1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! MFD gone BLANK!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Abe, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Abe

Abe Junior Member

:(the MFD in my '04 has gone blank. Completely. Not the intermittent or weird problems listed in the infamous TSB, just Blank! I get the Prius splash screen, dimly,for about a second, then... nothing. However, the functions still work! For example, touching the screen at the approximate spot where, say, the fan control would be... and the fan setting changes (and you hear a beep).
    Can anyone recommend a place in Southern California where I can get this repaired/replaced for less than the THOUSANDS the dealerships are asking? Car has only 40K miles and I want to preserve its resale value... but after 7 years I'm not inclined to sink a fortune into the vehicle.
    Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!

2. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What did the dealer say needs fixing ?

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've always heard that you can get refurb MFDs for ~$500.

1 person likes this.
  4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You have a couple of options: PC users pEEf and imwoody36 repair MFDs for costs on the low hundreds. I believe pEEf does jobs like this for Carolyn at Luscious Garage in San Francisco, while imwoody36 is none other than Steve at autobeyours.com, a salvage/repair operation in Indiana. Prius MFD Touchscreen Repair -- that link also has removal instructions.

1 person likes this.
  5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It is easy to take the MFD out of the car and send it by poste. pEEF is in the Berkeley area.

1 person likes this.
  6. Abe

Abe Junior Member

:)Thanks to all for the advice. A friend told me about Galaxy Auto Sound in Northridge, CA. The owner, Ofer, diagnosed the problem, removed the old mfd, swapped in another, (probably a rebuild or salvage unit), all in less than 4 hours. Total for parts and labor and tax .... $575. And everything's looking and working great.

I highly recommend this guy. Here is his info:

galaxyautosound.com

8956 Reseda Blvd.
    Northridge, CA 91324

818-700-0440