1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help: First Dealership Car Purchase

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by TheAznDoctor, Apr 26, 2014.

1. TheAznDoctor

TheAznDoctor New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Ladies and Gentleman, this is my first time attempting to purchase a vehicle from a dealership. I currently own a 2008 pontiac g6 with 83000 and found it's time to part ways with it.

From my reading online I will not be trading in and or purchasing any warrenties or additonal add ons from the dealership. I will also look to finance through my credit union rather then the 2.9 for 60 months they currently offering and nab the 1000 dollars rebate off instead. Also looking at just flipping my plate over from my g6 to the prius.

The current price they are offering me from ohio dealer for a blizzard white Prius v Two with remote starter is 26,279.00 before "taxes, title, and fees". Edmund's website invoice puts the car with options listed at 26,374 and destination fee added.

Does this seem like a adequate deal considering new models role out in July, should I sit and wait or continue to shop around. Any other things I should be aware of when dealing with dealerships and anyone recommend a dealer? I hail from Metro Detroit, Michigan

Supplementary info: Can I readily upgrade the head unit on the model two or do I need to get another model. Also how is depreciation on these models.

Thanks for the help =)

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like you have things pretty much under control.......except maybe for "FEES".
    Some dealers can pack a LOT of bogus crap in under that category.

Then, why NOT trade in your old car......IF they will give you a fair price ??
    Research that on KBB, NADA and Edmunds.
    It can save you a lot of hassle if you don't have to deal with selling it yourself.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It's not easy to upgrade a Toyota head unit: you either go aftermarket and lose features like car and setup data or you try to buy an expensive Toyota unit only to find that you don't have the proper cabling and extra parts. Bottom line: if you want the features of another model, buy that model.

Finally it is possible to work one dealer against another. Sometimes wanting one specific color and model trim will limit your options. Be sure the credit union is costing the same or less on financing. Toyota financing is not that bad if the rates are competitive.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! what is the msrp?

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Stop talking to a sales person and go straight to the "Fleet Manager". Less BS and bottom line pricing.

6. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Good luck with that.

In most dealerships, the "fleet manager" is just that and won't waste his time dealing with
    your average "walk in off the street" customer.

Besides, if that happens too often the "regular" salespersons would get VERY upset.

7. TheAznDoctor

TheAznDoctor New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Msrp is at 28222.00 (thanks for the welcome)

I'm contemplating doing the trade in out of convenience but the thought of take a couple grand loss still has me on the fence.

Currently working with a out of state dealer for a 2012 CPO prius v. It would be my monthly down by a hundred. Does anyone have insight how to obtain a extended warrenty foe that and a rough estimate on the rate. Checked service history and everything seemed alright save a complaint of ac changing temps at 10k mile check up. Will inquire on that.

Apologies for my nativity this is my first day on the ringer. On the plus I went to the dealer exhausted so it made me seem disinterested. They along with the out of state dealers won't stop calling/emailing now -.-

Still a full time student and employee so trying to squeeze everything I can out of it.

8. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I think you might not be making the best choice ........for YOU......in your present circumstances.
    Have you considered a "C" ?

Have you considered a straight gas, small car......which can be had for about 10K less than the Prius MSRP......or less for a good used one ??

If you will have student loan debt, taking on a large car loan at this point might NOT be a wise move.

9. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

This is not true Easy Rider, the Fleet Manager will handle anyone as I described if you are serious about buying...and they can quickly qualify if you are just a looky-lu. I know because that is how I have been doing it for some 28+ years now...Honda, Ford, Chrysler, VW and Toyota. If they won't, you do not want to buy there because trust me it just reflects attitudes there you won't want to deal with later. You think Dianne Whitmire has a problem with walk-ins? Besides, when I spend $20,000-$40,00 for a vehicle, I could care less whether some transient salesperson gets upset or not...it's my money until I sign.

Just trying to help you learn early on TheAznDoctor.

10. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Read through Car Buying Guide for New and Used Vehicles | CarBuyingTips.com, go through the Internet Sales Dept. of the dealership & get quotes from the buying services. If you are a AAA member get their quotes & gift cards.

The dealer isn't going to want your high mileage old Pontiac. They most likely will offer next to nothing or offer a lot & make up for it in the price of the new car. Your Pontiac will sit on their lot just long enough to be loaded on a truck & shipped off to the next auction.

Watch out for BS fees & crap installed on the car that you don't want. I saw a lot of added trim & locking wheel nuts added to cars sitting on the lot today. If you don't want the junk & it can be easily removed then insist it be removed. If it can't, then wait for the car that doesn't have it.

In NJ the value of the trade in is deducted from the cost of the new vehicle before sales tax. If your state works the same way keep this savings in mind as you will have to receive more than this percentage from the private party sale to come out ahead.

Why do you need white paint & remote start? They are adding $895 to the MSRP. In NJ the MSRP as specified is $28454 and the Ttrucar price through AAA is $25592.

11. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    This is another case of short sightedness.

Sure if they get a feeling that dealing with the "fleet manager" is the only way you will buy a car.....maybe he will talk to you. And maybe he just got promoted to "fleet manager" a few seconds ago. :)

Your personal experience does NOT reflect what happens in the thousands of dealers all over the country. It just doesn't.

I'm pretty sure that a single individual with the title of "fleet manager" doesn't even exist except in LARGE market dealerships.

Centis likes this.
  12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Easy Rider, try addressing my full quote next time. What is this Politics?

Is this the only way to buy a car, no. Many still prefer getting accosted as they open the car door and playing the stupid games. As I said, if you are ready to buy, no BS and bottom line pricing. Do not presume to tell me or others what does not work, because you obviously have not tried or perfected this method. Granted we are both a couple of old farts that obviously see things differently in life. However do not off hand dismiss others the education I have learned as "one" better way to do something...just because you have not. I am not here to spar or measure against you or any other person, so get over yourself.

My advise, as was your's, is to assist a car buyer who stated; "Hello Ladies and Gentlemen, this is my first time attempting to purchase a vehicle from a dealership."

13. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Edit, realized you are purchasing a v not a liftback.