Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Help! MFD gone BLANK!

Discussion in 'Gen II Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Abe, Mar 6, 2011.

Social Buttons

1. Abe

Abe New Member

:(the MFD in my '04 has gone blank. Completely. Not the intermittent or weird problems listed in the infamous TSB, just Blank! I get the Prius splash screen, dimly,for about a second, then... nothing. However, the functions still work! For example, touching the screen at the approximate spot where, say, the fan control would be... and the fan setting changes (and you hear a beep).
    Can anyone recommend a place in Southern California where I can get this repaired/replaced for less than the THOUSANDS the dealerships are asking? Car has only 40K miles and I want to preserve its resale value... but after 7 years I'm not inclined to sink a fortune into the vehicle.
    Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!
  2. tpfun

tpfun New Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

What did the dealer say needs fixing ?
  3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always heard that you can get refurb MFDs for ~$500.
    1 person likes this.
  4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Your Vehicle Year:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You have a couple of options: PC users pEEf and imwoody36 repair MFDs for costs on the low hundreds. I believe pEEf does jobs like this for Carolyn at Luscious Garage in San Francisco, while imwoody36 is none other than Steve at autobeyours.com, a salvage/repair operation in Indiana. Prius MFD Touchscreen Repair -- that link also has removal instructions.
    1 person likes this.
  5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Your Vehicle Year:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It is easy to take the MFD out of the car and send it by poste. pEEF is in the Berkeley area.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Abe

Abe New Member

:)Thanks to all for the advice. A friend told me about Galaxy Auto Sound in Northridge, CA. The owner, Ofer, diagnosed the problem, removed the old mfd, swapped in another, (probably a rebuild or salvage unit), all in less than 4 hours. Total for parts and labor and tax .... $575. And everything's looking and working great.

I highly recommend this guy. Here is his info:

galaxyautosound.com

8956 Reseda Blvd.
    Northridge, CA 91324

818-700-0440