1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

help, opinions and thoughts

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by aleesha, Nov 27, 2014.

1. aleesha

aleesha New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought 2008 Prius a year ago from elderly man I knew that didn't use it a lot and was in excellent condition and had all the service records. Has 40, 000 miles. I like it but now realize I am stuck because who besides dealer can I trust knows how to work on it? I am not looking to work on it (probably COULD have changed cabin filter myself!). He always took to AutoNationToyota on Colonial for his oil change. Do I have any other options for someone to take it to when I need work? I have had 2 oil changes there and they now want me to have brake fluid changed, coolant flushed, induction, GFI (?) and AC? (something they want $70). They say all I actually need now is brake and coolant changed. Internet people say change brake fluid every 3 years because brake fluid get moisture in it and brakes get corroded. It hasn't been changed for 6 years! Last week I had a P1121 "coolant flow control valve" (went to autozone for diagnosis code). It now is not coming on. I am going to get a friend to help me decide if I have red or pink coolant. Supposedly if pink it doesn't need to be flushed for 100,000 miles and if I top it off maybe problem solved. After reading a lot online I realize I need to learn more and check fluids and tires more regularly. I noticed the dipstick shows 1/2" too high. Can't this hurt the catalytic converter eventually? Tried to put a rag into where you put engine oil to get some of it out but it doesn't work.

I would greatly appreciate ideas on good shop to take it to besides dealer and your opinion about P1121 and engine oil being too high. Thanks so much for reading this!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! you can have your prius worked on at any good local mechanic. for most of it's operational life, the service is the same as any other car. when you get over 100,000 miles, and you start need ing things like coolant replacement and brake pads, a little more care needs to be taken, but still can be done outside the dealer by a thoughtful mechanic who reads the service manual.

you should remove the extra oil. you can buy a pump for $20-30. on amazon, that goes down the dipstick tube and takes a minute or two. i got one at sears for lawn tractors. or you can have a mechanic do it.

for now, pay no attention to the dealer, and follow the maintenance book that came with the car. you may want to change the tranny oil sometime in the next 20,000 miles or so, but it isn't absolutely necessary. my daughter has my old '08 with 90,000 miles and nothing done but oil, filters, tyres and recalls. enjoy your car, no worries, all the best!(y)

#2 bisco, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. Since around 2002 or 2003, all Prius have been shipped wth pink Super Long Life Coolant, where the factory-fill coolant is good for 100K miles.
    2. There is no problem taking your car to the dealer for service but as previously stated, you should rely more upon the maintenance schedule that Toyota has provided, and less upon your service writer's suggestions.
    3. When checking the engine coolant level, you need to remove the large black plastic panel over the radiator for access to the radiator cap. Do not rely only on looking at the overflow container.
    4. The easiest way to deal with the engine oil overfill situation is to open the drain plug and allow 1/2 quart of oil to come out, then replace the plug. Obviously that assumes access to the proper tools to accomplish this.
    5. Don't worry about the brake fluid, there is no need to replace it at this time.

4. TampaPrius.com

TampaPrius.com Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    P1121 code is for the coolant control valve sticking. This is about a $500 repair at the Toyota dealer and about $200-$250 at independent garage.

Here is a link to more info on this repair:
    P1121 - Coolant Control Valve Replacement (with pics) | PriusChat

If you are unable to find a local mechanic to do it for you I can do it for $200 + tax (parts and labor). I am in north Tampa (Lutz) and would prefer to do it after it sits overnight and the coolant is not hot.

To correct overfilled oil:
    Local Toyota dealers will usually have an oil change special or coupon on their website for $15-$20. You could have them do it and make sure they put the correct amount in. (3.5 qts is usually enough)