1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! I broke off the bottom door of my Prius glovebox!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jrlnc, Mar 6, 2012.

1. jrlnc

jrlnc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was trying to save money by not going to the dealer for wipers and the interior cabin filter.
    After much effort I got the new wipers on so I tried to tackle the filter. I read the manual and opened the lower door. I took off the side arm and then popped open the compartment. I put in the filter but the door fell completely off and the side arm fell into the compartment.
    Now I think if I take it to the dealer they're going to charge a fortune to fix this mess.
    has anyone else had this problem? Can I fix it or is it now only a dealer issue?

I feel horrible about this -- my new car looks like somebody trashed it. :-(

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the door just fell off, it seems unlikely that it actually broke. It comes off easily and the damper (side arm) falls off easily without actually breaking anything. And it can be a bugger to put back together the first time or two. But without re-doing mine again and taking pictures, I don't yet have reassembly advice.

Hopefully that side arm didn't fall back behind the trim. Retrieving it from there appears difficult.

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Side arm? Do you mean the damper like fuzzy mentioned or do you mean the latch(es) that hold the door close?

4. Unlimited_MPG

Unlimited_MPG Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I made a quick video showing how to change the filter. It's not the best video but might help you a little with your issue. If not...just ignore it I'm just hoping to save you some money instead of going to the dealership.

AnneN, TJ Minski, priusFTW and 5 others like this.
  5. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks a bunch for making and posting that video. Very helpful. :)

1 person likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Jrlnc: The 'side arm' in this video was well behaved. Mine was not, giving several bits of trouble before I got it right.

1 person likes this.
  7. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Even if it fell down behind the kick panel ... it's no big deal. Just pop off the kick panel and get it out. There's nowhere it can go that you can't get it with a little mechanical aptitude. Just get some good lighting and you'll figure it out. It really isn't hard.

REV

1 person likes this.
  8. jrlnc

jrlnc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks unlimited and others!

It was very cold and dark in my garage when this happened.
    I will make another attempt to put things right this evening and use some extra lighting.

I hope it is fixable. I will post back and let you know how it goes.

:)

9. alfa737

alfa737 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unlimited, gr8 job with the filter change ..
    How do you embed a video, does it have to ne on youtube first and how do you add it to the forum?

thanks

10. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Upload to youtube and just add the URL via the Insert Link button.

11. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Depressing the left side of the glove box to get it go down seems much stiffer than other Toyotas I've owned. Other than that, it was pretty easy to change the filter.

12. Launch Vehicle

Launch Vehicle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Our local mice population find the white "noise-suppressant" insulation shown in the video (glued to the backside wall of lower glove box) - to be absolutely delicious!

13. Bob K.

Bob K. New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Notice how the aftermarket cheapo filter does not have the same amount of filter media? This is why they opened up the pleats to get less materal to cover the same area. Also, the media material does not quite look the same as factory when I checked one out in the auto parts store.

For me, they only need changed every 30,000 miles or so. I'll stick with a Toyota replacement.

14. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

True ... but ... does it matter in that application ?? I think not.

Having said that ... can't go wrong with the OEM filter.

I've made about a dozen of these filters from cut up furnace filters. Cost about $2 each and do the exact same job. If you look at how it fits, you'll see it just lays in there ... air can easily get around and under it without passing throught the filter ... it's not like an engine air filter that's well sealed.

As far as I'm concerned ... the whole concept is just a ridiculous money making scam for the dealers.

REV

15. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have noticed that it is easy for the bottom hinge points of the glove box to slip out of place when opening wide for a filter change, but it is easy enough to slide them in before reclosing the door. I bought a Puralator filter at Advance that seemed pretty close to the Toyota one (about $15)....I didn't bother to count the number of pleats though. Happy to change it every 15K if it helps my wife with her allergies.

16. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I couldn't get the damper back on so it rides in the bottom glovebox. If you open it watch your knees!:eek: