1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help: Need Advice About Load Limits Carrying 2 Kayaks

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by mark1154, Jan 26, 2015.

1. mark1154

mark1154 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We are traveling from MD to Fl and have 2 kayaks along with Thule roof rack system (Load bars, Feet to attach load bars, and 4 JBars to secure the kayaks. Toyota just told me they recommend NO loads carried on the roof. However, in our previous 2008 Prius we carried the 2 kayaks back from FL with no incidents. We purchased a 2013 Plugin recently. The weight of the two kayaks is approx 100lbs, and according to Thule the total weight of the roof hardware is btw 15-20lbs. I'm nervous about approaching load limits. Anyone have experience in this?

2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope never heard that.
    Believe they took some weight out of 2015 model, but never heard roof top forbidden.

3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Nothing would surprise me. Weight is a bigger issue with the Prius than with most cars, therefore it makes sense that some of the strength would be sacrificed to save weight.

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I mean they (Thule Yakima) sell roof racks for Prii.
    I do not recall any warning message Toyota does not allow this but we sell it

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    every warning in the o/m is lawyerspeak for: if you try this, you're on your own.

6. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What a mechanic tells you is not always what Toyota will tell you. What Toyota will tell you is not always what will not be covered by warranty. What's not covered by warranty isn't always what can't be won in court.

7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting.
    The owners manual on my 2013 clearly states that they don't recommend towing anything with The Prius.
    But it doesn't really say anything about roof racks or carrying something on the roof.

I've always assumed it was very possible. I mean they build some Prius with relatively heavy glass moonroofs. And with weight being put on the roof, you're not pulling it as you would be if towing.

I would think 200lbs, would be akin to simply riding with one or more passengers of similar weight.

The only concern would be the metal of the roof. Is it strong enough to NOT dent or bend? With a Prius this might be a more valid concern than with some other vehicles.

But honestly? I've also never read of anyone claiming to use a roof rack system, and then complaining that their roof did become damaged or bent.

But it's interesting to me, that Toyota is claiming a zero tolerance policy for this action.
    Of course, yes from a legal or warranty standpoint, saying NO...solves a lot of potential problems for Toyota.

You might call THULE and ask their opinion.
    It's not that I don't think The Prius could accept the extra weight, especially if it's NOT being pulled, my concern might be damage to the roof. And really? I don't know where the "bending" point might or might not be in that equation.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Structurally (but not necessarily cosmetically), the roof as a whole will easily handle this weight if the car can meet requirements for rollover crashes.

9. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. If you like to travel rough roads, adding to your rock collection, you might damage your car. If you zip around town, using it for light cargo, I'd say no problem.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd assume that as well, but cosmetically IS a big concern. You really don't want a huge dent in your roof, even if that roof is still structurally sound.
    Which is why I recommended he contact THULE. I'm also assuming the mounting hardware and braces for the roof rack system is designed to protect the roof, and spread the weight out more to the sides.

But I'm making a LOT of assumptions here. Would be easier if a PiP owner simply had a history of using a roof rack system.

Kind of surprised nobody "yet" has simply said...I've done it...it's OK...or I've done it...DON'T do it.

11. Ubiq

Ubiq Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've consulted with "Rack Attack" and Thule for the best roof rack option for my 2020 Prius Prime. Thule makes several roof rack options (for the Prius bare roof) that "clip-on" securely. BUT, I'll be carrying two 13' long kayaks on the roof, which together weigh 102 lbs, plus the weight of two Thule "Hullavastor" kayak-lifting accessories that total around 80 lbs. "Rack Attack" stated the warranty/liability weight limit for the Thule roof rack is 165 lbs, so with my load of 182 lbs they have suggested a Thule system that involves installing a pair of rails to the roof (instead of clip-ons) for more security. "Rack Attack" has installed many these kayak roof rack systems to many Prius Primes, so I'm confident. And at my age (70) the Thule "Hullavator" kayak-lifting system is the best part.

12. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    The only thing it says about roof racks in the manual for my car (Europe/Aus/NZ manual) is:
    "equipping a large roof rack can cause excessive energy consumption in the same way as carrying heavy luggage."

Which suggests using roof racks is permitted. It does have the rails after all. As long as you're not exceeding the gross vehicle mass, I wouldn't worry about it.

13. black_jmyntrn

black_jmyntrn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    so.. I've loaded over 200lbs.. close to 500 so far and drove from Los Angeles to Alaska and back... this mantra of the manual is the bible is getting old and no one has any hands on experience with this... just like they say lifting a Prius over 1.5" is bad... so far im lifted well past 1.5" and have 12" inches of clearance from the ground to the bottom the frame...

This roof rack carries two rifle cases loaded with recovery and travel gear, full size spare, luggage and no more than 10 gallons of water but more than 5 gallons at any given time.

If your kayaks weigh more than this stuff then I would love to see them installed on the Toyota Prius roof rack like I have.
    there is also a Prius C Roof Rack as well

DJI_0163-01.jpeg

14. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    you know those arent the only options right? have you seen the low profile roof rack for the Prime yet?

15. black_jmyntrn

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    hahahaha! I just dont browse here much, the folks around these parts arent to friendly to those who think outside the box and put cross drilled slotted rotors on a PIP like me... then I say they actually regen my battery a lot faster and they loose their shit. Its like okay.. well it did on mine.