1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! OK to apply parking brake while the drum is out?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 2009Prius, Jul 28, 2012.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I am rotating tires and doing brake inspection. I may not have fully released the parking brake when I pulled the drum out. Now I can't put it back. I need to apply the parking brake and then release it again so I can put the drum back. Is it OK to do so? Thanks!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As you apply the parking brake that will push the drum shoes out further. I suggest you have someone watch the drum shoes while you very slowly depress the parking brake pedal, to warn you in case it looks like something bad is happening.

An alternate approach might be to rotate the toothed wheel to move the brake shoes inwards, thus allowing you to replace the drum. Then release the parking brake and adjust the toothed wheel back in the reverse direction.

2009Prius likes this.
  3. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thank you! I managed to slide the drum back in by carefully aligning it - since after posting I remembered that I had rotated the drum and thought it being free - the brake must have been ever so slightly touching. After putting the drum back, I put two nuts on loosely just in case. Then I applied the parking brake twice making sure it was fully released the second time. After that the drum could spin freely (before it was rubbing slightly). Hope there won't be next time but if there is I will try the toothed wheel. Thanks again!