1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help understanding EMF readings...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Houston Hybrids, Apr 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Houston Hybrids

Houston Hybrids Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A friend of mine has been battling with some serious unexplainable health issues over the last year or so. She owns a Camry Hybrid and believes that the higher than normal EMF emissions are causing her problems. Some of her symptoms include: toe nails falling off, hair loss, rashes, numb feet, extreme fatigue. She brought her Camry over and her EMF reader and showed me that the gauge topped out, so we weren't able to get an accurate reading (it was this high even two feet away from the car). I took the same EMF reader and measured my Prii, which both read only about 4mg. She has offered to trade her car for one of mine (hers is a lot newer and I would love to) but I am not sure if this is wise considering all of this EMF business. I am not looking for a debate, just some advice and clarity on the issue. I want to help my friend, even if it is to reassure her that everything is normal.

Thanks,
    Jessica Camry_EMF.JPG

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There is no scientific evidence that non ionizing EMF is in any way harmful. (By this I just mean repeatable, double blind, experimentation) However, for the placebo effect alone, I would bet your friend would improve if you swapped cars. Since you know that it was not the actual cause of her symptoms, there is no reason for you to get any.

In previous EMF witch hunting, the strongest source of EMF in a Prius was the vent fan behind the rear passenger seat.
    I would test the Camry with the fans all off.

3. Houston Hybrids

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you,
    I tested it while it was parked and driving, but I don't remember if the fans were on or not... I just wonder why her reading was so much higher than in my Prii? She and her husband swapped cars for a few months and now he is complaining of health problems too btw. I think she should just get rid of it, but I'd like get a full understanding of what's really going on first before we make a swap.

Jessica

4. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a World Health Organization site: WHO | What are electromagnetic fields?

That does not say we won't find any in the future, just that no experiment we have devised does today.

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    In my opinion, they should be looking for OTHER environmental pollutants......that are real.
    Like an exhaust leak loading the cabin up with Carbon Monoxide or some other chemical.

Taking the meter to another similar Camry model might be interesting but isn't likely to prove ANYTHING.......unless the readings are vastly different maybe.

And as for her husband.......both of them really......the placebo effect is VERY powerful and shouldn't be overlooked.
    As long as they are concentrating on this EMF theory they probably are wasting valuable time that would be better spent looking for the real problem.

Bottom line for me would be: Do whatever is possible to make the situation better. Given the circumstances, eliminating the "offending" car completely would be at the top of my list of things to try.

P.S. I recently saw a demonstration from a company hyping LED home lighting and the "evils" of florescent lights that give off "massive amounts" of EMF (their words, not mine).

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't trust any organization to be completely open and honest about environmental health issues. without lack of long term specific testing, it's an open question imo. we do know that some people's dna is programmed to be more susceptible to certain disease's (and medications) than others. the best you can do is get a high quality meter and test the car in different area's, and compare the result's to a non hybrid camry. in the meantime, they should probably sell it and buy a regular camry for their mental if not physical health.

Houston Hybrids likes this.
  7. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That reading seems high regardless of whether it is creating a health problem. I would get it checked.

8. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    High relative to what exactly ??
    And what scientific purpose was the meter intended for ??
    Measuring potential interference to sensitive electronic equipment maybe ??
    And who is going to check it.......and what will they check FOR ??

9. Houston Hybrids

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    High relative to the Prius EMF. Scientific purpose was to see if the EMF was abnormally high, thus causing potential health problems. The measurement should not be that high compared to a Prius that is sitting five feet away from it. If anything it would be nice for her to have some definitive answers, but this topic is a bit taboo, making it tough ask for help without getting snarky or smug answers. I will do all the data collection that I can within my abilities to help her, but first I am reaching out for help in understanding the possible causes of these high readings so that I am well informed.

Jessica

10. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In other cars, fan motors seem very 'leaky' One suspects they are made to be cheap, not efficient.

11. Houston Hybrids

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jimbo, do you mean all the fans or just the battery fan?

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  13. Houston Hybrids

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh duh, lol. In my car the EMF was highest in the drivers floor well, which I am assuming has something to do with the inverter, and right by the HV battery itself.

14. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Drivers floor well near where the HVAC fan is? And if right by the HV battery is right by that vent at the rear passenger seat it may be that fan.

Or, I could be all wet.

15. Houston Hybrids

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will definitely look into that! I didn't know the HVAC fan was located there, thanks for the info :)

Jessica

16. xraydoug

xraydoug Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I wonder what the emf readings are near MRI, I would try to quantify what the readings are showing. If the emf of this car is 100 times or 1000 times more than your prius, there must be something wrong. I don't think it is likely the cause of the health issues. but I wouldn't want to drive a car if the emf was crazy compaired to other cars.

We have a 12 camry hybrid and we love it. 40 mpg, lots of power and drives great.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and hopefully, low emf.:)

18. Houston Hybrids

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd really like to test EMF in someone else's Camry, but I'd probably look like a freak if I asked a stranger in a parking lot somewhere. I think I might go "test drive" one at a dealership tomorrow lol.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Take a incremental approach to finding the source. Make all the measurements at the drives seat with the meter in the same orientation for every reading. Write down the readings because trying to remember everything is not going to pinpoint the source. Take and record the EMF in the following conditions.
    1) Start with the car completely off to determine the baseline reading
    2) Don't start the car but just turn on the AC, fans, radios, and anything else that can be turned on without putting the car in Ready.
    3) Turn everything off including the AC and put the car in ready.
    4) Turn on everything one thing at a time.
    5) Record, record, record.

20. Houston Hybrids

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you, I will do just that! The only problem is that everywhere in the car gave me the same reading while driving and while stationary. I will try again with the gadgets off and see if it changes!

Jessica

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.