1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help!! My Prius 2 won't start!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by davaguco, Dec 23, 2005.

1. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    eLearnaid sells an Optima Yellowtop with a complete adapter kit and thorough installation instructions. It's not any cheaper than a new Toyota battery but it should be more durable.

2. john12212007

john12212007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Re: Help!! My Prius 2 won't start!!

I have a 2007 Prius 42,000 miles that wont start today. Can these cars be jumped? I'm getting a yellow malfunction light, previously all the lights flashed. This car was just inspected last week and everything especially the battery checked out. Does anyone have any advise?

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two

1. Yes, you can jumpstart the Prius but you must be 100% sure that you have the battery polarity correct (positive to positive, negative to negative) or you will likely destroy the inverter which will result in a large four-figure repair bill.

2. Yet another example that shows why it is a waste of time to ask the dealer to check the 12V battery.

3. My advice is that you replace the 12V battery now.

4. Redsnake

Redsnake Can drive anywhere

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is another tip..... if you are going out of town leaving your beloved Prius behind, make sure that along with all the lights, the Smart Key sensor system is turned off. The button is located below the Steering wheel next to the Tire Pressure monitor button. This will disable the sensors which look for the FOB key and save your battery. This feature is usually set to turn off automatically within 15 days of no detect but doing so manually doesnt hurt either. I had left my Prius in Public Storage for 2 months. Came back and it started perfectly. Of course I had manually switched the sensor off. Hope this helps.

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

While this is a Gen II forum, to avoid confusion let me state that the Gen III Prius does not have the SKS button. There is no way for the operator to turn the SKS on and off. The dealer can do it, but that is a configuration change, not something you do when you are at the airport for a couple of weeks.

The good news is that the Gen III is more aggressive about automatically turning off the SKS when parked for a few days, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Tom

6. wildbottom

wildbottom New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

You should change the Dome lights, Trunk light and Courtesy Lights to LEDs. Low power and much brighter.

7. Lar

Lar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    two words, optima yellow top. yeah, i know, you already got one at the dealer.:cool: