1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help popping fend joint back together!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Phil_in_CA, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Phil_in_CA

Phil_in_CA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi all,

I am a new forum member, but my wife has been a member (or at least a lurker...) since we bought her 2008 Touring.

A couple of days ago, while on a small highway, a dog ran out from a orchard and onto the road in front of us! I managed to move across the road and managed to only kiss it with a glancing blow on the front right corner panels, right under the headlight. The dog was big, like a pit bull, but apparently unharmed as it ran off so fast I couldn't see it, once I was stopped.

The upshot of this encounter is that the joint between the corner panel and the next one back (right under the headlight) is pushed in a bit and the joint came unconnected. I can see the joint tabs in the opening.

Anyone here have any experience popping this joint back together? I searched, but found nothing in the archives about this. I expect that using a hair dryer to warm up the plastic might make it easier to bend the tab(s)so they will go back together, but I am looking for advice.

Thanks for any comments/suggestions, but not looking for flames, as my flameproof "johns" are at the cleaners after the scare that dog gave us!

Phil

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't help, but happy to bump your thread. all the best!(y)

3. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Ask around your area for reputable independent body shops.
    My daughter in Atlanta had a similar problem with her last Toyota.
    The dealer quoted her $1300 for a new fender.
    The body shop fixed it in about 15 minutes and only charged $50.

4. Phil_in_CA

Phil_in_CA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, ER2... will check into that.

5. garglo

garglo Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Sounds like what happened to my rear bumper. I just pulled the bottom out and pushed the tabs in. Pushed hard with my knee and it snapped into place.