1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me find a used Prius...

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Newguytohybrid, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Newguytohybrid

Newguytohybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all. This forum has been overwhelming me...lol. Really appreciate help from the experts.

My budget is around 7k. If my car can get to spring of 2014 my budget will increase to maybe 9k. I drive 20k a year (virtually all highway miles). I currently get about 22mpg with my Sable and need more obviously. I would be financing the new purchase unfortunately. I live in WI so a little concerned about how they handle snow but my main concern is the battery life. Most Priuses in my price range have over 100k and figure at some point in my ownership it would need to be replaced.

Thanks for any help!

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    As I live in the southeast the only thing I can say about the Prius in snow is that a number of members here live in snow country and seem to do fine with snow tires. Obviously there is a snow depth issue too.

Some will say don't get one with over 100k miles. But there are many on here that have and have gotten years and many more miles of dependable service. Yes, if you keep it long enough the HV battery will need replacing/rebuilding. Nothing lasts forever including every battery. While there are reports of batteries failing sooner, the vast majority have lasted much longer than 100k. I would love to see some real stats on this. In any even, the price to replace is still coming down outside of Toyota dealers. Replacement with salvaged batteries is as low $500 and with rebuilt in the $1500 range.

The price is influenced by location too so doing a search in your local area and then expanding as far out as you feel comfortable will give you the best options. Dealers are typically more expensive. I assume you have looked through the usual search sources including Craigslist. And you may decide that some other high MPG car fits your situation better for now.

3. Newguytohybrid

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think at this point I may just be better off with a newer Yaris with 50-75k. Obviously not as glamorous or fun to drive as a Prius but with all the highway miles I would hope to get close to 40 mpg.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I think of a Prius as a car where you invest up front to save over a long period. With your budget I'm guessing you can do better with a conventional econo-box with a good history. The uglier and less desirable from a coolness factor the better the cost to you.

5. Newguytohybrid

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so much for the advice. Just needed to hear it from someone else. I'm gonna ride my current car until it dies, then move on to some type of smaller import.

6. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah I would skip the hybrid and just get a Fit, Civic, Corolla, etc. Still save a few bucks a year boosting your mpg to 30-32 and your budget will go further.

7. eroxie

eroxie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Sorry I disagree with them, a Prius is worth waiting and saving for! Watch Craig's list or your local paper, something will come up that has less miles. As far as winter driving, I live in North Dakota and drive mine all year round. It handles great in the snow. It starts even in the coldest of temps. The heater works great too!

8. parrotlover

parrotlover New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I recommend just saving up and buying a Prius. As for the higher mile Prius's, we bought our first with 77,000 and it now has 135000 and we've had no major repairs. Our second we bought with 137000 and also has been fine and our third we just got with 81,000. Priuses are reliable and will go 200,000+, IMO.