1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help Prius damages while traveling

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eastprius, Mar 23, 2013.

1. eastprius

eastprius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hey everyone I have a question about my 2011 Prius 4 and was traveling out of town and was pulling into a shopping center and went into a puddle that was hiding a dip about 6-8 inches and went through it at about 5 mph over the front driver wheel. It pretty hard and got out to look and take a picture it looks like the protective cover under the engine was cracked and knocked loose on several bolts I am attaching a picture. It seems to drive ok but does anyone know by looking what it is and if I should be worried or is it just cosmetic?

Thanks so much

Attached Files:

JMD likes this.
  2. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would be a lil worried about the radiator core support possibly having a lil damage

3. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Looks cosmetic to me. As long as you are not loosing fluids you should be fine.

4. The Dude

The Dude Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    dude, does it sound like this guy knows what a radiator core support is??? Lmao

JMD likes this.
  5. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I agree with Spiderman, if it still drives OK and no fluids are leaking you are good to go. Just keep and eye on coolant levels and look under it when you have parked it overnight to be sure nothing is leaking.

6. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :ROFLMAO:........he can ask if he doesn't.

7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I agree but until the lower covers are removed we're all just guessing.

I had a customer (fellow Gen3 owner) come for an oil change. While he was here he asked me too look at some minor damage his kid had done. He said he noticed a piece of the engine cover was hanging......so I look at it. At 1st it looked cosmetic but when I looked closer, the driver core support was pushed up about 1/4". This caused a gap I between the hood & the driver headlight. The car still drove straight & wasn't leaking any fluids yet there was some structural damage.

My point is this: just because he's not leaking fluids or driving fine doesn't mean there wasn't any structural damage done.

8. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    While it's possible that there's hidden damage, that area is not highly prone to damage and based upon the photo I think you're fine letting it go until you can get home to have it more carefully checked...unless/until you see error codes or leaking fluid.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    True enough Sean, but that is the best we can do with what we got to go on. Just about everything said on here is opinion and should be treated as such.

10. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree, that's why I said we're just guessing (y)

Just want to make sire the op got the best & worse case scenario :D