1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Need assistance with choosing the right Prius!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by ihodge7, Mar 4, 2014.

1. ihodge7

ihodge7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Help! I am currently in immediate need of a new vehicle and have decided that a Prius is the route I am taking!

I am unsure if I should buy a used 2nd gen (06-09) or get a newer 3rd gen?

I feel like if I can qualify for Toyota's 0% APR going with a 2013 or 2014 might be the best option since I will be able to hopefully drive the car for many many years?

On the other hand, I have located a used 06 Prius with about 150k listed around $6200. The seller informed me the battery was recently replaced at 145k miles... seems like that is a now a "new" used car.

Please help with any information, tips, or suggestions!

Thanks

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

If you are looking for reliable transportation and can afford a newer car, I would suggest you buy the newer car. A car with 150k miles has a lot of wear, even with a new battery replacement, it's nowhere near the description of a "new" used-car. Was the replacement battery from Toyota? If not, the replacement is probably not going to be reliable in the long run. There are also many expensive components that can possibly fail at that mileage.

Paying $6200 is ideal but sometimes you get what you pay for.

3. Technigogo

Technigogo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Part of my decision, in your case, would be if I could pay cash for the 06. If not, I'd skip the Gen II and compare 30k mile Gen III or new 2013's from the dealers. What part of the country do you live in??

4. ihodge7

ihodge7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the quick responses

I would have the cash to pay for the used 06 all up front, but the high mileage does worry me even with a new battery.

I hail from the Midwest, so we get all kinds of weather no matter the season!

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow...your two choices are so extreme it's hard to tell what you want.

Either NEW or a 8 model year old Prius with 150K....That's comparing an Apple....and a much, much. much, Older Apple.

What can you afford? What's your budget and comfort level?

It is pretty simple. If you think you can comfortably afford the New Prius...you get all the benefits of buying a new vehicle.

If you're not comfortable with car payments...or that level of investment, then used might be the way to go.

My logic might be a little paranoid, but I'd actually be a little suspicious of the used Prius. My thinking being, why would you invest into a whole new Hybrid Battery at 145K....then turn around and sell the same vehicle 5ooo miles later? I mean, if I was buying a whole new hybrid battery, I'd be buying it with the idea I was going to keep the vehicle for a lot longer time.

Makes me wonder if the battery was replaced...but then other problems arised?

But anyway....your question is basically USED or NEW...and you're comparing significantly older used to NEW...and that really sounds like a budget issue, only you can answer that for yourself.

6. Technigogo

Technigogo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    hmmm. decisions, decisions. Paid off car is pretty attractive. I don't like payments. I'd still be leery of an 8 year old vehicle though. If it were me, I'd probably still look for a Gen III with low miles to compare and then check the new 2013's at a dealer too. In Austin, they have some big incentives on the new 2013's.

7. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Go for the deal that Toyota is doing right now for the 2013's or find a gently used, low mileage Gen3.

I see you are from the midwest, howdy neighbor!! Im in Michigan. Prius are very reasonably priced here, so if you near Michigan and cannot seem to find "the one" switch your search to Michigan (y)

8. ihodge7

ihodge7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 5-7k I can throw down right away, I have never had a car payment so this is most likely why I am nervous about having a monthly payment...

I am in the Kansas City area, prices for new 2103s from the dealers seem to be fairly consistent in Kansas and Missouri.

I feel like if I am going to get a gently used gen3 with a low amnt of miles, I might as well get a new 2013 from the dealer at 0% APR (if I qualify)

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

You have to decide your financial situation in whether or not you can afford to make the payments on a newer car. If you can't or don't feel comfortable with doing so, you can consider the higher mileage car. The car having a new battery (hopefully Toyota), is a good start. Keep up the maintenance and it can last you for a while.

Keep in mind you may get into a situation where a repair would come up and end up costing $3000. If this type of expense is a deal breaker, then I would suggest you don't look at a used car with 150k miles.

10. Technigogo

Technigogo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I agree.

11. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    True true. Im looking at the bottom line. Because you stated you'd like to keep financing to a minimum. To me, that means financing the least amount possible. I get it, Im the same way. Alas, why I ended up buying a used 2007 Level 5 instead of a nice and shiny 2012 (at the time- I bought my Prius in Sept 2012). :cool:

A 2010 Prius III with 38,000 miles for $16,000. Perhaps you offer $15,000 and it gets accepted. so Lets say $15,500. 2.99% interest. 2010 Toyota Prius III
    A bank note at 2.99% for 5 years is $278.45 according to bankrate.com's car loan calculator.

A 2013 Prius III with 0 miles for $26,854 at 0% financing.
    New 2013 Toyota Prius For Sale | Troy MI
    A bank note at 0.01% (it wouldnt let me enter all 0's!) for 5 years is $447.68 according to bankrate.com's car loan calculator.

I didnt take in account your down payment. But you can easily plug it in here: Auto loan calculator - Bankrate.com

If money is an issue for you and you do not like car payments drawn out for a period of time, then I'd go with option #1. If you want to pay $10,000 extra for a brand new Prius and get 3% less interest, then by all means - get the 2013 Prius.

12. ihodge7

ihodge7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles/what price did you pay for the used 07 in 2012?

It is sounding more and more like I should head to Toyota and see if I do indeed qualify for 0% APR on a 2013.

13. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I paid $13k for my 2007 with 54,000 miles in Sept 2012.

Of course, I opted for a Gen2 instead of a Gen3 so we are comparing apples to oranges vs. comparing apples to apples in your case.
    Used Gen3's are much selling for much cheaper now compared to when I bought my Prius, otherwise I would've bought a Gen3. (y) I simply did not want a big/long drawn out car payment. I hate having financial liability.

14. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    10 years from now both cars will still be running and worth about the same amount. The $15-20k you saved by buying the older car could be spent on an appreciating asset (ie house) or invested and you would have $20-30K in the bank and a good running used Prius to drive.

My opinion

15. ihodge7

ihodge7 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay.. for the potential used car route.

What mileage would it be best to stay under when looking to buy a used GenII, does it really matter? More worried about the battery in the vehicle, right?

16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

This is very optimistic. You sell used Prius cars for a living so your response might be a little biased. A car that's new will not have the same amount of repairs as a used car. Yes they both can last 10 years however one will cost much more in repairs before it gets to the 10 year mark.

17. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Well, your traction battery is covered for 8 years/100k miles. Unless you live in a CARB state and that bumps up the warranty to 10 years/150k miles.

Really, knowing what I know now, if I were to be in your spot right now... I'd be looking for a good deal on a low mileage 2010 Gen 3. You'll get the newer design, a newer powertrain, and a newer battery warranty (y)

Technigogo likes this.
  18. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't know what rust does to Prii, that being said I would go for new and I would take a deep breath and buy a Prius 4, the power heated seat, and all the other stuff are worth it. It is a good time to buy, remember low gas prices =low Prius prices, come summer when gas prices are up Pruis prices will rise, both new and used. bargain hard and remember the 0% deals mean you leave $1000 on the table for the dealer-there is no such thing as a free lunch, so run the numbers carefully.

19. Technigogo

Technigogo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bought mine. 2010 Model 3 with Nav, tinted windows and 37k miles. I paid 16,250. I found a decent selection of 2010-2012 with mileage ranging 29k-59k for 12500-19000. I selected mine because I wanted black, I liked the low miles and it was in cherry condition.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  20. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    But don't tarry too long; the '13s might not be available very long.

AND.....if you don't do a lot of high speed highway driving, don't overlook the C.
    It really is pretty nice.......for a little car.