1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Choosing among various prius model

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusLoverTexas, Nov 11, 2013.

1. PriusLoverTexas

PriusLoverTexas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I had last posted in this thread regarding fair price in buying 2010 Prius five (Cannot post since I don't meet minimum requirements in pc yet :-()

I was all set to get that prius but in the last moment, the dealer turned out to be an nice person and did not honor his commitment. Hence I had to walk out. But it looks like I didn't lose much. Today I was doing research on cars and since I am looking for only particular prius options (Package four or five, grey/red with low miles), I thought I would do a nation wide search to see if I can find the right one. To my surprise, I found a lot of nice deals. I had a couple of questions:

1. Has anyone purchased remotely? If so, how was the overall experience? Is it a good thing to go for or is it better to wait for a deal in local area? How much does transportation cost on average?
    2. I found a couple of 2012 Prius four with roughly 20k miles with options such as HUD, solar roof etc. for around $22-23k. Is this a fair deal? kbb suggests so, but I would like to get experts opinion here
    3. Is 2012 prius four with all options (sunrood, HUD etc.) better than 2012 prius five with no options?
    4. I like the LED headlamps of prius 5. Can I retrofit that to prius 4?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wouldn't purchase a used car that i couldn't take a good hard look at and a long test drive under many conditions. all the best!(y)

WE0H likes this.
  3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The solar/moon roof is very nice to have. You can buy any factory or aftermarket part and bolt it on a Prius to get options you either couldn't find or afford initially. As Bisco said, best to be able to get a hands on test drive and see for yourself exactly what you are buying. Dianne at Carson Toyota in Southern California is a good person/dealer to purchase remotely and ship the car across the country. I'd say no more than a grand to haul a car on a transport rig across the country. Less if closer to the pick up location. Prius is a awesome long distance car so a one way flight and a drive home is practical :)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

4. car compulsive

car compulsive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius is a relatively high-volume car and you should be able to find a good assortment of used units for sale within a couple hundred miles unless you live someplace very remote. Heck, even here in Michigan, ground zero for anti-Prius sentiment, I see 32 used units (2011-2013, under 60K miles) within 100 miles of home.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always purchase remotely. You sometimes have to do a little noodle work with taxes, and if you live in an oppressed state that does not allow cars from "ferign" states to be imported (TX isn't one of those) it can be a bit more of a pain...but competition is a wonderful thing!
    I usually look local first.....but nearly always wind up expanding my search grid.
    The last 2-3 times I bought out of state, I made it a weekend getaway with my wife, so my transportation costs were gas and a nice hotel room.
    YMMV.

It depends on what you mean by "fair" and whether you're buying from a dealer or a private seller.
    OEM dealers always shaft people on their trade in's. It's not unusual at all for them to make more money on the left (used) side of the lot than they do on the right.
    If I were to buy from a dealer I would start negotiating at the KBB trade-in price, since that's probably a little more than they have in the car.
    Usually the OEM dealers will keep their good trade-ins and auction off the high mileage, abused, previously wrecked trade-ins. These are the ones that wind up on the 436 "Buy Here - Pay Here" lots that your city probably has.
    There are good deals to be had in some of these lots, but remember that they were kicked to the curb by their previous owners, and then it happened AGAIN after they traded it in.
    There are exceptions to this rule.
    Any used car salesperson with a three digit IQ and a little bit of a work ethic (they do exist!) will be doing the same thing that you are doing.......looking for a killer deal. Sometimes they find a private sale with a good clean one owner cream-puff that they'll bolt a 2000 dollar profit margin onto and try to gig you with.
    Obviously YOU want to be the one who gets the 1-owner cream puff from the one owner.....and it can be done easily if you do the noodle dance.
    Get pre-approved from a CU or regional bank....FIRST.
    Now.
    Then?
    Start hunting.
    Even if you wind up at a weaselly, thieving dealership you'll just get ripped off for the car, and not the car AND the financing. :)

I'm the wrong person to ask. I typically buy base models....but at least you're not buying a NEW car with a lot of options.
    The next time you have KBB spooled up, play with it a little bit and determine what THEY think that the different option levels are worth.
    You might be surprised. OEMs make a LOT of money on options...and these suffer depreciation more acutely than the rest of the car does, AND it's just another doo-dad that will have to be eventually repaired or explained away when it's time for YOU to sell the car.
    Base is better----financially.
    YMMV.

I believe it's possible. Just don't do what all of the goofy kids are doing and plug "HID Wanna-be" blue bulbs into a 4.

Good Luck!

elementnomore and WE0H like this.
  6. Escapistnever

Escapistnever New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just put down a deposit on a used 2012 Series 5 that I am be buying remote. It has under 10k miles for a price under $23,000. The car is also certified used. My wife and I are going to fly out and take a long weekend to drive it home.

This is the second time I will be buying a car this way. I just sold my 2004 Acura TSX that I bought back in 2005 I bought remote.

My process:
    1) Research to identify the exact car I want.
    2) Test drive that exact car locally
    3) Watch internet for certified used at a good price.
    4) Fly out, use some of the savings for a mini-vacation, drive it home

It took several months in each case to get a price I was comfortable.

