1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help me pick a new tire.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by apcpa2000, May 15, 2015.

1. apcpa2000

apcpa2000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I am about to purchase a new set of tires for my 2009 Prius. This is only the second replacement set for the car (currently at 88,000 miles). After to OE Goodyear tires I had a set of Yokohamas which I didn't get to choose because they were free under a deal program.

Right now I am trying to decide between the Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max or the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422.

Please let me know if you have any thoughts, good or bad, on either of these. They are generally within $25 of each other for the set locally.

Thanks, Adam

2. Vinnie_febs

Vinnie_febs Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been looking into this myself, thinking of buying new tires myself and it would be interesting to hear people's opinion and experience. Most thread I've found are about a year old, wondering if owners have anything new to add from last year posts. Of all the threads I've read, I have not seeing much discussion on those two choices you have mentioned. Most owners here seem to lean towards the Continental TrueContact. If it helps, Continental have the best reviews and rating in comparison to your two choices:[​IMG]

#2 Vinnie_febs, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015
  3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I strongly recommend 205/60r15 because of the better traction from a wider footprint. bridgestone seems to have better ratings than GY, and if the sucky integritys are any indication of GY quality, I'd steer clear of any GY products. but that's just me.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not considering michelin?

5. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you have Costco membership, go there. They carry some LRR (Low Rolling Resistance) tire for the Prius, by Bridgestone or Michelin.

Besides, next to impossible to beat their total price b/c of the road hazard warranty included w/ installation. There always seems to be a $70 off set of four tires (Bridgestone or Michelin) running. If Bridgestone this month, next month might be Michelin.

6. magnumrtawd

magnumrtawd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just throwing this out there. I have these [NOT LLR] tires on my 2010 Prius. I drive it like a regular car. and get 40-45 in the ohio winters and 45-50 in the summer.
    They are quiet,good snow and rain traction ,seem to be wearing well,And inexpensive!
    My Toyota dealer got these for me foe 35$ each.
    Just saying.

7. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    At $35each, very tempting. But how much was tire mount fee, balance fee, TPMS rebuild fee, and tire disposal fee? Some places do a bait and switch: cheap tire, but make up for it on the back end w/ outrageous fees on the above aspects of tire installation and disposal.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whichever tire you choose, make sure you don't get a TOYO tire. These came stock on many Prius 17" stock wheels and they have to be the noisiest tire in the world. I don't know what Toyota was thinking to put these tires on their cars as OEM.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe they liked the name? :)

10. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    apcpa, If you value high mileage and quite ride the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422s are the way to go. I don't think you need an all season tire in Florida unless you drive north for the winter. Mine have 50k on them, 3 buffalo winters, and are still great. I think I'll get a new set before winter, at least on the front.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  12. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  13. cyberpriusII

cyberpriusII Prodigyplace says I'm Super Kris

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tons of choices, and a fair number of good choices. They have all been pretty much beat around here quite a bit. Just read four or five of the most recent threads and take your choice.

As an aside, my father used to say that the tires that come on most of the cars from the factory are usually NOT the best and are picked by the car maker for a number of factors, none of which necessarily mean good wear or good traction, but they do highlight the pluses and mask the negatives of the car. ??

Yes, the Goodyear that were on the Prius from the factory were not very good -- but I don't think they are all that representative of Goodyear tires. I am running Goodyear FuelMax on my Prius and they are fine. Maybe not the best ever, but I got them for $315 TOTAL for all four, out the door and down the road.

The TripleTred from Goodyear on our Camry have been fantastic. TERRIFIC wear, great mud/snow/rain traction. Last pair of TripleTred we got some 45K -- and that is running on a LOT of dirt/rock roads. Rare that any previous tire around our place made it to 30K after chewing on rocks for a couple of years.

Toyos are very well thought of in the PacificNorthwest and probably comprise a large majority of tires sold there -- most likely because they are the major brand sold by the "every town has one" Les Schwab tire chain. I never had issues with Toyos, although they are overpriced at Les' place.

2014 Original Equipment Tire Customer Satisfaction Study Results | J.D. Power

#13 cyberpriusII, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
  14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    #14 SageBrush, May 17, 2015
    Last edited: May 17, 2015
  15. dupri

dupri New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi The best tire is the vw bug series 165 80 15 Best RR , traction, snow, rain, CdA . sprung weight.. (suspension deflection) they also hide better if you want use wheel fairing..(skirts) Since you can get down the road easier, the power train will not notice its geared up 3mph.. So free mpg..over stock.. A tight tread pattern is the better RR, The best would be to have Coker Tire to put the Michelin radial pattern on them..

16. gardson

gardson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Another vote for Bridgestone Ecopia. Smooth on the road and wears well.

17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Only problem, Bridgestone Ecopia is not a tire. ;)

There's Ecopia EP20, EP422, EP422 plus, EP100.

(I'll go back under my bridge now.)

I've had EP20's, they are a nice underdog LRR option. I might be going with EP422 plus, for our current car, which needs 215/45R17, in a year or two.

Merkey likes this.
  18. tampaite

tampaite Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consider kumho or bfgoodrich tires.

19. HOWARD B PRICE

HOWARD B PRICE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Michelin. best for ride and mileage. Have 33000 on my 08. hardly worn.

20. yibo829

yibo829 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Continental true contact.

iPhone ?