1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me find a Prius V for under $30k

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by HyperX, Dec 16, 2011.

1. HyperX

HyperX New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am looking for a 2012 Prius V for my dad. Since I got them the regular Prius, they love it. The V is a lot higher (the seat is) than the regular Prius so it will be easier for him to get in with his knees and hip replaced.

So, I have 30k I want to spend. Has to be with Nav and all in (taxes, etc). Any ideas where to do this? Most of the dealers here do not want to deal because its brand new and in demand.

Are there any Toyota dealers here?

I live 50 miles away from my parents, and they come to see their grand kids almost weekly, and both retired, and they save a ton on gas with a Prius.

1 person likes this.
  2. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't think you'll get a fully loaded one for under $30K...

1 person likes this.
  3. gurneydog

gurneydog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Spartan Toyota, Prius v-3, starting at 27k. Has the display audio system, nav, etc. Spartan is in Lansing mi.

1 person likes this.
  4. HyperX

HyperX New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Best I can do right now, fully loaded, with nav, in black is 30,887. That is after 2500 off MSRP. Almost there!!

1 person likes this.
  5. pdp

pdp New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I take it the 30k you have to spend doesn't include tax title and license? If so, you should be able to get a Prius v Five (no AT package) for $29,600 ($350 above invoice) very easily. If you are good at haggling, you can probably do a few hundred better and get it just below invoice. This is based off a quick search at truecar.com for the Carey, IL area.

6. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Configure your model using AAA. When you're finished, they'll send you prices and dealer names from where to buy it. It's not even necessary, actually, to deal with those specific dealers, as I discovered. Other dealers, often, will be willing to match their prices. I did this last week for a V5....price was 29,415: $1995 below sticker, and 300 below dealer invoice. V3's would be about 2,000 less and would also get you the nav, which is standard on 3's and 5's.

7. mostholycerebus

mostholycerebus New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    Use online resources and find what you can get online (probably $29k). Then call around and use that price to get a better one from a dealer. Online shopping will drop the car at whatever dealer you pick, and they have to prep it for you. Most dealers would rather sell you off their lot. Last week of the year is the absolute BEST time to buy, especially in Chicago, especially in a snowstorm. Dealers have to meet end of month, end of quarter, and end of year numbers. If a $5k LOSS on your Prius means a $5,001 manufacturer bonus, dealer will make that deal.

Though personally, I would get the v2, save $4k and buy him the best damn TomTom or whatever out there. Plenty of cash left over to relieve the occasional pain of not having built-in Nav by buying him a hooker. Or a shot of whiskey, whatever. Built in nav screens suck anyway, as does HDD nav.

8. Rhizzlebop

Rhizzlebop Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have always believed that dealers got end of year bonuses based on volume. Is that confirmed true?

Any chance someone might get one say 3K under invoice if it means the dealer hits his numbers for a big volume bonus at year end?

9. mi2k

mi2k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    When I was shopping last month, a number of dealers called on the 30th to revise their quotes (valid only till that day). And yes, the best number was around $350 below invoice. I suspect the same may apply to year end as well.

10. Rhizzlebop

Rhizzlebop Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yea, thart makes sense. I'd wanna get under invoice on a V5 if I make a move. I was thinking the poster above might have exagerated a bit at saty 5 K off. I thought though, if a dealer was gonna lose a multi thousand dollar bonus, why wouldn't he lose 4K on a single carr to get that.

11. mostholycerebus

mostholycerebus New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    N/A
    probably not on a prius unless they'd really NEED one more box on the last day of the year. But under invoice shouldn't be hard. There is the apocryphal tale of the guy buying a vette thousands under invoice after Christmas...during a Chicago blizzard. Different incentive structure though, dealers get more 'special editions' and the like, the more they sell, and those always sell way over MSRP. So dealer took a loss on the box to get a better EOY incentive plus a shot at more high profit cars on the lot next year. When you got one potential on the floor, and no other leads, gotta do what you gotta do.

Prius are high demand low inventory, so like luxury models the dealer would probably just sit on it then take a big loss. They are more likely to give you the price they want if you don't waste their time either. $200 profit isn't much, but if you close in 15min vs hours because you know what you want, GM might say do it and move on. This is why the internet sales guy has the best prices and usually does the most boxes every month, he working on volume low profit sales vs squeezing a few suckers that walk in the door.

12. pdp

pdp New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm guessing this is exactly why my last purchase was so pleasant, the internet guy I bought from closed on about 8 cars in 2 days. He didn't harass me to add extended warranties and didn't need to do the "let me check with my manager crap" when I asked him to match another dealer's price. I highly recommend talking to the internet sales office at a dealership if they have one.

13. GuamKelly

GuamKelly Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just got one for $28,500.00 but freight from Guam will pretty much eradicate your savings (grin)!

14. Hawkizrok

Hawkizrok Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just closed on a v5 blizzard pearl for $29467. I checked with dealers far and wide and most were going at or above msrp, which is about $31,500.

15. Chiller

Chiller New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Contact Keri M. at Toyota of Bountiful, UT. Just took receipt of mine and put her head to head with every dealer in the LV area. Also sweetened the deal with a 16 gb iPad 2.

16. Chiller

Chiller New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Mine was $26750 level 3

17. priwagoner

priwagoner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    HyperX, did you try truecar.com to research prices in your area? They are a good resource to get multiple quotes from dealerships in your area and they provide data on what other consumers are paying in your area. I checked their prices for a Prius V III model in Cary, IL and the best price they are showing right now is $26,649 (about $600 over invoice) which is pretty competitive and will come in under 30K incl all taxes and fees.

If you have Costco membership you can use their auto-buying program to get quotes from participating dealerships in your area. I have heard that their negotiated prices are pretty competitive too.

Good luck!!

18. newpriusvontheblock

newpriusvontheblock New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Contact Tony Doyle at the Toyota Santa Monica if you are in Southern California. I'm sure he will try his best to meet your numbers as he did for me. I'm a happy new Prius V 5 with navigation package owner thanks to Tony! [email protected] 310-382-8846

19. lblqf

lblqf New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    we got a pearl white v-three @25,950 before tax, 2.9%Apr. If you are in CA, you can get it @invoice or below now.