV" mode long enough, and you will eat up your charge. It's not totally bad: you'll run out of charge, but get great mileage until that happens. Depends on how long the traffic jam lasts. Anyway, if it's looking to be a protracted slowdown:

I'd suggest: accelerate gently at one start-up, ie: keep it in EV mode. Then on the next start-up, accelerate more aggresively, purposely to kick the gas engine on. This will extend the charge, maybe even recharge some, and be closer to normal behaviour for the car.

cosminman likes this.
  9. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a plugin kit, then your battery won't go down ;)

10. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I do this as well. It also keeps the engine warm so you don't encounter a secondary warm-up penalty.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    well, it will still go down, but it will take a lot longer to reach bottom!:D

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  13. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try to drive at the average speed of the traffic. No stops. This will get the most out of your battery, and maybe make the traffic better as well.

14. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Extended period stop-and-go, low speed traffic -- less than 20 MPH or
    so -- is a MPG killer, no way around it. However, you will most likely
    be getting better MPGs than the other folks so afflicted... a small
    consolation at best.

Theoretically, all things being perfect :rolleyes: , the Gen II is
    capable of ~100 MPG at 20 MPH. (Let's be clear here, this is well
    beyond my modest capabilities.) Like it or not, the HSD much prefers
    the HV batery SOC to be ~65%. When it's lower, like when you're using
    EV in slow traffic, the HSD is doing all kinds of behind the scenes
    skullduggery to get it back up. With a ScanGauge, you can see the ICE
    being run at overly high RPMs to recharge the HV battery... MPGs
    plummet. Drat!

There is some latitude in the ICE algorithms for driver intervention
    however. This involves one of the scant few times when an after-
    market EV swith for the Gen II can be a useful tool.

The scenario goes something like this (presumably the car is fully
    warmed up and in S4, " idle check" completed.):
    * Let a space develop in front of you as big as traffic will allow.
    * Accelerate "briskly" up to 20+ MPH.
    * Use the EV switch to go to ICE-off.
    * Go into "no arrows glide" to close the gap, trying to "drive without
    brakes."
    * Repeat as necessary, or traffic, or your patience/attentiveness
    permits.

(You can save a small amount of SOC by shifting in and out of neutral
    as well. Remember that you don't get any regen when braking when in
    neutral. This is a very difficult sequence to pull off successfully, over
    and over again.)

It's a fun exercise up to a point. It's like juggling 4 balls while wearing
    boxing gloves...

However, safety and courtesy should always be your primary motivations.

15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If everyone did that, then there wouldn't be any place lacking heavy traffic.:D

mtbiker53 likes this.
  16. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I get my best fuel economy in this kind of traffic, but rather than inch forward using the battery, I wait until there's a enough distance between me and the car in front and then gas it enough to use the ICE for a few seconds without any arrows going into or out of the battery.

The caveat is that in cold whether this can be a challenge as the drive cycle can kick out of S4 and drop down to S3 resulting in the ICE running just to warm it back up.

17. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Turn the heater off and it won't re-start the ICE until you move ;)

18. leo l

leo l New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I feel your pain. My commute to work is about 5 miles and in the two months I have had my Prius I've averaged about 30 miles per gallon. Of course my average speed during that span is 10 miles per hour in the stop and go traffic. My battery has never been fully charged and usually starts off at two bars. It's gotten close but never full. I've learned to accept it. Leo

19. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    What I said applies when the heater is off. I never use the heater in stop and go traffic.

20. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You folks are talking about how to save gas in a traffic jam.

I had this experience yesterday, caught in a bumper to bumper jam for 30 minutes, and believe me, I wasn't thinking about saving gas. I was thinking about being stranded with a dead battery! I've had this happen to me twice now in 3 years. The battery drained down to two blue bars, and I was praying for the gas engine to come on.

The point is, does the ICE automatically come on to keep the battery from draining dead?
    That's a crucial point, it seems, and my dealer will hear from me Monday morning about that question, if I don't see a response here before then. It has probably been covered in other thread for the GenII. Thanks.