1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help with key fob not unlocking doors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mickey223, Apr 15, 2014.

1. mickey223

mickey223 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an 08 smart key Prius

I hit a deer in November on front passenger side. While in the shop the battery died and had to be replaced.

Since my panic alarm would go off at weird times.

I checked the aux 12v battery and it was fine.

After a couple of weeks it stopped.

It started again last week and I noticed the little red light on my fob was blinking.

I replaced the fob battery and now the smart key function and the buttons will not unlock the door.

I checked the battery and it reads 3.2v so it's good.

Interesting to note when I push the button on the fob the red light does not come on. However I can put the key in the slot and it will start. I was also able to program a new fob to start stop the car but can not program the sks as the buttons do not work.

The key worked fine until I changed the battery. I even checked the contacts to make sure they weren't bent.

Any suggestions?

TIA

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Make sure the SKS function is not turned off. Look under the dash, directly under the steering wheel. There is a button there to turn on/off SKS.

You can switch the batteries from the NEW fob and OLD fob, see if it makes a difference. The battery could be an issue.

3. mickey223

mickey223 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sks not turned off. And I tried new cr2032 battery and checked with meter and read 3.2v

The weird part is fob worked, came in, changed battery and fob doesn't work. Even the little red light on the fob doesn't blink when I hit a button.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe a stuck button? that's known to happen on the fobs.

5. mickey223

mickey223 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No stuck button. Good click on all three.

The part I can't figure out is the red light on the fob started blinking at work. Unlocked the car, and had to put key in slot. Drove home. Took it inside and changed battery. Now smart key doesn't work unless in slot :(

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can't program the new FOB properly without the old fob working. Did you try to switch the new fob battery to the old fob?

7. mickey223

mickey223 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok this is embarrassing. So I went and bought new batteries and it works like a charm. Still don't know why, as the first set of replacement batteries were reading 3.2v. Now I've got another dilemma.

I'm trying to program a new fob as my old fob broke in half. I can get it to program for start/stop but everytime I try the smart key function program the locks cycle twice at the end.

I follow all the steps and get to 9a of the chicken dance. Hit both buttons on the old fob, locks cycle, hit both buttons on the new fob then the lock button and locks immediately cycle twice.

Does this mean I have too many keys already programmed into the car? The reason I ask, is I bought it used so not sure what the prior owner had done to it. Second question. If it had more than five keys paired, would it still be able to program to start/stop the car while in the slot? Final question, if it has more than five keys, should I use the old fob as a master and delete all keys, then start over?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If the locks cycled twice that means your new fob is not new, already been registered to another car

SM-N900P ?

9. mickey223

mickey223 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you for all your help.

Looks like I need to take it back to the dealer and ask why he sold me a used key.

any good online source for new fobs?

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like using Camelback toyota, they have an online catalog and free shipping after $150. The key will run you about 107 dollars, if you want free shipping, buy filters are plugs or anything else you need

SM-N900P ?