1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Understanding Toyota Service History

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Guyana Hand, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Guyana Hand

Guyana Hand New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I put down a deposit on a 2008 Toyota Prius with 111,000 miles. As you might guess, I'm a little nervous about buying a car with that kinda mileage. I got it inspected, and the dealer agreed to replace the water pump, the drive belt and the 12v battery. I just pulled up the Toyota Service history, and the only two things that concern me are below. Can you help me understand this bit of the service history at 81,718 miles?

2508LA
    02/09/2013
    REPLACE THE HV ELECTRIC WATER PU
    COU RECALL ~|~ ~|~
    WARRANTY PAY

2510LC
    02/09/2013
    C0T INSP BOLT HOLE, REPL EXT SHF
    COT RECALL ~|~ ~|~
    WARRANTY PAY
    What does all this mean?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The first item means that the inverter coolant pump was replaced under a recall.
    The second item means that the steering shaft was inspected and a part was replaced, also under recall.

Both items are known and should not adversely affect your opinion of the car's service history.

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    HYBRID PROPULSION SYSTEM: INVERTER

Recall number: 12V536000
    Recall date: 11/14/2012
    Problem Summary:

TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2004-2009 PRIUS VEHICLES MANUFACTURED AUGUST 6, 2003, THROUGH MARCH 30, 2009 AND FCHV-ADV VEHICLES MANUFACTURED DECEMBER 12, 2008, THROUGH SEPTEMBER 13, 2011. DURING MANUFACTURING, A SCRATCH MAY HAVE OCCURRED INSIDE OF THE ELECTRICALLY DRIVEN WATER PUMP AT THE COIL WIRE. THE COIL WIRE MAY CORRODE AT THE SCRATCHED PORTION.
    Consequence:

THE CORRODED COIL WIRE MAY BREAK AND THE WATER PUMP COULD STOP. THE CORRODED COIL WIRE COULD CAUSE A SHORT CIRCUIT BETWEEN COIL WIRES AND A POSSIBLE OPEN FUSE, CREATING A STALL-LIKE CONDITION OF THE HYBRID SYSTEM WHILE THE VEHICLE IS BEING DRIVEN. THIS MAY INCREASE THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH.
    Corrective Action:

TOYOTA WILL NOTIFY ITS OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE ELECTRIC WATER PUMP, FREE OF CHARGE. THE MANUFACTURER HAS NOT YET PROVIDED A NOTIFICATION SCHEDULE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT THEIR TOYOTA DEALER OR THE TOYOTA CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE CENTER AT 1-800-331-4331.
    This recall affects vehicles manufactured between 08/06/2003 and 03/30/2009.

STEERING

Recall number: 12V537000
    Recall date: 11/14/2012
    Problem Summary:

TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2004-2009 PRIUS VEHICLES MANUFACTURED AUGUST 5, 2003, THROUGH MARCH 30, 2009. THE AFFECTED VEHICLES HAVE A STEERING INTERMEDIATE EXTENSION SHAFT ASSEMBLY BUILT WITH METAL SPLINES THAT COMPLETE THE CONNECTION FROM THE STEERING WHEEL TO THE STEERING GEAR. THESE SPLINES MAY HAVE BEEN MANUFACTURED WITH AN INSUFFICIENT HARDNESS.
    Consequence:

OVER TIME, THE SPLINES MAY WEAR AND EVENTUALLY FAIL RESULTING IN A LOSS OF STEERING ABILITY, INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH.
    Corrective Action:

TOYOTA WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE EXTENSION SHAFT AND REPLACE IT IF IT IS ONE WITH INSUFFICIENT HARDNESS, FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN IN DECEMBER 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT THEIR TOYOTA DEALER OR THE TOYOTA CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE CENTER AT 1-800-331-4331.
    This recall affects vehicles manufactured between 08/05/2003 and 03/30/2009.

4. Guyana Hand

Guyana Hand New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks! So it's nothing to be too worried about? I'm just nervous. It's my first car and the most expensive thing I've ever bought.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, the car does have 111K miles, so you should have some financial reserve available in the event that your Prius has a failure. The probability of a failure is not high but the financial impact of a failure (if it occurs) can be pretty high especially if you have to depend upon Toyota dealer service and install new parts.

6. Guyana Hand

Guyana Hand New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is good advice. I'll be somewhat tapped out in the first few months after the purchase, but I should be able to rebuild my savings fairly quickly. I know that I could've gotten a decent Civic or Corolla for the price I paid for the Prius, but well, I kinda fell in love with the Prius.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    One of the reasons we implore you to list a location, is that without one, all we can recommend is the Toyota dealer. If you list a location, someone may know a good mechanic. I am praying your screen name is not also your location.

8. Guyana Hand

Guyana Hand New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

LOL! No, I do not live in Guyana... I live in Orlando, FL. Thanks for the tip! Just joined today and would be glad to get a recommendation on a mechanic. Hopefully, I won't need one soon, but I'd rather be prepared just in case.