In both cases I have saved about $4,000 versus buying local.

Both cars are certified used and being sold by dealers.

The certification extends the warranty for added piece of mind.

Both dealers picked me up from the airport free of charge.

PriusLoverTexas and WE0H like this.
  7. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles to drive home? Hope it turns out to be perfect and you 2 have an awesome vacation. Road trips are tons of fun ;-)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

8. PriusLoverTexas

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Does this car come with AT package or is it base Prius five?

9. Escapistnever

Escapistnever New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Our drive is from Denver to Milwaukee, so about 17 hours. We plan on hitting up a bunch of breweries while we are out there. We got lucky with plane tickets. They are $69 a piece.

The Prius is the base five and does not have the AT. The only thing we comprised on was the color. In a perfect world we would have gotten a Winter Grey or Blizzard Pearl. It is Nautical Blue which is fine. I am glad it is not Sea Glass Pearl.

If the AT is a must have for you, that does not change how I would go about remote shopping. Test drive the exact car you want locally, and wait for a great deal to become available on-line.

10. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That'll be a fun road trip :) Safe travels.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

11. PriusLoverTexas

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

On an interesting note, while I was searching for prius last couple of days, I found a very nice 2012 Prius five base, blue color near Denver itself for similar price that you mentioned. I don't know if you saw that. Since you said Denver, I thought I would mention it to you just in case you change your mind and want to buy it nearby :)

12. Escapistnever

Escapistnever New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    That is the one I am buying out of Fort Morgan. :)

13. Escapistnever

Escapistnever New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    They have it listed as a four, but it has the five upgrades.

14. PriusLoverTexas

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

My bad - I thought you were going the other way from Denver to Milwaukee to buy the car. Now I know who is buying the car that I was interested in :)

On a related note, the dealer I am planning to buy from is trying to push me into getting the car certified and buying extended warranty along with gap insurance together pushing up the cost by around $2,500. He says since Prius is an electronic car and electronics can break down easily, its better to buy this warranty. He also said the bumper to bumper warranty from manufacturer is for only 1 year (and 2 yrs limited) and since this car is 2012, the warranty is over and I only have limited warranty now. He also said that I can get extended warranty only now (at time of buying) and not later once I buy the car. I am not entirely sure of his claim, but I feel it may not be completely true. Any thoughts?

15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope the experts chime in. The warranty is up to you but you can buy extended factory warranty's on this forum for a lot less than dealers charge.

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

16. Escapistnever

Escapistnever New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I am always dubious about anything being pushed on me by anyone, especially with a large purchase such as a car. His excuse that the car is electronic and thus prone to breaking down is crap. I personally would move onto another option if a salesperson were making me uncomfortable with their pressure tactics.

Are you buying from a Toyota dealer?

Did he explain why the car has not already been certified used?

How many miles are on the car?

Does it have a Carfax report? That report should tell you approximately how many miles/time are left on the original warranty.

PriusLoverTexas and WE0H like this.
  17. PriusLoverTexas

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five

- I am buying from a toyota dealer
    - The certification costs $400 more than agreed price
    - The car has around 17000 miles and its a 2012 Prius
    - He said the car manufacturer's warranty is 3 years/36000 miles but only the first year covers bumper to bumper warranty and the next two years are limited warranty. Since this car being more than a year old, the bumper to bumper warranty has expired and it has only limited warranty according to him
    - The carfax report says it has reminder of 3 year/36000 mile warranty roughly 2 years, 20,000 miles)
    - The dealer also suggested me to buy gap insurance even though kbb says I am paying fair price. I always thought gap insurance was required only for leasing or if I am paying way more than fair price for that car?

My assumption was that extended warranty can be purchased anytime (not just at time of buying) by taking it to a toyota dealer. I also thought that I can purchase it after 3 year/36k miles once warranty is through. Now I am confused

18. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Find out what that $400 certified covers and for how long. Does the car come with factory floor mats and a rear cargo mat? If not then you could say yes to the certified but throw in factory mats including the cargo mat or something else to sweeten the deal. I have never had GAP insurance. Hope some others chime in soon. How soon until your flight?

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

19. PriusLoverTexas

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The car does come with factory floor mats (at least as I see in photos) - Not the all weather one, but just the normal ones. I am not sure about mats in the cargo though. One thing I read from toyota's website is that basic warranty (3 years/36k miles) covers everything except those subject to regular wear and tear or replacement like oil and air filters. And since it still has 2 year warranty remaining (being 2012 model), I would presume that it would be comprehensive bumper to bumper and I feel extended warranty at this stage (before regular warranty expires) is just redundant and way for dealer to make some extra money without providing any benefits

Thoughts?

20. Escapistnever

Escapistnever New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    V
    According to their website 36,000 or 3 years seems like bumper to bumper to me. They do not list any exclusions other than normal wear. Does the certification warranty run congruent with the existing warranty? Do you have 2 years 19,000 miles left and the additional certification warranty is used up in the same time frame? Does the certification warranty kick in after your existing one ends meaning you have a 3 year, 31,000 mile limit?

I do not even know what Gap insurance is. Seems like another way for the sales guy to suck money out of you for no other reason than pure profit.