1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! 2001 Prius won't start

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by msaltmyer, Aug 2, 2014.

1. msaltmyer

msaltmyer New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a Prius 2001. The check engine light, "main battery" error light and the triangle with "!" turned on and it seemed weak when we drove it. Error code was P3006. We parked it in the driveway for about 2 months because we've been a little busy. Then when we tried to drive it again, the "Ready" light won't turn on anymore. We tried to jump start it directly to the battery at the back. The dash lights turned on but not the "ready" light. We removed the 12v battery and took it to toyota to be tested. They said it is weak and may need replacement. So before we decided to buy a new 12v, we connected the working 12v battery of our other Prius (2003). The alarm came on as soon as we connected but it was the same problem. Dash lights came on but the "Ready" light won't turn on. All the errors are still the same. What could be wrong?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P3006 means that the high voltage traction battery has failed and needs to be replaced.

3. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The high voltage pack was likely low, or out of balance when you parked it. And now, 2 months later it is even worse.
    You have a few options when it comes to buying a replacement pack.

If you choose not to go through the dealer for a brand new pack you can have one sent to you or your local independent shop for installation. I send them to places around the country. The pack and labor to install is usually under $2,000 for a Gen 1 Prius.

Once the pack is in you may have other issues to deal with, but you can cross that bridge when you get to it.

4. msaltmyer

msaltmyer New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you say HV traction battery failure, do you mean the hybrid battery or the auxiliary 12v battery?

5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The hybrid battery.
    Not the 12v.

6. Nibras Yousaf

Nibras Yousaf Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I had the same issues with HV battery of my 2001 with only 94k miles. I changed some cells and it went bad after few months again. Here,s what I did.
    Called Toyota and complained and they gave me 1000 towards repair.
    Called around dealer and found a friend in a dealer and they gave me battery installed for 2300.00
    I was out only 1300 after Toyota check came in.
    Pls use this site for pricing Auto Parts People - Genuine Factory Parts and Accessories. HV Battery is 1875 .
    Good Luck. Please shop around and I bet one of the dealer will do it for 2300 or so. Find a parts sales person not counter guy. Please let me know if you need help .I am in Seattle area.
    Thanks

7. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    How and where exactly did you complain? Isn't the car way out of warranty?