1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help finding aftermarket wheels/rims?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by fantasastic, Jun 19, 2013.

1. fantasastic

fantasastic New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello everyone, this is my first post! I am soon going to be the proud owner of a new 2013 Nautical Blue Prius II w/ dark gray interior.

I am completely new to the modification scene. All I know is that I would like something that looks a bit sportier than the 15" factory wheels, but do not want to compromise on reliability or mpg. I'm hesitant to get anything different than 15" because I don't want it to wear faster or bring down mpg, but I don't know much at all about it.

I have used sites like discounttires and tirerack to search for suitable wheels, but I'm still not sure just how compatible they are. One thing that confused me for instance is I liked the 15" Enkei EDR9 silver wheels I found on tirerack, but when I searched for them on eBay and checked compatibility there it said they were not compatible. But it seems it is very difficult to find anything that eBay's system sees as "compatible".

If I understand correctly, the specs of the OEM wheels is (found on an older thread):
    OEM rims:
    17x7J 24.2 lb 50mm offset
    15x6J 16.25 lb 45mm offset
    center bore 54.1mm
    bolt pattern 5 x 100mm

Any input/help would be very much appreciated on finding appropriate wheels. (i.e. specs to look for, what should the offset be, etc.) The 17" Toyota ones are so crazy expensive. :< Feel free to suggest specific wheels! Not a fan of blacked out ones... I like a silver, chrome, or polished look.

Again this is all brand new to me so please keep it very simple. :)

FranklinS likes this.
  2. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  3. fantasastic

fantasastic New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, I have seen that thread and looked through it quite a bit. Still don't know what specs I am supposed to be looking for when shopping for wheels or just how proper of a fit the EDR9s are. Even though I have seen a Gen III Prius w/ them on. (and I thought it looked pretty nice)

4. Chris S

Chris S Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The EDR9's look nice. If you want to minimize the mpg hit, you may want to try to find a wheel with an offset closer to the oem since the tire will be further into the wheel well out of the air flow.

I obsessed on Tire Rack, Discount Tire and a few others in choosing the right wheels and tires and found that as long as you search the specific car, compatibility shouldnt be an issue, especially if you've already seen a specific wheel on a Gen III. Definitely use the search function on the forum too ( search for "offset" too) and it'll return results from every thread that discussed your question or chosen wheel. You may also find member pics with wheels you're interested in.

Good luck!

5. FranklinS

FranklinS Ach crivens ye scunners!

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would think of looking for the wheels you like as an pleasant adventure. If most of your miles are around town you should not get too big a hit with a bit less offset. I would not rule out 16" rims either.

An easy way to to search for how they look is to go to advanced search in the forum and put in the model # of the rims you are looking at.

With 15" rims the EDR9 with6 1/2" width and a 38mm offset you should be fine. The largest hit any reasonable wheel/tire combo will be how efficient the LRR tires are.

Have fun and post your thoughts and decision! The nice thing is that because there are so many Pri going around with stock wheels your new car will stick out nicely.

Chris S likes this.
  6. goliath1812

goliath1812 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I've been looking for a new set of lightweight 15" wheels too. Once I found a set I really liked, it fell through :(

If you're really into chrome, here is a set of off-brand wheels that resemble RPF-1 but much cheaper.
    Ikon dc240 15x6.5 5-100/114.3 ET38